USB MIDI interface for Mac?

  • Greg Gaub
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
      Heya, peeps!
      I've been setting up my music stuff, the youngest bit being over 15
      years old, all the way back to the oldest, my DX7 mark1. Well, I pulled
      out my old Mac Classic II, which had been my sequencing machine, to find
      that it just doesn't work any more. Not sure what's wrong with it, but
      at this point, it doesn't matter. It's going to the great pile of old
      PCs in the sky soon. Fortunately, I've already got a nice replacement in
      my MacBook. It's not the latest and greatest by any means, but it is an
      intel one with OSX, so at least I'm there. I've got Garage Band and
      whatnot, but what I NEED right now is some kind of reasonably priced
      MIDI interface and some suggestions for low-cost or free software for
      sequencing and more importantly, sysex dumping and loading.
      After some searching, I found a few 1-in-1-out things for between $20
      and $30, but I'd prefer more ins and outs. There's another with
      1-in-2-out for about $30, but I'd rather have at least 2 in.
      My set up is pretty basic. I've got a DX-7 and a TG-33. I'd like both of
      those to be able to output to the computer for sysex and other data
      without having to unplug and plug cables each time I want to switch. I
      also have a MIDIVerb that would be nice to control, but I think it can
      live with a "thru" rather than a dedicated out. So, I guess I NEED a
      2-in-2-out interface of some kind. M-Audio Midiman has a suitable model,
      but I've been out of the scene so long, I've never heard of them. as far
      as I know, they could be some cheap-ass Chinese knockoff product. I
      remember MOTU made some great stuff, but I don't need a big-ol' 16x16
      rack mount thing. Do they make something smaller?

      So, yeah... I'm a little overwhelmed. And so, I'm asking for your guy's
      recommendations.
      Help a guy out?

      Thanks!
      -Greg
    • narfman96
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
        Hi Greg,
        The Midiman Midisport is a decent product. I have two 1x1's and a 2x2 that I use on several PC's. Though I can't speak for an OSX Mac I've never had an issue with any of thehardware or drivers in Windoze. The 2x2 is even in a metal box that seems rugged. The Motu Fastlane is 2x2 but I haven't used it. One thing for sure Motu will have good drivers for Macs.... It is plastic though.
        Fran
        --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, Greg Gaub <mailing.lists@...> wrote:

        > Heya, peeps!
        > I've been setting up my music stuff, the youngest bit being over 15
        > years old, all the way back to the oldest, my DX7 mark1. Well, I pulled
        > out my old Mac Classic II, which had been my sequencing machine, to find
        > that it just doesn't work any more. Not sure what's wrong with it, but
        > at this point, it doesn't matter. It's going to the great pile of old
        > PCs in the sky soon. Fortunately, I've already got a nice replacement in
        > my MacBook. It's not the latest and greatest by any means, but it is an
        > intel one with OSX, so at least I'm there. I've got Garage Band and
        > whatnot, but what I NEED right now is some kind of reasonably priced
        > MIDI interface and some suggestions for low-cost or free software for
        > sequencing and more importantly, sysex dumping and loading.
        > After some searching, I found a few 1-in-1-out things for between $20
        > and $30, but I'd prefer more ins and outs. There's another with
        > 1-in-2-out for about $30, but I'd rather have at least 2 in.
        > My set up is pretty basic. I've got a DX-7 and a TG-33. I'd like both of
        > those to be able to output to the computer for sysex and other data
        > without having to unplug and plug cables each time I want to switch. I
        > also have a MIDIVerb that would be nice to control, but I think it can
        > live with a "thru" rather than a dedicated out. So, I guess I NEED a
        > 2-in-2-out interface of some kind. M-Audio Midiman has a suitable model,
        > but I've been out of the scene so long, I've never heard of them. as far
        > as I know, they could be some cheap-ass Chinese knockoff product. I
        > remember MOTU made some great stuff, but I don't need a big-ol' 16x16
        > rack mount thing. Do they make something smaller?
        >
        > So, yeah... I'm a little overwhelmed. And so, I'm asking for your guy's
        > recommendations.
        > Help a guy out?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > -Greg

      • moscowmac
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
          Hey Greg,

          Check out the Edirol (Roland child) UM-3ex interface. I got that recently when I upgraded to a new iMac from a 10 year old Mac system. It's a USB2 3x3 interface which can be expanded with additional units to provide even more physical ports. Costs around $70 but I believe anything cheaper has less I/O. It's plug & play on the Mac. Top quality, reliable, low latency. One note is don't mistakenly think the USB ports on it can act as a general purpose USB hub. They only support extension Edirol units.

          For sequencing, Garageband may very well be all you need. It can do most of the Midi basics, has integrated instruments/loops, and will cost you nothing. Always gets a top recommendation from the professional reviewers. Don't jump to buy another program until you get your interface and give Garageband a serious checkout. I have Logic particularly for its detailed scoring capability but GB is really a very nice program too.

          Search and download the free "SysEx" software for Mac. I use it and it works perfectly for general dumps and loads.

          You are a lot closer to a nice system than you think!

          --- Greg

          --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, Greg Gaub <mailing.lists@...> wrote:

          > Heya, peeps!
          > I've been setting up my music stuff, the youngest bit being over 15
          > years old, all the way back to the oldest, my DX7 mark1. Well, I pulled
          > out my old Mac Classic II, which had been my sequencing machine, to find
          > that it just doesn't work any more. Not sure what's wrong with it, but
          > at this point, it doesn't matter. It's going to the great pile of old
          > PCs in the sky soon. Fortunately, I've already got a nice replacement in
          > my MacBook. It's not the latest and greatest by any means, but it is an
          > intel one with OSX, so at least I'm there. I've got Garage Band and
          > whatnot, but what I NEED right now is some kind of reasonably priced
          > MIDI interface and some suggestions for low-cost or free software for
          > sequencing and more importantly, sysex dumping and loading.
          > After some searching, I found a few 1-in-1-out things for between $20
          > and $30, but I'd prefer more ins and outs. There's another with
          > 1-in-2-out for about $30, but I'd rather have at least 2 in.
          > My set up is pretty basic. I've got a DX-7 and a TG-33. I'd like both of
          > those to be able to output to the computer for sysex and other data
          > without having to unplug and plug cables each time I want to switch. I
          > also have a MIDIVerb that would be nice to control, but I think it can
          > live with a "thru" rather than a dedicated out. So, I guess I NEED a
          > 2-in-2-out interface of some kind. M-Audio Midiman has a suitable model,
          > but I've been out of the scene so long, I've never heard of them. as far
          > as I know, they could be some cheap-ass Chinese knockoff product. I
          > remember MOTU made some great stuff, but I don't need a big-ol' 16x16
          > rack mount thing. Do they make something smaller?
          >
          > So, yeah... I'm a little overwhelmed. And so, I'm asking for your guy's
          > recommendations.
          > Help a guy out?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > -Greg

        • Greg Gaub
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
            moscowmac wrote:

            >Check out the Edirol (Roland child) UM-3ex interface. I got that recently when I upgraded to a new iMac from a 10 year old Mac system. It's a USB2 3x3 interface which can be expanded with additional units to provide even more physical ports. Costs around $70 but I believe anything cheaper has less I/O. It's plug & play on the Mac. Top quality, reliable, low latency. One note is don't mistakenly think the USB ports on it can act as a general purpose USB hub. They only support extension Edirol units.

            That looks like a nice option. At least I know the Roland name, and it
            sounds like the offspring is following in the father's footsteps. :)
            3x3 would give me some expansion room, like if I ever replace that
            SHS-10 I stupidly sold back in college (smacks head), which I like. $70
            seems the going price for anyone that has any in stock, which isn't much
            more than the $50 I was seeing for the 2x2. I'll definitely keep an eye
            on that one.

            >For sequencing, Garageband may very well be all you need. It can do most of the Midi basics, has integrated instruments/loops, and will cost you nothing. Always gets a top recommendation from the professional reviewers. Don't jump to buy another program until you get your interface and give Garageband a serious checkout. I have Logic particularly for its detailed scoring capability but GB is really a very nice program too.

            Interesting. I've only just begun playing with it. I didn't realize it
            was so much more than just a loop shuffler. :)

            >Search and download the free "SysEx" software for Mac. I use it and it works perfectly for general dumps and loads.

            Awesome, thanks!

            >You are a lot closer to a nice system than you think!

            Hehe, well, *I* think it's a nice system. I just didn't want to start a
            cock fight. ;-) My pride and joy is my original Mackie Micro Series
            1202. I just love that little mixer. :)
            I'm more or less still using what's seen here:
            http://www.ggaub.com/dx7/images/myrig.jpg
            Minus the Mac Classic and the tape deck, both of which are being
            replaced by the MacBook. :)

            Thanks for your help!
            -Greg
          • moscowmac
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
              Yes, you do already have a nice little music system! Not too many technological distractions. I had the same Mackie 1202, which was nice until it crapped out. That failure always surprised me given their high level of quality.
              For a simple high quality audio interface, consider the Lexicon Alpha. Low price and you won't be paying for extra midi ports you won't need.

              Regards, Greg