Casio VZ-1

  • Scott Nordlund
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2002
      Just curious, but has anyone here tried the Casio VZ-1 or VZ-10m?

      I've been thinking about selling my TX7 and either getting a TX802 or a
      VZ-10M

      I'm leaning toward the Casio because they're cheaper and have multiple
      waveforms and nice envelopes, and a nice display

      I think the only thing I'll really be missing out on is the microtonal
      abilities of the TX802.

      Anyway, does anyone have experience with both synths? Any advice?

    • djgj@freenet.de
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2002
        I�ve tried a VZ-1, which I borrowed from a friend. It�s an amazing machine indeed, but also hard to programm sounds (isn�t it the same with FM?). Nevertheless I loved it and I still look for one to buy (actually a VZ-1M, the rack module version). But still I also love my TX802, although the buttons don�t work very well any more.
        The VZ-1�s system of tone generation is a little different from FM synthesis, I forgot the way it works. But I remember, that it has quite a large amount of potential soundwise. You can get a lot of sound categories out of it, if you are willing to learn the system and get some experience. Actually I would say, both of them have their weaknesses (very complex), but also their strenght. For the FM synth counts, that you can get tons of sounds for them, but nearly none for the VZ. The same is with info on the internet.
        Ok, I know about prices and budget - it is never enough money in my pocket ;-). From that side you should simply look, what you can get and what you can afford...
        By the way: I never really tried to programm microtuning scales, but anyway it is a really tough job!

        Hope this helps a little...

        If anyone likes, visit my website "http://go.to/THEKLANGCOLLAGE". There is also a page about the TX802 and a.o. some comments about microtuning.

        > Von: "Scott Nordlund" <gsn10@...>
        > Antworten an: YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com
        > Datum: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 05:48:38 -0500
        > An: YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com
        > Betreff: [YamahaDX] Casio VZ-1
        >
        > Just curious, but has anyone here tried the Casio VZ-1 or VZ-10m?
        >
        > I've been thinking about selling my TX7 and either getting a TX802 or a
        > VZ-10M
        >
        > I'm leaning toward the Casio because they're cheaper and have multiple
        > waveforms and nice envelopes, and a nice display
        >
        > I think the only thing I'll really be missing out on is the microtonal
        > abilities of the TX802.
        >
        > Anyway, does anyone have experience with both synths? Any advice?

        > Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
        > Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
        > Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/QnLolB/TM

        freenet Email-Office:
        E-Mail, Kalender und 100 MB virtuelle Festplatte.
        Jetzt testen unter www.freenet.de/tipp/emo
      • Summa
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2002
          I don't have a TX802 or DX7 but FS1R and TX81z to compare the sound with my
          VZ-1. I probably wouldn't swap the TX7 for a VZ-10M or vice versa since to
          my ears the VZ sounds have a different character to the Yamaha FM. Compared
          to the DX compatible part of the FS1R and my TX the VZ-1 sounds warmer, less
          metalic with different kind of aliaing and a bit less punchy, but due to the
          up to 4 ringmodulators and the operator waveforms it can sound quite
          different to the Yamaha FM - Synths. So if you can afford them and have
          enough room you might try to get them both...

          At 05:48 01.01.02 -0500, you wrote:
          >Just curious, but has anyone here tried the Casio VZ-1 or VZ-10m?
          >
          >I've been thinking about selling my TX7 and either getting a TX802 or a
          >VZ-10M
          >
          >I'm leaning toward the Casio because they're cheaper and have multiple
          >waveforms and nice envelopes, and a nice display
          >
          >I think the only thing I'll really be missing out on is the microtonal
          >abilities of the TX802.
          >
          >Anyway, does anyone have experience with both synths? Any advice?

          +
          +
          + /\ /\
          /\ + /\/ \ / \
          +++++++/++\++/++++++\++/+++ \ /\ /\ / O
          / \/ \/ \ / \/ \ | | / | /----
          /\ / + \/ \\---/ ---- | |
          / \/ + /\ / \----
          + / \ /
          + Nicknames : Summa or SumGhost
          + AIM : Flotorian
          + Born : 1967
          + Profession : Student of Computer Science
          +

          A Touch of Future - Project : http://www.mp3.com/AToF/
          Casio CZ Synth Station : http://www.mp3.com/stations/CZ/

          Boycott the Premium Artist Service!!!

        • Scott Nordlund
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2002
            >I�ve tried a VZ-1, which I borrowed from a friend. It�s an amazing >machine
            >indeed, but also hard to programm sounds (isn�t it the same >with FM?).
            >Nevertheless I loved it and I still look for one to buy >(actually a VZ-1M,
            >the rack module version). But still I also love my >TX802, although the
            >buttons don�t work very well any more.

            I would think it would be a bit redundant to have both. At least it would
            in my minimal setup...

            >The VZ-1�s system of tone generation is a little different from FM
            > >synthesis, I forgot the way it works. But I remember, that it has >quite
            >a large amount of potential soundwise. You can get a lot of >sound
            >categories out of it, if you are willing to learn the system and >get some
            >experience. Actually I would say, both of them have their >weaknesses (very
            >complex), but also their strenght.

            Right. The Casio has more synthesis options but the Yamaha's are hardly
            limited. I've also heard the Casio sounds warmer. I've heard songs using
            them and the sounds have a different quality to them, I guess because it's
            possible to start with a sawtooth wave instead of having to synthesize an
            approximation of one.

            >For the FM synth counts, that you can get tons of sounds for them, but
            > >nearly none for the VZ. The same is with info on the internet.

            well most patch banks are really bad anyway :)

            >Ok, I know about prices and budget - it is never enough money in my >pocket
            >;-). From that side you should simply look, what you can get >and what you
            >can afford...

            Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to end up doing. And I've seen VZs go
            for $130 on ebay with no bids... the TX802 goes for about double that...

            >By the way: I never really tried to programm microtuning scales, but
            > >anyway it is a really tough job!

            I know it's complicated but I've been getting into that sort of thing
            recently. It would be nice to have the option available but I guess it's
            not absolutely necessary. My EPS can do microtuning so I've already got the
            capability. I'll have to think about that some more...

            >If anyone likes, visit my website "http://go.to/THEKLANGCOLLAGE". >There is
            >also a page about the TX802 and a.o. some comments about >microtuning.

            I only found it on the German page. I used a translator on a website and it
            wasn't butchered too badly. I really need to get into microtuning more...

          • djgj@freenet.de
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2002
              Yes, sorry! I forgot some pages on my site are still available in German only. I will update the English part soon, promise. There will come new pages , too, but as it is a private site, it always takes some time (I have to do some music, too... ;-).
              ----- original Nachricht --------

              >I�ve tried a VZ-1, which I borrowed from a friend. It�s an amazing >machine
              >indeed, but also hard to programm sounds (isn�t it the same >with FM?).
              >Nevertheless I loved it and I still look for one to buy >(actually a VZ-1M,
              >the rack module version). But still I also love my >TX802, although the
              >buttons don�t work very well any more.

              I would think it would be a bit redundant to have both. At least it would
              in my minimal setup...

              >The VZ-1�s system of tone generation is a little different from FM
              > >synthesis, I forgot the way it works. But I remember, that it has >quite
              >a large amount of potential soundwise. You can get a lot of >sound
              >categories out of it, if you are willing to learn the system and >get some
              >experience. Actually I would say, both of them have their >weaknesses (very
              >complex), but also their strenght.

              Right. The Casio has more synthesis options but the Yamaha's are hardly
              limited. I've also heard the Casio sounds warmer. I've heard songs using
              them and the sounds have a different quality to them, I guess because it's
              possible to start with a sawtooth wave instead of having to synthesize an
              approximation of one.

              >For the FM synth counts, that you can get tons of sounds for them, but
              > >nearly none for the VZ. The same is with info on the internet.

              well most patch banks are really bad anyway :)

              >Ok, I know about prices and budget - it is never enough money in my >pocket
              >;-). From that side you should simply look, what you can get >and what you
              >can afford...

              Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to end up doing. And I've seen VZs go
              for $130 on ebay with no bids... the TX802 goes for about double that...

              >By the way: I never really tried to programm microtuning scales, but
              > >anyway it is a really tough job!

              I know it's complicated but I've been getting into that sort of thing
              recently. It would be nice to have the option available but I guess it's
              not absolutely necessary. My EPS can do microtuning so I've already got the
              capability. I'll have to think about that some more...

              >also a page about the TX802 and a.o. some comments about >microtuning.

              I only found it on the German page. I used a translator on a website and it
              wasn't butchered too badly. I really need to get into microtuning more...

              Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
              Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
              Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!

              --- original Nachricht Ende ----

              ** Bis zu 25% Preisvorteil exklusiv fuer freenet.de-Nutzer! **
              ShortWin meldet Sie bei bis zu 1.200 Gewinnspielen an - Preise
              im Gesamtwert von mehreren Millionen DM warten auf Sie!
              ** ACHTUNG ** Jetzt auch als Geschenk bestellbar! **
              http://shortwin.de/index.cfm?pp_ID=23400
            • Scott Nordlund
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2002
                >Yes, sorry! I forgot some pages on my site are still available in >German
                >only. I will update the English part soon, promise. There will >come new
                >pages , too, but as it is a private site, it always takes >some time (I
                >have to do some music, too... ;-).

                I managed to figure it out easy enough

                Also I forgot to mention at first that also as an alternative to the TX802
                or VZ I was considering a Kawai K5m, though I probably won't get that as
                it's pretty big and people say it sounds thinner....

              • XPANDER
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2002
                  Re: [YamahaDX] Casio VZ-1
                  Get the TX802- (I own a DX7IID and a VZ)

                  Todd S.
                  Sierra Madre Cinema Council
                  http://users.ev1.net/~xpander/SMCChome.html

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2002
                    I had the K5 some years ago. It is really an amazing machine from the point of editable features. You can construct sounds quite detailed. But nevertheless it sounds always thin indeed and the filter does not sound like an analoge filter at all. Also programming additive spectra is a tough job: you have to adjust up to 64 overtones (or even 128 in full mode), then assign each of them to one of the 4 envelopes. At last there is the substractive part with pitch, filter and amp. As it has 15x multimode, you can stack sounds, but then it gets really slow, if you play many notes. It�s good for brilliant sounds like bells or the like, but anyway it is completely different from FM synthesizers. The newer K5000 is, to my knowledge, much easier to handle and much better in sound quality (but also more expensive...). So as Todd says, perhaps better to get an TX802...

                    Ibo
                    ----- original Nachricht --------

                    --
                    freenet Gru?karten:
                    Schicken Sie Ihren Freunden einen Gruss.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2002
                      Sounds like Ibo spent more time with the K5m than I did (bowing at Ibo's
                      superior patience & programming experience)- I got rid of my K5m because I
                      found the output DACs to be the noisiest I've ever heard.

                      I LOVE my K5000r.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 8, 2002
                        Re: [YamahaDX] Casio VZ-1
                        I decided to post an MP3 demo of VZ sounds (done on a VZ8m with no effects) to give some vague idea of what sounds a VZ can produce.

                        http://users.ev1.net/~xpander/smccfiles.html

                            To me- it sounds like it’s still worth $100 used (although there are many VST instruments that will blow it away for less ...).

                        (I’ll cross post this to the CZ/VZ list).....

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 8, 2002
                          > I decided to post an MP3 demo of VZ sounds (done on a VZ8m with no
                          effects) to
                          > give some vague idea of what sounds a VZ can produce.

                          sounds excellent...

                          like FM only it seems like there's a broader range of sounds (strings and
                          stuff). nice and full sounding, especially considering there are no
                          effects..

                          I really want one now.

                        • XPANDER
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 8, 2002
                            Re: [YamahaDX] Casio VZ-1
                            > I decided to post an MP3 demo of VZ sounds (done on a VZ8m with no
                            effects) to
                            > give some vague idea of what sounds a VZ can produce.

                            sounds excellent...

                            like FM only it seems like there's a broader range of sounds (strings and
                            stuff).  nice and full sounding, especially considering there are no
                            effects..

                            I really want one now.

                                Thanks Scott- Glad I spent the time on it !