Fazaile_Sadaqaat (Chapter 6d Hadith 16)

  • ***hajikhan***
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2007

      Rasulullah Sallallaho alaihe wasallam said, `When anyone of you looks
      at someone who is superior to him in wealth or in good looks, he
      should also look at someone who is inferior to him in these respects'.

      The Hadith may be explained further by an example: Suppose you come
      across a millionaire and feel envious of his fortune, saying
      regretfully to yourself, `This man has been granted abundant wealth,
      while I have but a little money'. Then, at the same time, you should
      also think of a person who is even poorer than yourself and has often
      to go without food. If you do so, your regret for your poverty will
      be replaced by gratefulness to Allah Ta'ala for having saved you from
      starvation.

      Another Hadith says: `Do not look at those who are superior to you in
      wealth, but look at those who are inferior to you; that will keep you
      from belittling those favours that Allah Ta'ala has bestowed upon
      you'. (Mishkaat)

      Abu Zarr Ghifari Radhiallaho anho narrates: `My dearest friend
      Rasulullah Sallallaho alaihe wasallam advised me to observe seven
      things: (1) he commanded me to love the poor and keep their company;
      (2) he commanded me not to look at those who are superior to me (in
      wealth) and advised me to look at those who are inferior to me in
      this respect; (3) he commanded me to join ties of relationship, even
      when the relatives turn away from me; (the version in Targheeb-wa-
      Tarheeb has: even when the relatives do me wrong); (4) he commanded
      me not to ask anyone for anything; (5) he commanded me to speak the
      truth even if it is bitter; (6) he engaged me not to care for the
      reproach of anyone while I am engaged in seeking the pleasure of
      Allah Ta'ala; (7) he commanded me to recite this phrase frequently:

      La haula wa la quwatha ila billah

      `There is no might and no power except in Allah'

      for, he said, these words have come down from a Treasure just under
      Allah's Throne' (The `Arsh') (Mishkaat). There are several
      narrations regarding the importance of reciting this Ayat frequently.

      It has been narrated in another Hadith that Rasulullah Sallallaho
      alaihe wasallam once said, `A person who possesses two
      characteristics will be counted by Allah Ta'ala among those who are
      patient and grateful to Him: he who looks up to his superiors in
      religious matters and tries to follow their example; and he who looks
      at those who are inferior to him in worldly matters and feels
      grateful to Allah Ta'ala for bestowing His Bounties. Such a person
      will be recorded as a patient and grateful person. But he who looks
      at his inferiors in matters of religion (and considers that so-and-so
      is not half as good as I am, in performance of virtues) and is
      jealous of those who are superior to him in worldly matters, grieving
      over what has not been granted to him, such a one will not be
      recorded by Allah Ta'ala as a grateful or patient person'. (Mishkaat)

      Aun bin Abdullah Rahmatullah alaihe says that he used to sit in
      company with rich people and was always grieving. The reason was
      that when he saw someone dressed in fine clothes, or riding an
      excellent horse, better than his own, he was filled with grief
      because he felt inferior to other people. Then he began to associate
      with poor people and this painful feeling of inferiority disappeared,
      because he saw that his own dress and riding beast, etc., were
      superior to theirs. (Ihya)

      The Ulama advise that one should marry a woman who is poorer than
      oneself, and not a wealthy woman. For, he who marries a prosperous
      woman, will have to bear many hardships, for example: (i) He will
      have to settle a large amount as a dower. (i) It will take a long
      time before she joins her husband, because her parents will delay
      sending her to his house and offer many excuses. (iii) He will feel
      shy of asking her to serve him (iv) She will demand large amounts of
      money for expenses. (v) If he wants to divorce her, he will not be
      able to do so, for fear of losing the fortune that she possesses.
      They say that a wife should preferably be inferior to her husband in
      four things, or else he will not command her respect: age, height,
      wealth, lineage. And she should be superior to her husband with
      regard to four things: beauty, manners, piety, good habits. (Ihya)

      Once a person came to a Sufi Sheikh and complained to him about his
      own poverty, saying that he was in great distress and would prefer
      death to such a life. The Sheikh said to him, `Are you willing to
      have your eyes taken out in exchange for ten thousand Dirhams'. He
      replied, `Certainly not'. The Sheikh said `Would you like to have
      your tongue plucked out and get ten thousand Dirhams in return?' The
      man said, `Of course not'. The Sheikh said, `Would you agree to
      having both your hands and feet cut off in return for twenty thousand
      Dirhams'. The man said that he would not. The Sheikh asked, `Are you
      willing to be made a mad man and get ten thousand Dirhams in return?'
      The man said that he was not willing. At this, the Sheikh said to
      him, `Are you not ashamed of yourself? You admit that Allah Ta'ala
      has granted you so many precious gifts, the value whereof, in your
      own estimation, exceeds fifty thousand Dirhams (counting only a few
      gifts, by way of illustration) and yet you complain of poverty!'

      It is said that once Ibne Sammak Rahmatullah alaihe paid a visit to a
      king. It so chanced that, when the Sheikh greeted him, the king was
      holding a tumbler of water in his hand. He said to the Sheikh, `Give
      me a word of advice'. The Sheikh said, `Supposing this tumbler of
      water could be had only at the cost of your entire kingdom and you
      had to choose between dying of thirst and giving your kingdom away,
      which one would you prefer?' The king replied, `I would naturally
      prefer a tumbler of water and part with my entire kingdom'. The
      Sheikh said, `Then, I do not understand why anyone should take joy in
      a kingdom which is worth only a tumbler of water'. These two
      incidents show that each one of us has been granted, by Allah Ta'ala,
      such precious gifts, the value whereof cannot be determined in terms
      of millions and billions.

      The bounties referred to above have been bestowed upon almost
      everybody but, if we consider carefully, we shall see that each one
      of us have been granted, by Allah Ta'ala, certain special favours as
      an exclusive privilege. Of these, there are three things in which
      everybody claims to excel others. First, there is the faculty of
      reason; even the dullest fool considers himself to be the wisest of
      all men and boasts of his own superior understanding. This claim to
      distinction, true or false, proves that the man believes himself to
      be specially favoured by Allah Ta'ala. Is it not incumbent upon him
      to be thankful to Allah Ta'ala more than anybody else?

      Secondly, everybody considers himself to be superior to others in
      good habits. Each one of us can pin-point, in everybody else, some
      habit which he considers to be undesirable. In other words,
      everybody believes himself to be perfect in manners and thinks that
      everybody else is suffering from some flaw. For, no one is willing
      to give up his habits, nor does anybody think any of his own habits
      to be questionable. Some people do occasionally acknowledge their
      bad habits, but it is mere affection, not from their heart. Is it
      not then incumbent upon the man, who praises his own habits to be
      grateful to Allah Ta'ala for granting him this favour, even though he
      finds someone else superior to himself in some other respect?

      Thirdly, everybody knows better than others about his personal
      affairs and about his own state, and no one else can claim to excel
      his knowledge in this respect. Besides, there are certain facts
      about everyone's personal and inner life, which he wants to conceal
      from others, at all costs. So, it is a great favour of Allah Ta'ala
      that He has put a veil over all that is unseemly in us. Thus, Allah
      Ta'ala has, so to say, fulfilled the desire of everybody to keep his
      weak points concealed from others. And for this great favour also,
      everybody should be grateful to Allah Ta'ala. Likewise, there are
      thousands of gifts and privileges bestowed by Allah Ta'ala upon
      everybody, which he values above everything else and which he is not
      willing to exchange for other bounties of the same or of a different
      kind. Take, for example, the privilege of being a human being:
      nobody would like to be changed into a monkey. Similarly, few men
      would like to lose their masculinity and become a female, no Mo'min
      can think of losing his Imaan (faith) and become a non-believer, no
      Hafiz (one who knows the Qur'an by heart) would like to change his
      lot with that of a non-Hafiz; no scholar of divinity (`Alim) would
      prefer any other status for himself; nobody who is handsome would
      like to be deprived of his good features; no parent would like to be
      made childless, and so on. In short, each one of us is enjoying
      certain special privileges in matters relating to manners,
      appearance, character, family connections, prestige, social status,
      etc., which he is most unwilling to exchange for any other thing. Is
      it, then, not correct to say that each one of us has been granted, by
      Allah Ta'ala, thousands of special favours which have been denied to
      others? And, is it not unbecoming of a person to be ungrateful to
      Allah Ta'ala and to look enviously at another one who is possessed of
      some other bounty? So if you find someone possessing abundant wealth,
      you should think of the numerous bounties (mentioned above). You
      will find that, on the whole, you are more highly favoured than the
      object of your envy (or jealousy). (Ihya)

      As regards the wealth in his possession, nobody knows what is going
      to become of it; whether it will be a source of ease and comfort for
      him or cause trouble for him. For, Rasulullah Sallallaho alaihe
      wasallam once said, `Do not feel envious of a wicked person for his
      possessing a bounty: for you do not know what misery he is going to
      encounter after his death. Allah Ta'ala has decreed for a wicked man
      a damnation i.e. Jahannam that knows no ending'. (Mishkaat) We shall
      discuss this subject, in detail, under the Hadith that follows
      immediately.

      " Riyad-us-Saliheen"
      "FAZA'IL-E-A'MAAL "
             Available Online