Number of TX-802 Factory Presets

  • neurokrash
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2010
      I've tried to load the file located here, but I'm not sure it is working correctly, as I'm only getting 32 performances.

      Were there only 32 performances from the factory, or should there be 54 as stated in another post?

      I would be interested in any other performances that might be available. I've found lots of sources for voice patches, but none of the collections I've looked through contain any TX-802 performances.

      Thanks
    • Alan Probandt
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2010
        I would believe that it's 32. These are old machines from the late 1980s. Memory was expensive and limited. Everything digital on microprocessor-based equipment from that era was in units of 2^n (2 x 2 x 2 ...). 32 is 2 raised to the 5th. The TX81Z (from 1987) has 32 internal voice slots and the TG77 has 64 user voice slots in four banks of 16.
        The TX802 is from 1986 or 1987 so it would have the same 2^n configurations.
      • Renata Dokmanovic
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2010
          Hi,

          TX802 has 64 internal performances, in format that is not compatible neither with DX5 nor DX7II performance format.
          These are 3 different dumps.

          Renata

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2010
            That's exactly it. There are 64 slots, and the syx file here only loaded 32 for me, so I wanted to verify whether this is all that was supposed to be included (for example, if the TX-802 shipped with half of the performances empty) or if I may be doing something wrong.

            I would be interested to hear if there are any collections of TX-802 sounds with performances for this model.

            Thanks
          • Nicole Massey
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2010
              Yes. It's a DX bank format, with A and B banks of 32 programs, one each of
              the above in the internal and one in the cartridge in easy access, making
              128 programs in total.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 5, 2010

                > Also check the ROM version:
                > Press en hold [8] and [9] and Power [ON]
                > A known issue with V1.0 : it will not accept performance 33~64

                It is version 1.0, so the question is, what can I do about it? Is there a upgrade available, or any workaround to get these performances loaded?

                Thanks for pointing this out.
              • Renata Dokmanovic
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 5, 2010
                  Workaround.
                  Don't know about the update, but you can easily split perf files to 32 full + 32 empty. It's not a big deal...just work with 32 perfs (like in e.g. DX7II)
                  Btw, there are just a few perf files round the net, so you wont miss anything special. If you want, I can send you an example.

                  Hope this will ease your problem :-)

                  Best regards,
                  Renata