I have a DX7II-FD CENTENNIAL edition. What's the history?

  • taintlien
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1 12:45 PM
      I have the very rare Yamaha DX7II-FD Centennial edition. There seems
      to be little concrete information about this board on the web. Some
      sites say Yamaha only made 100, while others say 1000. I know it was
      to commemorate their 100th anniversary. I would like to know how much
      of a gem I have here. It is in excellent condition. There is a
      scratch in the plastic (by the mod-wheel) and a scratch in the metal
      by the algorhythms. Besides that everything else looks new. No wear
      on the buttons or any of the paint. I also have the glass sheet-music
      stand that mounts to the back of the board, and the original manual.
      I know they were $4000 new, but does anyone know what they're going
      for today.
    • VINCENT BROTZ
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 5:28 AM
        Wow thats a tough one to the right person over a
        $1000.00 its a collector item.The next guy might only
        value it at $400.00 The bottom line is your going to
        get the most for it on ebay if your looking to sell
        it.I would hang on to it if I was you.The price is
        only going to keep going up.There was a limited number
        of them.heres and article.> "Introducing a Limited
        Edition DX7 II, Created to Celebrate Yamaha's 100th
        > Anniversary. Also, a Look at the History of the
        DX7."

        > "1987 MARKS THE 100th anniversary of Yamaha. In
        order to commemorate this
        > milestone in proper fashion, Yamaha has created a
        very special, limited
        > edition version of the popular DX7 II FD
        synthesizer. The new instrument,
        > dubbed the "DX7 II Centennial," is designed to be a
        visual and musical
        > celebration of Yamaha's 100th year in the industry.
        > "As you can see from the photo on the cover, the DX7
        II Centennial has
        > unusual cosmetics: The instrument is housed in a
        silver colored casing, and
        > all of the wheels, buttons, and sliders are gold
        colored. Also, instead of
        > the 5-octave, C-to-C keyboard that is standard to
        the rest of the DX7 line,
        > the Centennial features a full 76-note keyboard
        (with an E-to-G range, the
        > same as the KX76 MIDI keyboard controller).
        Finally, the keys of the
        > Centennial have been specially treated: Fluorescent
        paint has been mixed in
        > with the plastic of the keys, so that the entire
        keyboard glows in the dark!
        > "Underneath all of these special addition, the DX7
        II Centennial contains the
        > full features of the DX7 II FD, including fractional
        scaling, microtuning, a
        > 3.5" micro-floppy disk drive, and much more. The
        suggested retail price of
        > the Centennial is $3995.00."
        >
        > HISTORY
        >
        > "Since the DX7 II represents not only the 100th
        anniversary of Yamaha but
        > also the culmination of the DX7 line of
        synthesizers, it is appropriate at
        > this time to reflect a little on the history of the
        DX7.
        > "The research that would eventually lead to the DX7
        began at Stanford, where
        > John Chowning began exploring the concepts of
        digital FM synthesis in the
        > late 60's. In 1975, the results of his studies into
        FM synthesis were
        > licensed to Yamaha. (For more on John Chowning, see
        the two-part interview
        > that ran in the November 1985 and December 1985
        issues of AfterTouch).
        > "The first commercial result of Yamaha's license was
        the GS1, which was
        > introduced in 1980. The GS1 was a 4-operator,
        1-algorithm FM digital
        > synthesizer that featured stereo layering; it was
        not directly programmable,
        > and was housed in a wooden, piano-like case. Later
        in the same year, the GS2
        > was introduced. Although the GS2 was monophonic
        (and therefore had no
        > layering capability), it was designed to be much
        more portable than its
        > predecessor.
        > "Both the GS1 and GS2 garnered favorable notice in
        the music industry, but
        > neither instrument sold in large numbers, mostly
        because of the prohibitive
        > price of the technology at that time (the GS1's list
        price was $16,000.00).
        > Therefore, everyone -- including Yamaha -- was
        caught by surprise at the
        > response that greeted the introduction of the
        original DX7.
        > "The DX7 first appeared in the fall of 1983. It was
        a 6-operator,
        > 32-algorithm, fully-programmable FM digital
        synthesizer; as such, it
        > represented a quantum leap beyond the technology
        that had been introduced in
        > the GS1 and the GS2. Also, it was much more
        affordable: The list price of
        > the original DX7 was $1995.00. Not only did the DX7
        garner favorable notice
        > in the music industry, it also sold in unprecedented
        numbers. The original
        > DX7 remains the single most successful synthesizer
        in the history of
        > electronic music.
        > "In December of 1986, after a reign of more than
        three years, Yamaha unveiled
        > its replacements for the DX7. Both the DX7 II FD
        and the DX7 D were
        > introduced in Tokyo, Japan, at Yamaha's annual 'X
        Days' festival. These same
        > instruments were introduced in the United States in
        January of 1987. As
        > AfterTouch readers know, the DX7 II family (which
        now also includes the DX7s)
        > offers a number of improvements on the original DX7,
        while at the same time
        > maintaining full compatibility with the earlier
        instrument.

        --- taintlien <dj_quantum@...> wrote:
        > I have the very rare Yamaha DX7II-FD Centennial
        > edition. There seems
        > to be little concrete information about this board
        > on the web. Some
        > sites say Yamaha only made 100, while others say
        > 1000. I know it was
        > to commemorate their 100th anniversary. I would
        > like to know how much
        > of a gem I have here. It is in excellent condition.
        > There is a
        > scratch in the plastic (by the mod-wheel) and a
        > scratch in the metal
        > by the algorhythms. Besides that everything else
        > looks new. No wear
        > on the buttons or any of the paint. I also have the
        > glass sheet-music
        > stand that mounts to the back of the board, and the
        > original manual.
        > I know they were $4000 new, but does anyone know
        > what they're going
        > for today.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • altitude909
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4 6:29 AM
          POST A PIC, lets see this biatch!

> [...]
          >

          > --- taintlien <dj_quantum@h...> wrote:
          > > I have the very rare Yamaha DX7II-FD Centennial
          > > edition. There seems
          > > to be little concrete information about this board
          > > on the web. Some
          > > sites say Yamaha only made 100, while others say
          > > 1000. I know it was
          > > to commemorate their 100th anniversary. I would
          > > like to know how much
          > > of a gem I have here. It is in excellent condition.
          > > There is a
          > > scratch in the plastic (by the mod-wheel) and a
          > > scratch in the metal
          > > by the algorhythms. Besides that everything else
          > > looks new. No wear
          > > on the buttons or any of the paint. I also have the
          > > glass sheet-music
          > > stand that mounts to the back of the board, and the
          > > original manual.
          > > I know they were $4000 new, but does anyone know

        • Gus Mercanti
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4 7:35 AM
            You can see a pic of the DX-7 II Centennial Edition at:

            http://www.thedx7.co.uk/DX7_II_CentennialSpecial.htm
          • taintlien
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4 12:34 PM
              --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, Gus Mercanti <mercanti@c...> wrote:

              > You can see a pic of the DX-7 II Centennial Edition at:
              >
              > http://www.thedx7.co.uk/DX7_II_CentennialSpecial.htm

              You can see my problem. That site says they made 1000 and they sell
              for $1000 today, and this site http://web.quick.cz/a.tom.x/dx7cmain.htm
              says they sold 300 and have recently sold for $6000! I've seen sites
              project as low as 100 produced. I can't find ANY concrete numbers on
              this. All I know is that I have a rare piece that I'm proud to
              own......albeit ashamed of the glow-in-the-dark KEYS! yuck.
            • marctronixx
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4 12:49 PM
                That's the ugliest keyboard I have seen...