Dx 7IID problems

  • palli_th
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
      i just bought a DX 7IID and buttons 26-32 and the "store" button dont
      work. i opened it up and noticed that there was a crack in the circuit
      board underneath where button 26 is, is it possible thats the reason
      why the buttons dont work? and if so is there any way to fix the board?

      also when i try to upload full patch banks to it from my pc using dx
      manager i get a "**midi receive buffer full!" message, does anyone know
      how to fix that? i can upload one single patch to it but it is erased
      as soon as i select another voice.

      thanks in advance
    • Bob Weeks
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
        yes I have just had this exact same problem. if you take some wire wool and prepare the tracks you can, if you have a steady hand bridge over the track with solder.

        However, Mine was so bad I had to get a new board of ebay

        Bob

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
          As to repairing cracked PC boards:
          Scrape the coating off the copper traces within about 1/4" on each
          side of the crack. Shove some JB Weld epoxy into the crack. After the
          epoxy cures, solder a small bit of wire (a piece of solid copper phone
          wire works well) across the crack on each broken trace. Check closely
          with good light & magnifier for shorts to adjacent traces. If done
          properly, works well. I do this a lot when faced with broken boards.

          If the switches are going bad, new ones are very cheap (less than a
          quarter apiece, part #P8008S) from Digi-Key www.digikey.com .

          Some troubles I've had with buffer overflow (often to the point of
          locking up the DX7II) when loading in a patch bank seem to be related
          to the actual amount of data coming in in such a short time. I've
          found that on this beast if you send much data to it at anywhere near
          the rate that midi lets you, it can't absorb it all fast enough. One
          voice worth you can get away with. A complete patch bank at full speed
          will choke it. I've not gotten around to figuring out a way to
          throttle back the data rate when using commercial software, on
          software I've written for it I've had to deliberately limit how many
          bytes per second get sent.

          So if you can figure out a way to get the data into it a bit slower,
          that might make all the difference. This doesn't mean changing the
          actual midi speed or timing itself, but only how often the midi
          transmitter gets handed a byte to send. Reduce the numbers per second
          that actually get to the midi interface, and the DX7II gets enough
          time to process each one when it gets them.

          --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Weeks" <bob.weeks@...> wrote:

          > yes I have just had this exact same problem. if you take some wire
          wool and
          > prepare the tracks you can, if you have a steady hand bridge over
          the track
          > with solder.
          >
          > However, Mine was so bad I had to get a new board of ebay
          >
          > Bob
          >
          > _____

          Behalf
          > Of palli_th
          > Sent: 01 June 2007 08:19
          > To: YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [YamahaDX] Dx 7IID problems
          >

          > i just bought a DX 7IID and buttons 26-32 and the "store" button dont
          > work. i opened it up and noticed that there was a crack in the circuit
          > board underneath where button 26 is, is it possible thats the reason
          > why the buttons dont work? and if so is there any way to fix the board?
          >
          > also when i try to upload full patch banks to it from my pc using dx
          > manager i get a "**midi receive buffer full!" message, does anyone know
          > how to fix that? i can upload one single patch to it but it is erased
          > as soon as i select another voice.
          >
          > thanks in advance

        • auddoc
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007

            Hi,

            If the control panel PCB is cracked at one spot, opening up one trace on the PCB, it's entirely probable that you will lose the function of more than one switch. It sounds like that is the case. Yamaha uses a switch matrix style control panel layout, which kind of resembles the netting, you would put up for peas to grow on. Imagine a switch ,where every string crosses.

            Any skilled technician should be able to repair a cracked PCB. I've done it a million times with successful results. Scrape off the green solder mask with a xacto blade, over both sides of the crack in question, make a solder bridge using a small section of  resistor lead to reenforce it. and fill the trace(s) with solder over 5-10 mm on either side of the crack, for some strength. Use some epxoy on the other side  of the PCB, if required, to hold it all together. Easy.

            If the switch contact areas are cracked, it's only slightly more difficult. The black stuff is a conductive coating bonded to the PCB. Liquid Conductive plastic or rubber is available in small containers for this purpose. Just paint it on after the PCB is epoxied back so that its flat through the cracked area. After you epoxy the PCB back together.

            Your other problem: if my memory serves, you ether need to reset the RAM or you have a MIDI setting wrong. I cannot remember exactly. I have to dig out my DX bible. It has been many years.....hope this helps.

            Ciao,

            Gregg

            --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "palli_th" <palli_th@...> wrote:

            > i just bought a DX 7IID and buttons 26-32 and the "store" button dont
            > work. i opened it up and noticed that there was a crack in the circuit
            > board underneath where button 26 is, is it possible thats the reason
            > why the buttons dont work? and if so is there any way to fix the board?
            >
            > also when i try to upload full patch banks to it from my pc using dx
            > manager i get a "**midi receive buffer full!" message, does anyone know
            > how to fix that? i can upload one single patch to it but it is erased
            > as soon as i select another voice.
            >
            > thanks in advance

          • palli_th
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
              thank you guys very much for the fast and detailed answers, its good
              to know that it should be possible to repair, altho i think this
              procedure is a little bit too difficult for me to do so im gonna find
              a skilled technician to do it for me.

              as for the other problem i'll just have to pray that the pc board can
              be fixed so i can get to the midi and system settings of the dx.
              there isnt any program for the pc that can change the settings for me
              via midi if the board is unfixable, right?