Tied for Division Lead

  • Scott Coulter
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
      Well, we are tied for the division lead.  KC beat the TBR last night.  However we play BRS in Fenway and TBR play KC in KC, and KC has already thrown their ace, Zach Greinke.  I suppose this could be exciting but the only thing I will find interesting is which Joe Girardi will show up.  Will it be Joe who wants to with the division?  Will it be Joe who wants to set up things for the playoffs?  Bigger question: At this point does it matter?

      --
      "I want to die quietly, in my sleep, like my grand father did.  Not screaming and crying like the people in his car...."

      Scott Coulter

    • Scott Coulter
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010

        Keep in mind as part of the issue, TBR own the tiebreaker if we wind up tied at the end of the weekend.  They won more head-to-head games during the season and so we would probably have to win all 3 to even think about the division.  Will that be too much to ask?

        Well, we are tied for the division lead.  KC beat the TBR last night.  However we play BRS in Fenway and TBR play KC in KC, and KC has already thrown their ace, Zach Greinke.  I suppose this could be exciting but the only thing I will find interesting is which Joe Girardi will show up.  Will it be Joe who wants to with the division?  Will it be Joe who wants to set up things for the playoffs?  Bigger question: At this point does it matter?

        --
        "I want to die quietly, in my sleep, like my grand father did.  Not screaming and crying like the people in his car...."

        Scott Coulter

        Congratulations to the NY Yankes on their 27th World Series Championship!!

        Scott

      • mikeman341@writeme.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
            Scott,
            We've got Andy going tonight and I expect a decent start out of him, we've got AJ going tomorrow night and TBD for Sunday...it's look iffy to take all three.  If at all possible, I'd still like the road to the WS to go through the Bronx but who knows?  After tonight and tomorrow, we'll have a much better idea where we stand on the whole thing.  If Sunday brings the potential of home field advantage throughout the playoffs I can see Joe going this way:  Nova for 4-5, Gaudin for 2-3, Robertson, Wood and Mo...and why not?  You'd still have 2 days of rest coming up and your ace going on Weds.  A whole lot will depend on how much the bullpen is used today and tomorrow but if comes down to a Sunday victory meaning HF advantage, I see no reason to hold back.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
              I expect TBR to win the rest of their games.  KC just isn't very good.  Boston will not roll over for us, I suspect they will even say, "Not in our house," and try to keep us from the division title.  I see Andy doing well tonight.  I don't know if AJ realizes it but he is pitching for his playoff life and maybe even his life as a Yankee.  Not sure what happened to him but when he is not on it isn't just bad, it's awful.  Yet one can see he has the stuff.  I like your TBD schedule, I would limit Nova to 4, with Gaudin for 2, maybe an unknown like Sanchez for 2 and then if we have a lead, all hands on deck!  That supposes we're still in it though.  We'll have to see!  Go Yanks!!!

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
                Speaking of the playoffs how come nobody's harping about all the money the OTHER clubs spent to get where they're at?  We know TBR is mostly homegrown or trade personnel but the Twinkies and the Rangers spent pretty good during the offseason and during the season, as did the Phillies...they did give up an awful lot for Doc.

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
                  The Twins especially.  When Carl Pohlad died his sons took over, much like what we have, except they are spenders instead of tightwads like old Carl.  He could have bought George Steinbrenner five or six times over and yet every year pocketed the luxury tax money as profit owed to him personally for owning the team.  Twins will be much better now that more team-oriented people have realized that crowds come to see winners play baseball.