Re: Best FM synth for tweakability/patch improvisation?

  • jusufzemplin
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 2, 2013
      Hi , I agree about DX200 and a pitty of no-possibility of complete sound editing. I like it for small size, but i still feels it differently as another FMs...
      May be, the way is synth/module + MIDI controller (BCR2000). But I used mostly direct edititng / tweaking on particular synth. On DX7 and V50 it means pressing one or two buttons. I tried YS200, hoping for better access to tweaking (4pairs of +/- buttons) but i was disappointed it`s not possible to access all sound parameters, and it lacks some sound possibilities of V50. Actially, V50 i feel as most easily tweakable with very characteristic sound. I have to admit, I like it even more than DX7II...

      J.

      --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Riera <daniel@...> wrote:

      > Thanks everyone for your input,
      >
      > >> cynthia zero osc (eurorack)
      > I wish! I'll take four of them please.
      >
      > I've tried the DX200 and although it sounds great, the shallow patch editing left me cold.
      >
      > I have a TX81Z at the moment and am using it with Opfour (on the mac) for programming and an EWI for controlling. I find it's low buffer size and sluggishness to be a problem, especially with the massive amount of data the EWI puts out.
      >
      > Ideally I'd be able to tweak patch parameters and have them adjust in real time, rather than waiting for re-trig.
      >
      > I might try and set up touch OSC. It'd be cool to ditch the computer eventually and have a dedicated sysex control surface or an FM synth with knobs.

    • Jason Adkins
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 12, 2013
        Hiya all

        A good machine for realtime 4-op FM is the Korg 707 it has assignable pitch and mod wheels and also 4 sliders which are volume/timbre/eg1 and eg2 and they also look cool.

        On 11 Mar 2013, at 22:38, charlie midi gfa wrote:

        you're right ,

        what is desired is the ability to make real-time adjustments to various
        parameters that are normally only done when programming

        and i think
        this topic has been hit on before

        our conclusions always seem to be the same

        all parameters can be altered realtime
        any sysex will discontinue note on's
        most parameters can altered without dramtic effect on the voices integrity
        couple parameters drasticilly change the voice radically

        whats the verdict , good brief synopisis?>

        guess i have to ask , but what is patch improvisation

        charlie