Modifying a DX100

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
      Is there any info on modifying a DX with knobs to change all the
      parameters in "edit" mode? Sorta like what you do with an analog to
      change the wave, shape, lfo, algor, etc. I want to be able to edit the
      voices on the fly, during performance. Thanks for any info.

      Happy New Year!
    • templarseries@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        In a message dated 01/01/2008 15:46:38 GMT Standard Time, monkeyfuel04@... writes:

        Is there any info on modifying a DX with knobs to change all the
        parameters in "edit" mode? Sorta like what you do with an analog to
        change the wave, shape, lfo, algor, etc. I want to be able to edit the
        voices on the fly, during performance. Thanks for any info.

        I rather suspect that would require massive modification - one way around it would be to have a MIDI control box as a controller - but of course - unless you use a MERGE unit - it would block your IN port.
        I am working on an editor for the Dx100 - but it is Commodore 64 based - however basic parameters could be controlled by an electronic controller via MIDI - anything else would require altering the SYSx controls in real time - not impossible - but very hard to do with electronics - I doubt there is any such programmer on the market. All I have ever seen is a mod to make the modulation wheel make breath control - to save the BC1 from being connected.

        The parameters that you refer to exist in RAM and are transferred via SYSx in MIDI - a box could be made to do what I am trying to do with the C64 - copy the SYSx parameters to external RAM - modify them under program [or slider/rotary knob] control and then pass them back to the DX - but it takes a short while to transfer the parameters this way and so there would be a delay in real time...and only paramerts under MIDI control could be altered.
        Unless there is some ex-Yamaha employee or some serious electronics whizz out there - it would probably be damaging to try and alter the stored parameters in real time without the use of a microprocessor system.

        An alternative is to get hold of a DX200 - http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html - which apparently uses the DX7 SYSx storage system but DOES have real time controls - though there is no keyboard - only a sequencer.

        I believe the facia buttons on the DX100 are capable of being controlled under MIDI and in principle it ought to be possible to send a series of MIDI commands to act as a MACRO - ie to mimic what you would press in order to access the parameters in edit mode and then send the command to activate the slider to adjust the parameter setting - this again would use the MIDI in port and require no opening of the DX100 case - but again - a microprocessor system is the best way to do it - a box with electronics COULD be made - but would have to be something using a PIC microcontroller.

        My solution for the DX100 is to have bought retro C64s and VIC 20s and added MIDI interfaces - it is then relatively simple to send commands to the DX - under program control - the C64 has 4 channels of A-D conversion and so it would be possible to have 4 knobs/Sliders to activate changes in the DX - a program on the C64 would then respond and send the correct facia controls to alter the parameters - if written in 6502 it might well be fast enough to do the job you suggest - I was hoping to try the MACRO method soon - all the details are in the DX manual - which is available as a PDF download from Yamaha - I will post this message to my site members.aol.com/templarseries/synths.html and provide any solutions that I find as it is an interesting question - in the meantime - if anyone else has any other ideas or comments.......?

        LEE

      • Stan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
          Thanks for the info. I was thinking I might have to remove buttons in
          the synth and solder in knobs somehow. That or build a box with
          knobs and midi ports, but not sure how to go about it - which I would
          think to be less complicated as far as the amount of equipment needed
          to do what I want. I do have an old c64, whether it works or not is
          another issue.

        • templarseries@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
            In a message dated 03/01/2008 01:07:00 GMT Standard Time, monkeyfuel04@... writes:
            I do have an old c64, whether it works or not is
            another issue.
            I just broke one - lucky I had a spare - I keep picking them up off Ebay - just so I can control synths!

            I know how to go about it - my subsequent reply should explain - however it might be a lot of time and trouble - the easiest way is to program a C64 - details of how to add a MIDI port to a 64 are at members.aol.com/templarseries/maplin.html - that in itself is a bit of a palaver.

            LEE
          • Nicole Massey
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
              I'd suggest that programming a knobby box or other controller would be a lot
              less effort.

              --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com <mailto:YamahaDX%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              templarseries@... wrote:

> [...]
              the DX -
              > under program control - the C64 has 4 channels of A-D conversion
              and so it
              > would be possible to have 4 knobs/Sliders to activate changes in
              the DX - a
              > program on the C64 would then respond and send the correct facia
              controls to
              > alter the parameters - if written in 6502 it might well be fast
              enough to do the
              > job you suggest - I was hoping to try the MACRO method soon - all
              the details
              > are in the DX manual - which is available as a PDF download from
              Yamaha - I
              > will post this message to my site
              members.aol.com/templarseries/synths.html
              > and provide any solutions that I find as it is an interesting
              question - in
              > the meantime - if anyone else has any other ideas or

            • Farmer
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
                i have a 4 pedal ButlerLake cfc-4 mitigator that my dx11 loves...
                its does what your asking.
                but try feeding your dx to a vsynth, twist away, and save. its way
                smoother results with plenty of dx to hear, plus finding some sickness.
                but thats not the idea for staying strictly fm, i know.

                --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Massey" <nyyki@...> wrote:

                > I'd suggest that programming a knobby box or other controller would
                be a lot
                > less effort.

                Behalf