Fw: First UU Austin Announcements, June 2 to June 10

  • Stephanie N. Canada
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2012

      First UU Austin Announcements, June 2 to June 10
      FUUCA Announcements ...
      First Unitarian
Universalist Church of Austin-logo
      The First Unitarian Universalist Church of Austin's announcements for the week of June 2–10, 2012 are now available here.

      HIGHLIGHTS

      Sunday, June 3
      Adult Choir Joined by Austin Symphony Orchestra Musicians for Bach Cantata
      10 a.m., the Sanctuary
      Our first summer service will feature a classic Cantata by baroque master J.S. Bach. The Adult Choir will be joined by a chamber ensemble of instrumentalists from the Austin Symphony Orchestra and guest soloists from Conspirare and Texas Choral Consort. Don’t miss this season’s final major work!

      Forum: “Up from Here? Challenges of and Barriers to Economic Revival
      with James K. Galbraith PhD
      11:30 a.m., the Sanctuary

      This talk is one of a series sponsored by First UU Church addressing the question “How Much is Enough?” Dr. Galbraith will discuss his recent research on inequality in the world economy and on the financial crisis. He will highlight trends toward concentration of wealth in the hands of a few and attendant political and social risks. Dr. Galbraith holds the Lloyd M. Bentsen Jr. Chair of Government/Business Relations at the LBJ School of Public Affairs at UT–Austin and a professorship in Government. His most recent book, Inequality and Instability: A Study of the World Economy, has just been published by Oxford University Press. In the 1990s he served as the chief technical adviser for macroeconomic reform to the People’s Republic of China. He is a Senior Scholar with the Levy Economics Institute and president of the Association for Evolutionary Economics.

      Worship Service: “Gold in the Shadow”
      with Rev. Meg Barnhouse
      10 a.m., the Sanctuary

      Carl Jung spoke of the “shadow side” of personalities and concepts. In the shadow are all of the elements we’d rather not acknowledge. If we believe
      pride makes us bad, our pride will be in the shadow side. If we believe leisure is lazy, our resting self will be in the despised shadow. There is much value to be gained by being aware of one’s shadow side.

      Friday, June 8

      Eclectic Folk Jam
      Howson Hall, 7–10 p.m.
      This summer the Eclectic Folk Jam, a jam session for singers and instrumentalists, will be held on second Fridays (July 13 and Aug. 10). Suggested song material includes 1960s folk, bluegrass, Appalachian, blues, Dixieland, cowboy, gospel, original and the Rise Up Singingsongbook. Potluck snacks and drinks encouraged. More info: Pete and Kim Akenhead, 512-834-0188 or Mary Jane Ford, singalong@....

      Additional Announcements

      Help Wanted: Lead Teachers Needed for Children’s Program (CYPC)
      Year Round beginning Sept. 9, 2012
      Teach 2–3rd grade and 4–5 grade classes during both services
      Prepare and lead lessons (and prepare/gather supplies as needed)
      Provide guidance to classroom assistants
      Will consider job-sharing
      All interested apply to Barbara@.... NOTE: Church members can only be considered as volunteers. Non-members can be compensated as staff.

      If you do not want to continue receiving these emails from the First UU Church of Austin, please use this link to unsubscribe.
      To change your email address, please use this link.
      Follow these links for additional information:
      Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp