They don't make 'em like they used to....

  • Padraig Dooley
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
      I had occasion to root my two DXs out of storage at the weekend - someone
      needed noise in a hurry......

      First powered up the DX7-S : I have this keyboard about 10 years, and has
      been unused for probably 2 years now. Still, should work unless.....
      Yup! Low battery warning, all presets gone to mush and no usable sounds to
      be found.

      With a distinct lack of optimism, I powered up my original DX7. No problems
      whatsoever! Everything exactly as it should be, battery shows 2.9v which is
      quite usable for my purposes :-)
      The only problem seems to be the data-entry slider, which continues to
      change variables even when it's at a "full stop". A drop of contact cleaner
      should sort that one....

      Bought this machine in 1988 second-hand, have only opened the cover once to
      mess around with the power lead but never even thought about changing the
      battery.

      So this synth has gone at least 17 years without a battery change. Is this a
      record????

      Padraig
    • Lawrence Patti
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
        Haven't changed the battery on mine and it still works...

        LJP
        Foot And Mouth Disease

        Padraig Dooley <pjd67@...> wrote:
[...]

        aX

      • VINCENT BROTZ
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
          Mine still has the original battery as well.1985
          model.mk1

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Bob Weeks
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
            I think I have an early one 83?. it had the original Mk 1 ROM Bugs et all when I got it.

            It still has the original battery and is reading 2.8. I spoke to Yamaha UK when I was updating the system ROM and they said batteries will last and last. You just have to power it up every so often.

            IMHO: The DX7 is one of the best keyboards with regards to action I have every played. It's a pity you can't use it as a serious midi controllers. I.e. Pitch Change and Controllers

            Oh humm

            Sorry if this is a second message I think my mailer screwed up
          • jose altamirano
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005

              hello friends.....does anyone nows how to replace the batteries on my tf1 modules...I have two of the eight in my tx816 showing low batt , and I dont know how to fix it.....please tell me how I can replace this batteries......thanks ...jose.

            • VINCENT BROTZ
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                So the answer to the dead battery issue is it won't go
                dead if you use it.I'm glad to hear that.I use mine
                all the time,so I shouldn't have to worry about that.I
                have been waiting for it to die ,and it turns out to
                be rechargeable.Its 20 years old.They sure knew how to
                make a durable synth back then.

                --- Bob Weeks <bob.weeks@...> wrote:

                > I think I have an early one 83?. it had the original
                > Mk 1 ROM Bugs et all
                > when I got it.
                >
                > It still has the original battery and is reading
                > 2.8. I spoke to Yamaha UK
                > when I was updating the system ROM and they said
                > batteries will last and
                > last. You just have to power it up every so often.
                >
                > IMHO: The DX7 is one of the best keyboards with
                > regards to action I have
                > every played. It's a pity you can't use it as a
                > serious midi controllers.
                > I.e. Pitch Change and Controllers
                >
                > Oh humm
                >
                > Sorry if this is a second message I think my mailer
                > screwed up

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • clifford nyren
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                  Re: [YamahaDX] low batt on tf1 modules.........tx816

                  hello friends.....does anyone nows how to replace the batteries on my tf1 modules...I have two of the eight in my tx816 showing low batt , and I dont know how to fix it.....please tell me how I can replace this batteries......thanks ...jose.

                  Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click. <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFqODRtdXQ4BF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDOTY2ODgxNjkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWwtZm9vdGVyBHNsawNmYw--/SIG=110oav78o/**http%3a//farechase.yahoo.com/>

                    Sampler <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sampler&w1=Sampler&w2=Electronic+instrument&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Yamaha+synthesizer&w5=Music+synthesizers&w6=Synthesizer+music&c=6&s=128&.sig=GB7sIoFDjoa9xdbSM-JqLg>    Electronic instrument <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronic+instrument&w1=Sampler&w2=Electronic+instrument&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Yamaha+synthesizer&w5=Music+synthesizers&w6=Synthesizer+music&c=6&s=128&.sig=4t4oVwNCdM7Y6qAyjZN8VQ>    Synthesizer <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Synthesizer&w1=Sampler&w2=Electronic+instrument&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Yamaha+synthesizer&w5=Music+synthesizers&w6=Synthesizer+music&c=6&s=128&.sig=sVsQdEJUByPUuYkFa4DKBQ>
                    Yamaha synthesizer <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Yamaha+synthesizer&w1=Sampler&w2=Electronic+instrument&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Yamaha+synthesizer&w5=Music+synthesizers&w6=Synthesizer+music&c=6&s=128&.sig=qOqqhm0nFh0tOtTOurgNyw>    Music synthesizers <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Music+synthesizers&w1=Sampler&w2=Electronic+instrument&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Yamaha+synthesizer&w5=Music+synthesizers&w6=Synthesizer+music&c=6&s=128&.sig=kJs4HVBB4ru1b6VeSfVRQg>    Synthesizer music <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Synthesizer+music&w1=Sampler&w2=Electronic+instrument&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Yamaha+synthesizer&w5=Music+synthesizers&w6=Synthesizer+music&c=6&s=128&.sig=ViJyOKWsn4A1iZ8x_nbSCg>

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  JOSE,

                  Check out my posting from last year or so about changing the batteries.  If you can not find it email me back and I will try to did it up from my files.  If you follow the directions, the next time you change a battery will be a piece of cake.

                  Clifford
                • Martin Soenderby Lund
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                    On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Bob Weeks wrote:

                    > I think I have an early one 83?. it had the original Mk 1 ROM Bugs et all
                    > when I got it.

                    Now that you mention it: What should I be aware off to determine if my ROM
                    is buggy? I think my mkI has a reasonably low production number (it
                    definitely got the original type "high quality" keyboard).

                    And does anyone know if and where I can get any ROM updates besides from
                    Yamaha themselves (assuming they have any more in stock)?

                    Thanks!
                    Martin
                  • Marc Abernathy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                      my IIFD battery is like .6 volts or something.. LOL i use my trinity PRO and
                      my mint juno 60 more so than my IIFD. those are easier to work with..
                    • Bob Weeks
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                        There is an issue connecting a DX7 to a TX7 if the serial number 1001 - 24880, 25125-26005
                        As far as I remember is is because of the wrong values and messages being sent as MIDI was not standardised when the original DX7 was released.
                        Now saying that

                        I contacted Yamaha UK and they asked me what my ROM was#

                        My original ROM  is IG11461 it's the 1 at the end that denotes the rom version. Yamaha said they can supply ROM 14 or a special edition ROM which does midi on any chan and individual performance settings. There is a item on the DX website about the Special Edition ROM so I won't do on about it here bit's its great.

                        So I paid £40 and got a new rom. This is for a replacement IC14 However, if you have IC15 as well then you need to cut some tracks

                        My serial number is 7630 and didn't have IC15 so I guess if yours is after that your ok