Sysx dumps into Midi-OX (was DX-100 ins files for Cakewalk)

  • remnant60
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2008
      Lee,

      I found the drop-down I was remembering in Midi-Ox, it's the
      Instrument Patch Panel (icon looks like a guitar on version
      7.0.0.365)
      As I said earlier, I'm using CW 8 Pro, and if you could give
      me some pointers on how to get the Sysx data out of the DX100
      so I can figure out how to do the ins file from them (or if
      the ins file you have will work with what I have) This noob
      would sure appreciate it...
      I have been able to dump patches for other synths into CW and
      trigger them with the DX100 (plus whatever patch I've got
      current on the '100) and that's been fun. I've been able to
      trigger the '100 with midi data recorded in the piano-roll
      view of CW also.
      But I can't get CW to "see" the DX100 when I'm trying to record
      midi info...and while I could use Audiograbber to line-in the
      audio from the DX100, and push that *.wav into CW, I lose control
      over patches, and I'm a crappy keyboard player anyway-just want
      to set up some sonic washes with the DX while I put guitar, bass
      and vox over them, and have the washes repeatable.

      Remnant

      --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, templarseries@... wrote:

      > DX100, but didn't have anything to dump it into...now I have MIDI-
      OX,
      > but it wants to see an ins file as well...
      >
      > Hi,
      >

      > I have transferred my stuff using cool Edit too and also use CW and
      MIDI-ox - I have the MASTER.ins file that contains the DX-100 but I
      do not know what version CW you are using and whether it is
      compatible. I am not aware of MIDI-ox using .INS - so I would be
      interested in what you have to say about that- I also use MIDIox to
      transfer SYSx from the DX100 so I can offer advice about doing that.

      > LEE

      DX7,
      > but while I have all the 4 of the banks filled in with the voices
      and
      > corresponding #, I know that the patch numbers will be wrong for
      the
      > banks...I saw somewhere in my hunt on how to do a sysx dump from
      the
      > DX100, but didn't have anything to dump it into...now I have MIDI-
      OX,
      > but it wants to see an ins file as well...
      >
      > BR,
      > Remnant
      >
      > --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "remnant60" <remnant.1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for the reply Krists, but the attachment didn't "stick"
      > >
      > > BR,
      > > Remnant
      > >
      > > --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "Krists" <kristsp@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have there (see attached) ins file for plg100-dx plug-in
      card.

      > > > Regards.

      __
      http://info.aol.co.uk/homepage/ now.

    • templarseries@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2008
        Lee,

        I found the drop-down I was remembering in Midi-Ox, it's the
        Instrument Patch Panel (icon looks like a guitar on version
        7.0.0.365)

        I will have to check my MIDIox version - as I think it is pre 7 - and I have no recall of a guitar icon - I can't think of the top of my head why MIDIox would need an INS - cept maybe to perform patch changes - on my version this is done by sending the patch control number - but I will see if there is any other facility.

        As I said earlier, I'm using CW 8 Pro, and if you could give
        me some pointers on how to get the Sysx data out of the DX100
        so I can figure out how to do the ins file from them (or if
        the ins file you have will work with what I have) This noob
        would sure appreciate it...

        I do not know the differences between pro8 and express - I am fairly certain the INS info is not in the Sysx even though the DX sends the patch names - you could theoretically crop them from the SYSx if you send the SYSx to MIDIox and then open the SYSx file in a text editor - I have not tried that,but I have pulled the names into a C64 using SYSx. Your best bet would be to crop them from my MASTER.ins file - which I can send to your email address.

        I have been able to dump patches for other synths into CW and
        trigger them with the DX100 (plus whatever patch I've got
        current on the '100) and that's been fun. I've been able to
        trigger the '100 with midi data recorded in the piano-roll
        view of CW also.
        But I can't get CW to "see" the DX100 when I'm trying to record
        midi info...and while I could use Audiograbber to line-in the
        audio from the DX100, and push that *.wav into CW, I lose control
        over patches, and I'm a crappy keyboard player anyway-just want
        to set up some sonic washes with the DX while I put guitar, bass
        and vox over them, and have the washes repeatable.

        I don't quite understand what you mean by "See" - if CW has a DEVICE list then the DX100 should have its OUT port connected to the IN of the MIDI DEVICE listed for IN - SYSx can be initiated either from the DX or from the PC - its easier from the DX - if PRO 8 has a record facility then that ought to work - otherwise you can record the SYSx with MIDI ox and store the file - PRO8 maybe able to port the file in - that will only send the current RAM config of the DX - the patch names for the INS will still need to be added. My CW does not have SYSx record - but you can enter SYSx data in the EVENT list - although that is the long winded and arduous way. I'll have another look at my software tonight and if you provide email - will send on my INS.

        I found the drop-down I was remembering in Midi-Ox, it's the
        Instrument Patch Panel (icon looks like a guitar on version
        7.0.0.365)
        As I said earlier, I'm using CW 8 Pro, and if you could give
        me some pointers on how to get the Sysx data out of the DX100
        so I can figure out how to do the ins file from them (or if
        the ins file you have will work with what I have) This noob
        would sure appreciate it...
        I have been able to dump patches for other synths into CW and
        trigger them with the DX100 (plus whatever patch I've got
        current on the '100) and that's been fun. I've been able to
        trigger the '100 with midi data recorded in the piano-roll
        view of CW also.
        But I can't get CW to "see" the DX100 when I'm trying to record
        midi info...and while I could use Audiograbber to line-in the
        audio from the DX100, and push that *.wav into CW, I lose control
        over patches, and I'm a crappy keyboard player anyway-just want
        to set up some sonic washes with the DX while I put guitar, bass
        and vox over them, and have the washes repeatable.

        Remnant

        --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroup s.com, templarseries@ ... wrote:

        > DX100, but didn't have anything to dump it into...now I have MIDI-
        OX,
        > but it wants to see an ins file as well...
        >
        > Hi,
        >

        > I have transferred my stuff using cool Edit too and also use CW and
        MIDI-ox - I have the MASTER.ins file that contains the DX-100 but I
        do not know what version CW you are using and whether it is
        compatible. I am not aware of MIDI-ox using .INS - so I would be
        interested in what you have to say about that- I also use MIDIox to
        transfer SYSx from the DX100 so I can offer advice about doing that.

        > LEE

        __
        > AOL's new homepage has launched. Take a tour at
        http://info. aol.co.uk/ homepage/ now.

        AOL's new homepage has launched. Take a tour now.
      • remnant60
        Message 3 of 18 , May 5, 2008
          Lee,
          Replys interspersed below...sorry it took so long to get back
          with you, been out of town the last 3 days...

          --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, templarseries@... wrote:

          > Lee,
          >
          > I found the drop-down I was remembering in Midi-Ox, it's the
          > Instrument Patch Panel (icon looks like a guitar on version
          > 7.0.0.365)
          >
          > I will have to check my MIDIox version - as I think it is pre 7 -
          and I have no recall of a guitar icon - I can't think of the top of
          my head why MIDIox would need an INS - cept maybe to perform patch
          changes - on my version this is done by sending the patch control
          number - but I will see if there is any other facility.

          > As I said earlier, I'm using CW 8 Pro, and if you could give
          > me some pointers on how to get the Sysx data out of the DX100
          > so I can figure out how to do the ins file from them (or if
          > the ins file you have will work with what I have) This noob
          > would sure appreciate it...
          >
          > I do not know the differences between pro8 and express - I am
          fairly certain the INS info is not in the Sysx even though the DX
          sends the patch names - you could theoretically crop them from the
          SYSx if you send the SYSx to MIDIox and then open the SYSx file in a
          text editor - I have not tried that,but I have pulled the names into
          a C64 using SYSx. Your best bet would be to crop them from my
          MASTER.ins file - which I can send to your email address.

          Thanks! I'm remnant.1@...
          I went through the whole keyboard and punched up every patch and
          typed them into a word doc along with 1=xxx 2=yyy etc., but without
          the header info I wouldn't be able to make it work at this time...
          a real ins file would be a most welcome!

          > I have been able to dump patches for other synths into CW and
          > trigger them with the DX100 (plus whatever patch I've got
          > current on the '100) and that's been fun. I've been able to
          > trigger the '100 with midi data recorded in the piano-roll
          > view of CW also.
          > But I can't get CW to "see" the DX100 when I'm trying to record
          > midi info...and while I could use Audiograbber to line-in the
          > audio from the DX100, and push that *.wav into CW, I lose control
          > over patches, and I'm a crappy keyboard player anyway-just want
          > to set up some sonic washes with the DX while I put guitar, bass
          > and vox over them, and have the washes repeatable.
          >

          > I don't quite understand what you mean by "See" - if CW has a
          DEVICE list then the DX100 should have its OUT port connected to the
          IN of the MIDI DEVICE listed for IN - SYSx can be initiated either
          from the DX or from the PC - its easier from the DX - if PRO 8 has a
          record facility then that ought to work - otherwise you can record
          the SYSx with MIDI ox and store the file

          What I mean by "see" the midi data is I have to go through a USB
          driver (Yamaha) so CW is seeing the USB driver as a midi in device.
          I could probably call it anything I wanted to, but that USB driver
          is the only way to get stuff to and from the DX100. So I have to tell
          CW what to expect from that Driver...
          I figure with the ins file I'll be able to further define what the
          driver/CW can do with the "live" data I send it.

          I agree, I recorded the SYSx data (initiated from the DX) to MidiOx...
          much easier than to try to waffle through CW's manual (I'm only half-
          way through it)

          - PRO8 maybe able to port the file in - that will only send the
          current RAM config of the DX - the patch names for the INS will still
          need to be added. My CW does not have SYSx record - but you can enter
          SYSx data in the EVENT list - although that is the long winded and
          arduous way. I'll have another look at my software tonight and if you
          provide email - will send on my INS.

          Did you ever find out what I was talking about as far as MidiOx's
          Patch Panel?

          Anyway, thanks for responding!

          Bill (now dealing with 500ms. latency between keyboard strikes and
          soft-synth response)

        • remnant60
          Message 4 of 18 , May 8, 2008
            Lee.

            Thanks for sending the ins file, unfortunately
            my server decided it needed to be deleted from
            the email...if you could, please send it again
            and re-name it MASTER.txt...maybe that will defeat
            my stupid server...

            TIA,

          • remnant60
            Message 5 of 18 , May 9, 2008
              Lee,
              That re-naming worked like a charm- thanks!
              Once I get it stabilized, I'm going to put the amended
              file up on the server here for others.

            • templarseries@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , May 12, 2008
                Glad it helped - don't forget not to overwrite your MASTER.ins with my copy unless you are not worried about losing your data - it is possible to copy references from one INS to another - and if you need the entire reference for one keyboard,I believe it is in two sections - one for the actual unit and one for the banks of program names - when copying I use the MS "search" facility to find references in the INS file to the keyboard I am interested in and copy those to the new file - note that it is also possible to add new references using NOTEPAD - rather than use the CW editor - I find it faster to enter data that way.

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 4, 2008
                  DX'rs,

                  Just uploaded a 3/5ths working version of an ins file for Cakewalk.
                  Banks A, B, and the internal are mapped and work with Cakewalk 8 Pro.

                  As you can see from the 'end of definions' section:

                  .Instrument Definitions

                  [Yamaha DX100]
                  Patch[18]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 2
                  Patch[21]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 1
                  Patch[22]=Yamaha DX100 Internal
                  Patch[*]=General MIDI

                  I don't have Banks C and D (3 and 4) mapped, but I do have the names
                  of the patches in the .ins file... I'm thinking that Banks 3 & 4
                  relate to Patch[19] and Patch[20] (or vice versa)...will work on that
                  this weekend to see what's what.

                  Those lines would have to be inserted into the .Instrument Definitions
                  section.

                  Anyway, at least you can get to the internal bank of your DX-100
                  (where all the cool patches are anyway <G>)

                  If anyone knows what those bank numbers are off the top of their head,
                  it sure would save me time from dinking with this more, and leave me
                  more time to record this weekend, as I've finally gotten the DAW to
                  talk to the DX and vice versa...would really rather be recording than
                  trouble-shooting.

                  File name is IsitDX100.ins

                  Remnant
                • remnant60
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 9, 2008
                    Well,
                    I broke it...but found a mistake in the file as well, the patch
                    names section should be numbered 0-23 instead of 1-24 like in
                    my original file. (was wandering why I was always off one patch)

                    So that part is fixed, but I "broke it" in that now the only thing
                    I have control over is the internal patch Bank...I guess that mapping

                    Patch[19]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 3
                    Patch[20]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 4

                    and mapping

                    Patch[20]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 3
                    Patch[19]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 4

                    are both wrong, as while they look good in Cake, they pull patches
                    from the internal Bank. Anyone with any ideas? Bueller? Bueller?

                    While I have both manuals to the DX-100 (users and programming)
                    I still haven't figured out how to translate LSB and MSB to real
                    numbers for the banks (and don't get me started on SYSX!) <G>

                    If I ever figure this out I'll upload a new ins file for the DX-
                    100...so consider isitDX100.ins the "beta" version!!!

                  • templarseries@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 10, 2008
                      I have Dx100 is Cakewalk Express and I am fairly certain all the internal banks are mapped to the 0-127 program changes and that bank switching is not needed.Is this what you are trying to do? You are quite correct about the 0-23 - this can be a tad annoying when trying to relate patch names to numbers.

                      I broke it...but found a mistake in the file as well, the patch
                      names section should be numbered 0-23 instead of 1-24 like in
                      my original file. (was wandering why I was always off one patch)

                      So that part is fixed, but I "broke it" in that now the only thing
                      I have control over is the internal patch Bank...I guess that mapping

                      Patch[19]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 3
                      Patch[20]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 4

                      and mapping

                      Patch[20]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 3
                      Patch[19]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 4

                      are both wrong, as while they look good in Cake, they pull patches
                      from the internal Bank. Anyone with any ideas? Bueller? Bueller?

                      While I have both manuals to the DX-100 (users and programming)
                      I still haven't figured out how to translate LSB and MSB to real
                      numbers for the banks (and don't get me started on SYSX!) <G>

                      If I ever figure this out I'll upload a new ins file for the DX-
                      100...so consider isitDX100.ins the "beta" version!!!

                      Remnant

                      --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroup s.com, "remnant60" <remnant.1@. ..> wrote:

                      > DX'rs,
                      >
                      > Just uploaded a 3/5ths working version of an ins file for Cakewalk.
                      > Banks A, B, and the internal are mapped and work with Cakewalk 8
                      Pro.

                      > As you can see from the 'end of definions' section:
                      >
                      > .Instrument Definitions
                      >

                      > [Yamaha DX100]
                      > Patch[18]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 2
                      > Patch[21]=Yamaha DX100 Bank 1
                      > Patch[22]=Yamaha DX100 Internal
                      > Patch[*]=General MIDI
                      >
                      > I don't have Banks C and D (3 and 4) mapped, but I do have the
                      names
                      > of the patches in the .ins file... I'm thinking that Banks 3 & 4
                      > relate to Patch[19] and Patch[20] (or vice versa)...will work on
                      that
                      > this weekend to see what's what.
                      >
                      > Those lines would have to be inserted into the .Instrument
                      Definitions
                      > section.
                      >
                      > Anyway, at least you can get to the internal bank of your DX-100
                      > (where all the cool patches are anyway <G>)
                      >
                      > If anyone knows what those bank numbers are off the top of their
                      head,
                      > it sure would save me time from dinking with this more, and leave me
                      > more time to record this weekend, as I've finally gotten the DAW to
                      > talk to the DX and vice versa...would really rather be recording
                      than
                      > trouble-shooting.
                      >
                      > File name is IsitDX100.ins
                      >
                      > Remnant

                    • remnant60
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 10, 2008
                        Templar,

                        I've seen other .ins files done that way, but if I'm not mistaken,
                        the DX-100 only has 120 patches at any one time (24 per bank
                        times 5) where do the other 8 addresses get mapped in the 0-127
                        scheme?

                        Remnant

                        --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, templarseries@... wrote:

                        > I have Dx100 is Cakewalk Express and I am fairly certain all the
                        internal banks are mapped to the 0-127 program changes and that bank
                        switching is not needed.Is this what you are trying to do? You are
                        quite correct about the 0-23 - this can be a tad annoying when trying
                        to relate patch names to numbers.

                        __
                        > AOL Email goes Mobile! You can now read your AOL Emails whilst on
                        the move. Sign up for a free AOL Email account with unlimited storage
                        today.

                      • templarseries@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 11, 2008
                          Some keyboards either omit or cycle around what they do not use.
                          If the patch numbers of MIDI cover the number of patches and then some - then bank switching is not needed.
                          However,that does not mean it is not available.
                          For the DX100 I have just mapped the first 120 patches of MIDI to the 120 of the DX100.
                          If you are after having a bank change to A,B,C,D as sets of 24 then that is a different matter.
                          There is an easy way to find out where the other addresses are mapped to - send the patch code to the DX and see what pops up on the display- I suspect it may well be the first few patches on the DX - though I have never tried it.
                          The Bank switching method - if there is one - should be in the manual - my Cakewalk express allows for about 2 or 3 methods - but if the keyboard does not support bank switching then it won't do it,no matter what method is used. Since the number of patches on the DX100 is within the 127 limit,it does not need a bank change message. I have no idea whether it has one.

                          I've seen other .ins files done that way, but if I'm not mistaken,
                          the DX-100 only has 120 patches at any one time (24 per bank
                          times 5) where do the other 8 addresses get mapped in the 0-127
                          scheme?

                          Remnant

                          --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroup s.com, templarseries@ ... wrote:

                          > I have Dx100 is Cakewalk Express and I am fairly certain all the
                          internal banks are mapped to the 0-127 program changes and that bank
                          switching is not needed.Is this what you are trying to do? You are
                          quite correct about the 0-23 - this can be a tad annoying when trying
                          to relate patch names to numbers.

                          __

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 14, 2008
                            Dang Krists,

                            In all this slow-motion flurry of posts, I missed yours, and
                            your attachments didn't get to an accessible place to upload them...
                            Sorry I missed you and your contributions. Maybe you could put that
                            file up in the "Files" section for everybody.

                            I'm now working on some 4-OP patches that I have no clue as how to
                            share, other than a library via JSynth (what a cool proggie!)