Can you help with this song

  • star9gem
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
      I have been trying to identify this song for 30 odd years now. With the collective musical knowledge in this group, I'm hoping someone will be able to identify this song. I taped it from a local radio station in the mid to late 70s.

      Please take a few minutes to listen to it. Even if you don't know who it is it's still a pretty cool song.

      I'm posting this to several groups so my apologies in advance if you receive it more than once.

      Thanks mes amis and peace to all.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upYi4Xz90jc
    • charlie from PARRY
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
        it appears to be very
        very
        similar to
        "will you ...still love me....tommoor-er row?

        but like a medley of musical talent ,

        maybe tributing the great great talent of pioneering performers from
        earlier years

        you know like a loose jam /fushion of any song thats in the same key ,
        while warming up
        or practisiing

        pre form - avant garde
        but with structure and repetion and no off notes.

        hopefully not contridicting

        thats my best opinion
        charles

        > I have been trying to identify this song for 30 odd years now. With the
        collective musical knowledge in this group, I'm hoping someone will be able
        to identify this song. I taped it from a local radio station in the mid to
        late 70s.

        > Please take a few minutes to listen to it. Even if you don't know who it
        is it's still a pretty cool song.

        > I'm posting this to several groups so my apologies in advance if you
        receive it more than once.

        > Thanks mes amis and peace to all.
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upYi4Xz90jc

      • walter wood
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
          It is quite impressive, and I hear hooks, phrases, and changes from many , many
          songs, but nothing specific comes to mind.
          My guess, since it came from a college radio station is that is an original
          written someone(s) who taught or attended college there.
          I like it though.
          Walter

          Walter Wood
          United TV Service
          501 Poplar St.
          Pulaski Tn. 38478

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2009
            This sounds like a band from the IL area called "Crack the Sky".  One fantastic band, indeed.

            I have been trying to identify this song for 30 odd years now. With the collective musical knowledge in this group, I'm hoping someone will be able to identify this song. I taped it from a local radio station in the mid to late 70s.

            Please take a few minutes to listen to it. Even if you don't know who it is it's still a pretty cool song.

            .

          • Gregg Sheehan
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2009
              It's not CTS, I think.........I have both of their albums for some strange reason- I must have thought they were good at the time. Crack the Sky was way more pop rock than prog if memory serves. It does sound like NorthAmericans and not Euro-prog-meisters from the production values and instrumentation, though.

              Gregg Sheehan

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2009
                Hello,  This song MIGHT be by the Dutch 1970s classical/art-rock band called Focus.  They had an early 1970s minor hit in the USA called 'Hocus-Pocus'.  They were primarily instrumental, classically trained, very dense, and the guitarist had the compressed Les Paul sound similar to this recording.

                Alan Probandt   Portland, OR

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2009
                  I know Focus very well -- I have several of their albums. However, I can't
                  access the Youtube video, as Flash and screen readers don't get along. If
                  the original poster will send me a clip of the file offline, I'll be able to
                  probably tell if it's Focus pretty quickly, and possibly even the tune.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 3, 2009
                    Definitely not Focus. I have all the recording and bootlegs. They were a favorite, in the day. Jan Akkerman's guitar style is dead easy to hear and it ain't there. Also ThisVan Leer the keyboard/ flutist would never play such pompous fromage, I'm certain. It sounds American.

                    Gregg Sheehan

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 3, 2009
                      speaking of which
                      i know a german band called "sweet smoke"
                      or a latin/itialian band called "petra"

                      , same thing 69-79 era ,

                       that sound very similar ,,,,do you need to know the exact name or maybe happy finding other musics which sounds similar?

                      charles

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2009
                        A friend of mine says it sounds a lot like a band called Nektar. They put
                        out six albums. (he has five of them so far)

                        I have been trying to identify this song for 30 odd years now. With
                        the collective musical knowledge in this group, I'm hoping someone will be
                        able to identify this song. I taped it from a local radio station in the mid
                        to late 70s.

                        Please take a few minutes to listen to it. Even if you don't know
                        who it is it's still a pretty cool song.

                        I'm posting this to several groups so my apologies in advance if you
                        receive it more than once.

                        Thanks mes amis and peace to all.

                        http://www.youtube com/watch? v=upYi4Xz90jc
                        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upYi4Xz90jc>

                        ________________________________

                        boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail
                        <http://ca.promos.yahoo.com/newmail/overview2/>
                      • Lee Borrell
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 4, 2009
                          I can see where the "Focus" suggestion came from - the ENID often created things around classical themes - but it doesn't sound like their work - I agree with the Mellotron contribution on Youtube - like the Fractal scene in the video!

                          ____________ _________ _________ __

                          boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail
                          <http://ca.promos. yahoo.com/ newmail/overview 2/>

                        • Frank de Ruiter
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 4, 2009

                            The Mellotron contribution was mine. I don't know the song but I think this could be an important factor in this song. If this song is from a well known band it must be named somewhere where they talk about Mellotrons. If someone recognise the song it is even better, if not, I would search under Mellotrons.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 5, 2009
                              With special thanks to a member of another Yahoo group who went way beyond what I might have hoped for, Michael Quatro's "In Collaboration With The Gods" is indeed the song!!!

                              I am over-awed by the response to this posting. Amazingly, this has been remastered to CD and can be purchased at

                              /www.cafepress.com/quatrosales/1702652/

                              Along with what appears to be all his albums.

                              A heartfelt thank you to everyone who helped.

                              Merry Christmas and peace to all...