Re: [YamahaDX] Audio Backup???

  • Sean Kearns
    Message 1 of 91 , Mar 25, 2013
      I still have a shoebox full of floppies I programmed for that and Apple ][s  (I won a programming contest back in 1982 for Byte magazine, prize was an interview for a programming position at Broderbund. That was all well and good, except I was only 12 :-) ) I'm pretty sure the security system I programmed back then is outdated ;-)

      On 03/25/2013 07:37 PM, Brian wrote:

      Haha, I haven’t heard anyone mention a trash 80 for years.

      Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:32 AM
      Subject: [YamahaDX] Audio Backup???

      Man, I haven't thought about that since my days on a Korg-Poly 800 and a TRS-80 Mod III (with a whopping 48K RAM :-) )... Thanks for that flashback!

      On 03/25/2013 07:20 PM, Daniel Forró wrote:
      It looks like you need to change RAM battery (I don't know what you mean by 4OP battery, there's only one battery inside supplying RAM when instrument is switched off).

      Just open the machine and solder new battery (buy type with soldered leads) or solder battery holder and use standard coin battery.

      Unfortunately your data are lost forever - that problem and following factory reset destroyed them. It's always necessary to do Sysex transfer, or save data with Tape interface to cassette or computer as audio (yes, TX81z has still this).

      Daniel Forro

      On 26 Mar, 2013, at 3:49 AM, David Rafn wrote:

      hey all, new to the group but excited to find some other people who are passionate about these fantastic synth creatures!

      Last night my TX81Z broke my heart.

      I powered it up and all my user patches were fried.

      The names were now all symbols---such as: "<<<%%@##"

      and the only sound on each patch was a very high frequency that was very quiet.

      So here are my questions:

      Can anyone tell me what has happened?

      Did the 4OP battery die?

      I already did a factory reset, but could I have saved my patches?

      I don't know anything about Sysex/midi dumps/backing up patches/using a midi editor, etc.

      All I do is plug a keyboard controller into a rack and thats it, I have no idea how to connect my tx81z to my computer.

      Can anyone recommend some good directions for stepping up my midi game?

      any help is greatly appreciated!

  • Eb Mayat
    Message 91 of 91 , Mar 14, 2014
      Hello

      Many thanks for all your informative comments and advice regarding the cassette cable and data storage device.

      Sincerely,
      Eb

      On Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:00 PM, Martin Tarenskeen <m.tarenskeen@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Martin Tarenskeen included below]

      On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Eb Mayat wrote:

      > Could you advise us as to the kind of data storage device that can be used for storing sysex on cassette. If so, can this device be obtained
      > anywhere ?
      >
      > Further, if you (or anybody else for that matter) has the schematic and/or the pin layout for the cassette data cable that could be made for DX
      > synths, I would be interested.

      I have attached a picture with the schematics of such a cable. The "not
      used" thing was meant for a remote control mechanism.

      Or you can buy one from these:
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSX-Computer-Cassette-Leads-For-All-MSX-Computers-Brand-New-/251097851443?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item3a76992633

      The MSX datacassette cable is the same.

      --