Re: [YamahaDX] Re: dx7/tx7

  • Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
      > Also a side question, where would the Yamaha SY-77
      > come in here and why would I choose it over the
      > Roland D-550 if I was just looking for sounds?

      As an owner of TG77 I can tell you, SY/TG77 has the
      magnificent FM that you can use with pair of digital
      filters per element (and that 4 times per voice).
      It also has nice sample ROM, a little limited, but
      capable of doing some whacky stuff.
      check this one out:
      http://ftp.id.uw.edu.pl/pub/music/TG77 for examples.
      You can press hell a lot of juice of this machine,
      because using three feedback loops you can even
      achieve three "sawtooth oscillator" configuration with
      24db/oct filter. Also, samples can be inputted as
      modulation sources. Also, FM section has loopable
      6-stage envelopes (4x level+rate and 2x release
      level+rate).
      That's the hightlights, now the dark side: effect
      processors. THAY SUCK! really, they're very bad (and
      that's why SY99 has them totally redesigned). you have
      two SPX90mkII put inside, that means metallic reverb,
      very short delays, well- but _that_ symphonic chorus
      and pretty nead special FX (distortion, eq). Nullified
      it is by pushing chorus/mod section into reverb
      section as mono signal- yes, to have chorus stereo,
      you'll need to switch the reverb off.

      D-550 has been very overused, and in fact it's not a
      very big deal IMO- of course it's really great
      sounding, but it's very hard to do something really
      inventive on it. Well, but it can be done...
      http://ftp.id.uw.edu.pl/pub/music/D-50/voyager_sequence.mp3

      I notice it was made in 1990. Is it not

      http://mail.yahoo.com