HELP! Garbled sound from my DX7 mark I

  • oldew1
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005
      Does anybody have ideas or tips about the following?

      After 4 years I fired my DX7 up to see if it's still working.
      The battery check showed me an astonishing 4,5 Volts.
      All sounds were still there but when I hooked it up to the amplifier
      I only heard some soft noisy sounds slighty resembling the orignal
      sounds, the headphone output gave the same sound.
      I removed the battery and leaved it for a few days, then I put the DX
      back on the mains and found garbled memory info, so far so good. I
      copied the complete databank from the rom cartridge to the internal
      memory, everything worked fine but the sounds didn't improve and
      stayed the same.
      The next thing I did was to do an Init Voice and select algorithm 32
      and test the seperate operators. They all work but don't output a
      sine but some other garbled noise. I can alter the frequency and hear
      go up. So my conclusion is that there must be something wrong in the
      amplifier part of the DX.

      I also performed the internal test, but since I have a version 1.8 OS
      (with the improved MIDI implementation) it doesn't do all the steps
      as published in the manual and Internet.
      All tests are OK, but additional to that one should measure with a
      scope on certain IC ports to see if the correct wave is showed within
      some boudaries. I don't have a scope...

      This is the story, any ideas?

      Regards,
      Wim