Looking for E! , SuperMax, or any other mods (dead is good!)

  • yvonne_rhodes
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 13, 2013
      Hi everybody,
      I am still looking for a cart to fit my Mk1 Dx7 .. but while I have been trawling the Internet, I have found so many references to the E! and Supermax units.. I would love to get both ! (or whatever I can) ..

      Apart from Robins mods, that we do not seem to have any info on ... what other modifications are about for the DX7 please ..

      Has anybody got any dead bits ? I may be able to rework the circuits .. just thinking out loud really .. but I would like to think there is still some of the bits available .. nothing seems to be on ebay right now ..

      Thanks ... I still have my fingers crossed ...
    • Brendan Mccaffrey
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 21, 2013
        vyonne,

        There is a limited run of supermax upgrades but they are 300 euro !.

        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 21, 2013
          Ouch !!!  OK ... so I am looking for a second hand one ... preferably faulty ! .. I live in the UK ... the UK has a recession ... I have time, expertise and patience .. but not a lot of money ! .. Oh well .. the struggling artist within me .... will have to struggle a little longer !! lol !!

          Thanks for the reply
          Yvonne

              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 21, 2013
                Your funny for a girl,well thats if you are a girl,I live in the UK too I'm Count Arthur Strong's brother.
                Trust me show your diddies on you tube and they will pay your air-fare then you could stick them up.
                They won't shoot back in the states coz you'll be wielding a beetroot loaded water pistol...trust me beetroot stains are a bastard to get off..

                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 21, 2013
                  I would say Female or Woman .. I am a bit more vintage then a girl .. (though young at heart) ..

                  I am not so sure I want to "show my "diddies" " in other than a excellent 5 star hotel ( ok 4 star at a push .. but that would have to be in Thailand or Florida ) ..

                  The problem is, much like the DX7, I am a vintage model .. .not really sought after by the young 'uns .. (or the old 'uns with money, mores the pity) ... I would think there is a specific type of man out there in the big wide world who likes women like me ..  and probably more rare than a set of hen's teeth !

                  Such is life ... and the reason I became an engineer so many years ago ... when Valves were the norm and semiconductors were just a twinkle in a Bell Labs mind .. (Oh happy days .. loads of volts ... "Jacob's ladders" and big meters ... reel to reel tape recorders ... and more ... )

                  <sigh> ... nostalgia ... its not what it used to be ...

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 22, 2013
                    Girl is a polite way of not getting accused of being rude.
                    I like any woman with a brain and who is into electronic music regardless of age,do you want to f**k? ;)
                    I think a lot of manufacturer's still use valve's in amps and fx, Bell Lab's sampling delay was cool,my mate Tony had one.
                    Oh yeah the Revox B77 was a classic machine,I have about 14 open reel's at 15ips that I'd like to recover but even to hire one for a weekend is stupid money.
                    Naah your not wrong,nostalgia is def not it used to be,I payed £50 for an SH101 complete with hand grip and strap and I bought 2x MC202's for £70,oh yeah and a TB303 for £25 it would only run on batteries but worked.

                    a classic MC-202 track is this:- http://youtu.be/t8HEckgWOiQ sorry not longer version,I can't seem to find that on you tube.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 22, 2013
                      At 15:40 22/07/13 +0100, you wrote:

                      Girl is a polite way of not getting accused of being rude.

                      Oh .. I see ..

                      I like any woman with a brain and who is into electronic music regardless of age,do you want to f**k? ;)

                      I don't think so .. you beat around the bush too much .. why don't you just say what you want ???

                      I think a lot of manufacturer's still use valve's in amps and fx, Bell Lab's sampling delay was cool,my mate Tony had one.

                      Only the expensive makers ... or cheap ones with an eye to money !

                      Oh yeah the Revox B77 was a classic machine,I have about 14 open reel's at 15ips that I'd like to recover but even to hire one for a weekend is stupid money.

                      So hire it for a day !  (Doh !!)

                      Naah your not wrong,nostalgia is def not it used to be,I payed £50 for an SH101 complete with hand grip and strap and I bought 2x MC202's for £70,oh yeah and a TB303 for £25 it would only run on batteries but worked.

                      Pity you missed the joke ... hey ho ...

                    • Jason Adkins

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                          > I think a lot of manufacturer's still use valve's in amps and fx, Bell

                          Just to show how crazy the world of consumer audio can get, Samsung recently came out with a line of tube based audio for home cinema audio and wireless audio including a "Tube Sound Bar"!

                          http://www.samsung.com/us/2012-vacuum-tube-amplifier/

                          And these aren't exactly cheap units either.

                          For a while it seemed that that best source of new replacement valves (or tubes) was Russia but maybe there will be a resurgence of manufacturers in other countries as well...

                          Rawl
                        • jammie
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                            russia germany china gold tubes are nice

                            the diy proaudio community like my self build pre amps and eq make upgain stages for passive eq using tubes

                            im making an all tube mixer with passive eq and balancing trafo

                            as you just cant get that overdriven sound from anything else

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                              Interesting I never knew samsung of all people made things like that, I thought valve stuff was mainly made in the us/uk for guitar amps and fx and here in the uk for bloody expensive audiophile hifi amps too also I think there is a valve phono pre-amp that costs over a thousand pounds..

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                                Yup tubes squash the peaks in a unique way which is distinguishable from the way transistors clip.

                                > I think a lot of manufacturer's still use valve's in amps and fx, Bell

                                Just to show how crazy the world of consumer audio can get, Samsung recently came out with a line of tube based audio for home cinema audio and wireless audio including a "Tube Sound Bar"!

                                http://www.samsung.com/us/2012-vacuum-tube-amplifier/

                                And these aren't exactly cheap units either.

                                For a while it seemed that that best source of new replacement valves (or tubes) was Russia but maybe there will be a resurgence of manufacturers in other countries as well...

                                Rawl

                              • Bruce Wahler
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                                  Nothing like a tube/valve amp.  I'm a big fan of JJ Tubes.  I use their gold preamp tubes in all my gear, and KT77's in both my hi-fi amplifier and guitar amp.  I played around with both so that they both take a similar tube bias (Eurotubes calls it a '46'), and now I can replace either one with no or minimal re-biasing.

                                  BTW, a similar effect can be found in MOSFET power amps.  The 'squashing' is a little different, but close enough for many applications.  It's certainly easier to find, buy, and move a 500W MOSFET amp than its tube counterpart.  ;-)

                                  Regards,

                                  -BW

                                  Bruce Wahler
                                  Ashby Solutions.com™
                                  bw@...
                                  http://music.ashbysolutions.com
                                  877.55.ASHBY  (877.552.7429)

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                                    Almost any Pentode will produce the same distortion (2nd and 3rd Harmonic) if you push them hard into a underrated transformer (with a lot of DC in it like the typical output stage of an amp) in fact you can get the distortion with less voltage than you think ... THEN use a mosfet output stage !

                                    The VOX AC30 was noted for its particular warm distortion and it used EL84's not massive valves by any means .. but the characteristic sound was mostly produced by the method of construction of the output transformer a split bobbin type with triple windings as I recall ..  it saturated at a very low level .. and produced some really warm sounds ..

                                    Oddly enough .. the design engineers were all trying to get a CLEAN sound ... but guitarists wanted it "dirty" .. and Fender (via its Music man amps) went for THAT in a big way .. the biasing of the output stage was totally wrong for the valves .. but produced massive amounts of "dirt" ... the valves did not last long .. but sounded just like rock guitarists like it ..

                                    I think probably one of the best valve companies in the world was Mullard .. sadly they closed and sold the equipment to China for scrap ... oddly the Chinese, who have more space and money than we do, didn't quite scrap it all and now sell us the same valves at a much higher price !!

                                    The consistent march towards "NEW" is NOT a good thing in a lot of cases ... and in the UK they want to get rid of FM broadcasting in favor of DAB ... THAT is a big mistake .. but as its being driven by greed and not technical  excellence .. it will probably happen ..  I fond it amazing that .. given everybody's commitment to being "green" .. that they want DAB at all .. the amount of electricity to decode a DAB broadcast ( in all its rubbish gory) is many times that of FM .. but they still want it .. .similarly there is a mad push to Electric vehicles worldwide as an answer to the pollution issue .. .odd that as the pollution is STILL generated (and in increasing amounts) because of them .. but at the power station instead of the exhaust pipe !

                                    But that is another thought for another thread ... we seem to have become de-railed here as I was looking for a E! or the circuits ... lol !! life ... never quite what you suspect is it ...

                                    At 13:05 23/07/13 -0400, you wrote:

                                    Nothing like a tube/valve amp.  I'm a big fan of JJ Tubes.  I use their gold preamp tubes in all my gear, and KT77's in both my hi-fi amplifier and guitar amp.  I played around with both so that they both take a similar tube bias (Eurotubes calls it a '46'), and now I can replace either one with no or minimal re-biasing.

                                    BTW, a similar effect can be found in MOSFET power amps.  The 'squashing' is a little different, but close enough for many applications.  It's certainly easier to find, buy, and move a 500W MOSFET amp than its tube counterpart.  ;-)

                                    Regards,

                                    -BW

                                    Bruce Wahler
                                    Ashby Solutions.com™
                                    bw@...
                                    http://music.ashbysolutions.com
                                    877.55.ASHBY Â (877.552.7429)

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                                            Just been about a long time ... seen a lot .. done a lot ...   doin' more tomorrow !

                                            I must admit .. I quite fancy Jamaica ... for a couple of weeks .. then Thailand ...

                                            Still looking for a E! ...

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                                                Get a (private chat) room you two .... :)

                                                Gotta get my TX-802 running again, had the battery replaced and only crazy Japanese characters show on the screen now.  Need to re-initialize the unit?

                                                Thanks.

                                                Dave S.

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                                                  Please define what you mean by a "real bird" oh man with a "butterfly" brain ...  (who thinks he is all man no doubt ... )

                                                  Shame about the E! but that WAS what this thread was about ( or had you forgotten ??  Butterfly... )

                                                  I knew a chap on the Telly called "Grasshopper" ... now I know a Butterfly ...

                                                  At 19:53 23/07/13 +0100, you wrote:

[...]

                                                • Daniel Forró
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                                                    I'd think so.

                                                    Daniel Forro

                                                    P.S.: Why crazy? They really use them, I can read them :-)

                                                    On 24 Jul, 2013, at 4:13 AM, David Scarponi wrote:

                                                    Gotta get my TX-802 running again, had the battery replaced and only crazy Japanese characters show on the screen now.  Need to re-initialize the unit?

                                                    Thanks.

                                                    Dave S.

                                                  • ibook mac
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                                                      I don't think I'm all man, I know I am all man,I can't even get my tackle into a normal pair of boxers,, (now there's a nice image for you)
                                                      I''d define a real bird as female with all the squidgy bits and curvy bits.
                                                      Grasshopper to me was what my father used to call the owner of the local Chinese takeaway.
                                                      Yeah I had forgotten what the thread was about,I find it much more interesting verbal sparring with you..

                                                      PS "love is like a butterfly" (yes classic Carla lane written 1970's sitcom theme tune) I bet you get that reference..

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                                                        Yeah your probably right she/it is funny and I can't resist a good wind up.. ;)
                                                        I actually thought she was only 80 which makes me her toyboy at 41...
                                                        Anyway with regard to the TX802  if you are sure the new battery is ok do a total factory reset,you won't lose the presets because they are in Rom.

[...]

                                                      • Iguane Iguane des Galapagos
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jul 23, 2013
                                                          Hi dear Yvonne :-)

                                                          Take a look at this :

                                                          This seller "Happy-Geraldine" is very good and her prices are the best you can find to my mind. I got my suspermax from her, here in France for same price one year ago. It fits well in my DX7-II. Most of the time she sells E! extensions that are more common these days. Supermax is very rare but a little bit more interesting with its many features and without any soldering.

                                                          Bless
                                                          David

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jul 25, 2013
                                                            They (both) come up on eBay all the time... on both sides of the pond. Set up a Saved Search and you will be notified.