Re: Question #04 (Detune) ??

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 79 , Sep 9, 2013
      --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Forró <dan.for@...> wrote:

      > On 8 Sep, 2013, at 9:16 AM, Paul wrote:
      >

      > > So you can't use the DX7 Mark 1 as a Multi-Timbral instrument. So
      > > can only transmit and receive on 1 x Midi Channel ??
      >
      > Yes.
      >

      > > And the DX7 Mark 2, can this therefore transmit and receive on 2 x
      > > Mini Channels simultaneously ??
      >
      > Not Mini, but for sure MIDI.
      > Transmit on one MIDI channel only, receive on two different channels
      > in Split Mode.
      >

      > > I have never heard of GREY MATTER before ??
      >
      > Name of the firm was Grey Matter Response, they produced card which
      > changed OS in DX7, DX7S and DX7 II D/FD.
      > There's a lot of info about it on internet, and in Files section.
      >
      > Daniel Forro

      Thanks a lot Daniel.

      So even though you can Split and Layer the DX7ii, it can Receive on 2 x Midi channels, but only Transmit on 1.

      Thanks for the pointers on Grey Matter.

      Paul
    • Paul
      Message 79 of 79 , Sep 9, 2013
        --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, philfrei@... wrote:

        > >>Thats very interesting Phil,
        >
        > Thanks a lot.
        >
        > It would be great if you could possible scan in the AFTERTOUCH article
        > with the CIRRUS patch if possible. i would really love to see it please
        > if possible. As i say, i looked on ebay but could not see any copies
        > for sale.
        >
        > So you use FM8 with Cakewalk. So you created patches on your DX7s and
        > then imported them into your DAW for storage/tweaking/recording ?? i
        > have Cubase 6 which i have been learning for a couple of years. i am
        > trying to larning something about MIXING but its made me realise how
        > poor my 'ears' are !! ha ha
        >
        > So you paly the Oboe. Does that mean you really like 'narrow pulse
        > waves' !! ?? lol
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Paul<<
        >

        > Another Paul (or was that you?) mentioned that in this group's archive
        > of patches there are sets that include the Aftertouch patches, and
        > Cirrus is among them. I don't know how to access that stuff, I've been
        > more of a lurker than an active participant. But the basic concept is
        > simple: make three identical pairs of envelopes, your basic pad, then
        > put in 1 Hz carriers and the normal 1 (plus detuning as I mentioned in
        > the first post) to track the keyboard for the modulators. I used 81 as
        > the output levels for the carriers.
        >
        > Cubase should also work. You can record and edit MIDI on it, yes?
        > Learning mixing takes some time, but if you stick with it and do a lot
        > of experiments, I'm sure you will continue to improve at it, and your
        > ear will grow as well. A lot has to do with learning what eq areas (as
        > in tonal spectrum/color) are the most important for different sounds,
        > and finding complementary combinations, rather than letting regions get
        > overly crowded. Also, left & right are easy for spacing, but one can
        > also use more or less reverb for forward/back, and chorus for spreading
        > a sound out vs having it come from a single spot. Those are the
        > biggies, yes?
        >
        > Yes, I do like nice rich tones! But I think the biggest influence of
        > oboe was that it made me very discontented with almost all synths and
        > samplers for many years. Only the DX7 appealed to me, because of the
        > ability to use aftertouch, as well as pedal, to continuously alter tone
        > color. With oboe, it's almost all about expression and shaping notes
        > (via volume and tone color) and not so much about how many notes you
        > play.
        >
        > Best wishes,
        >
        > Phil

        Thanks very much Phil,

        I have been watching this video by David Gibson :-

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

        And this one by a group of experts in conversation :-

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY5hI98HEi0&list=FLkLPeMGBechBR-dJcrbkqtg&index=115

        Both videos are over two hours long !!

        I am trying to spend an hour each day listening to music to try and train my ears into a more disciplined way of 'listening'. What many term as 'active' listening. I was never taught how to listen to music PROPERLY. Even at music college !!! Its been many years of trial and error.

        Ta,

        Paul