May Day is American

  • harley doerfler
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2008
      Good Morning
      Well I leearned something today and really have to pass lit on.
      When we hear of May Daywe think of Commuisum and USSR< but when I looked it up I found it was American. So I encourage you to check it out and hhave fun.
      Have a great May Day
      hugs
      Blessings
      Harley

      Eight-Hour Movement Started in America
      The 8-hour day movement which directly gave birth to May Day, must, however, be traced to the general movement initiated in the United States in 1884. However, a generation before a national labor organization, which at first gave great promise of developing into a militant organizing center of the American working class, took up the question of a shorter workday and proposed to organize a broad movement in its behalf. The first years of the Civil War, 1861-1862, saw the disappearance of the few national trade unions which had been formed just before the war began, especially the Molders' Union and the Machinists' and Blacksmiths' Union. The years immediately following, however, witnessed the unification on a national scale of a number of local labor organizations, and the urge for a national federation of all these unions became apparent. On August 20, 1866, there gathered in Baltimore delegates from three scores of trade unions who formed the National Labor Union. The movement for the national organization was led by William H. Sylvis, the leader of the reconstructed Molders' Union, who, although a young man, was the outstanding figure in the labor movement of those years. Sylvis was in correspondence with the leaders of the First International in London and helped to influence the National Labor Union to establish relations with the General Council of the International.
      It was at the founding convention of the National Labor Union in 1866 that the following resolution was passed d