Re: [YamahaDX] DX-7 HyperCart

  • Miracle Mary Anne Music
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2003
      DEAR SIR:
      I fine idea, we would like to see a picture of the product and would
      be interested in it also. Thank you for wirting in to the list. it sounds
      like a super idea. Well done,
      Best Wishes,

      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2003
        Alexandre,
        I'd like to buy the schematics and instructions from
        you. Any chance?

        Craig

        --- Miracle Mary Anne Music <francz@...>

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Alexandre Souza
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2003
          I'm so glad my little toy got so much attention from you all :o)

          Well, It will be a commercial product. But I'd like to know more about
          what you think about it.

          - Would you buy it from Brazil?
          - 3200 patches is a reasonable space?
          - Would you prefer a RAM or a ROM cart?
          - All the patches of DX-7 are public domain? I don't want to have any
          probability of litigation.
          - Would you prefer a keyboard or a rotary encoder for selecting patch
          bank?
          - Would you want downloading of info to the PC thru serial link, or thru
          DX-7 MIDI
          - What do you want to see on the LCD panel of the unit, beyond the
          number of the bank and its name?
          - Do you want cartridge passthru (unit permanently connected to the
          DX-7, a slot to put another cartridge and save/load/format on it)?
          Do you have any tips, or things that can make it better?

          As soon as I build a "deccent" prototype (right now it is just a
          protoboard with a bunch of wires coming/going to my DX-7) I'll make a page
          with photos and more info.

          Thanks you all!

          ---
          E-mail checado contra virus pelo AVG
        • shayme
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2003
            I think it should be compatible with DX7, DX7ii series, and TX802 module.

            Shayme

            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2003
              > I think it should be compatible with DX7, DX7ii series, and TX802 module.

              The problem is: I don't have a DX7/II and a TX802. I'll try to find
              something around...

              ---
              E-mail checado contra virus pelo AVG
            • Dupuis, Xavier (Xavier)
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2003
                Alexandre,

                Indeed this is a great idea and lot of users would probably love using it.
                However, most of us paid about $ 250-350 for the DX-7, and already load patches from our PC (using the DX-Manager as an example).
                Asking $100 for the "DX-7 Hypercart" looks far too high to me in regard to the price we paid for the DX-7. I'm afraid very few users will buy it then.
                So my advice would be to lower the price and get a large buyer base.

                Also this group, as many others, is used to share information or exchange stuff. Lot of people just offered the result of their efforts and passion to the community. Obviously, the HW you build has direct costs (all components) that you need to cover, but I don't expect you making large profits in the context of this group.

                I whish you the best for your Hypercart,

                Xavier

                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2003
                  > Indeed this is a great idea and lot of users would probably love using it.

                  Thanks!

                  > However, most of us paid about $ 250-350 for the DX-7, and already load
                  patches from our PC (using the DX-Manager as an example).
                  > Asking $100 for the "DX-7 Hypercart" looks far too high to me in regard to
                  the price we paid for the DX-7. I'm afraid very few users will buy it then.
                  > So my advice would be to lower the price and get a large buyer base.

                  I understand, thanks for your kind info.

                  > Also this group, as many others, is used to share information or exchange
                  stuff. Lot of people just offered the result of their efforts and passion to
                  the community. Obviously, the HW you build has direct costs (all components)
                  that you need to cover, but I don't expect you making large profits in the
                  context of this group.

                  Of course, I don't expect large profits from it. BTW, I don't mind if
                  people wants to build its own hypercart. I'll publish complete schematics
                  and software listing showing what I did in the web.

                  I didn't said I wouldn't share the info I have. But I'm not offering a
                  schematic copied from a manual, or a patch I just found on the net. I'll be
                  offering hours of development time in software and hardware, and I take a
                  living from this - I'm an embeeded systems developer and earn my life from
                  it.

                  If you don't want me to sell this thing on this group, be welcome to
                  ask, and it will be done.

                  ---
                  E-mail checado contra virus pelo AVG
                • dko4342@vip.cybercity.dk
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 5, 2003
                    > > Asking $100 for the "DX-7 Hypercart" looks far too high to me in regard to
                    > the price we paid for the DX-7. I'm afraid very few users will buy it then.
                    > > So my advice would be to lower the price and get a large buyer base.

                    Let me tell you what you probably COULD sell. If you are able to design a
                    unit similar to the PG-200 programmer for the Roland JX3P) to plug into the
                    cartridge port, then you have an interesting product. Suppose all the FM
                    parameters were laid out as knobs and sliders on a panel and you would be able
                    to tweak FM parameters live. That might be something worth checking out. It is
                    possible of course as it can be done from a computer. But a real panel would be
                    much more attractive. For each group of operator dependant parameters there
                    could be selectors 1..6 so that each group could be active for any combination
                    of operators - such that for instance a group could have 2,5 and 6 turned on,
                    and tweaking the parameters would have effect for those three operators
                    simultaneously. I can just dream about how cool such an interface would be.

                    /Frank
                  • Kaboodle
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 5, 2003
                      Frank,

                      There is a realtime programmer with lots of knobs and buttons and
                      junk for the DX engine. It's the DX200 "Loop Factory." I bought one
                      recently for $200. From my understanding it's an FM synthesizer and
                      16 step sequencer. It also has three AWM voices (wheatever those
                      are, I'm a newbie at synthesis). It pretty cool and you can get lost
                      in your navel tweaking knobs for hours and hours! All the knob
                      tweaks can be recorded as MIDI code, so you can have your sounds
                      change over the course of your sequence. On top of that it comes
                      with XG Works Lite with a plug in for the DX200 to make creating
                      sounds and seqences even easier. Here's the deal, the unit started
                      out around $600 and now you can find them new for less than $200 and
                      probably less than that on eBay. This was designed as a
                      DJ/Rave/Groove Box type deal. I think it was just too much work for
                      most of the cut and paste loopy musicians.

                      Maybe what you want is something even more robust and complex than
                      the DX200. Frankly, I'm confused enough already.

                      Yours,
                      Russ "Kaboodle" Rogers

                      www.kitandkaboodle.com

                      --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, dko4342@v... wrote:

                      > > > Asking $100 for the "DX-7 Hypercart" looks far too high to me
                      in regard to
                      > > the price we paid for the DX-7. I'm afraid very few users will
                      buy it then.
                      > > > So my advice would be to lower the price and get a large buyer
                      base.

                      > Let me tell you what you probably COULD sell. If you are able to
                      design a
                      > unit similar to the PG-200 programmer for the Roland JX3P) to plug
                      into the
                      > cartridge port, then you have an interesting product. Suppose all
                      the FM
                      > parameters were laid out as knobs and sliders on a panel and you
                      would be able
                      > to tweak FM parameters live. That might be something worth checking
                      out. It is
                      > possible of course as it can be done from a computer. But a real
                      panel would be
                      > much more attractive. For each group of operator dependant
                      parameters there
                      > could be selectors 1..6 so that each group could be active for any
                      combination
                      > of operators - such that for instance a group could have 2,5 and 6
                      turned on,
                      > and tweaking the parameters would have effect for those three
                      operators
                      > simultaneously. I can just dream about how cool such an interface
                      would be.

                      > /Frank
                    • Aaron J. Grier
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 15, 2003
                        On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 09:24:34AM +0200, dko4342@... wrote:

                        > Suppose all the FM parameters were laid out as knobs and sliders on a
                        > panel and you would be able to tweak FM parameters live.

                        pick a size for such each slider and knob, then calculate the physical
                        area needed for such a layout. :)

                        http://www.sequencer.de/yamaha-fm-synthesizer.html

                        there are a lot of parameters on even a 4-op DX synth.

                        --
                        Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@...
                        "It's not fast, but why not?" -- John Klos on VAX dnet client
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 19, 2003
                          > > Suppose all the FM parameters were laid out as knobs and sliders on a
                          > > panel and you would be able to tweak FM parameters live.
                          >
                          > pick a size for such each slider and knob, then calculate the physical
                          > area needed for such a layout. :)
                          >
                          > http://www.sequencer.de/yamaha-fm-synthesizer.html
                          >
                          > there are a lot of parameters on even a 4-op DX synth.

                          Well, I also came up with a way to rationalize the design in that mail.
                          Suppose you have a set of parameters that is available for all 6 operators.
                          Instead of having six copies of the parameter set, there is one set that
                          also has 6 on/off switches, so you can edit per operator using the same
                          set of knobs, or even edit a parameter across several operators at the same
                          time. This would not bee to much.

                          /Frank