Re: [YamahaDX] Re: DXconvert/TXconvert-2.0.0

  • Martin Tarenskeen
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2012
      On Sun, 1 Jul 2012, jammie wrote:

      > its a great program and you keep making it better every time

      >> Please try version 2.0.1
      >> I have just uploaded it to
      >> http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/YamahaDXfiles/files/

      The latest version is available in the Yahoo YamahaDXfiles/files section,
      but not yet on my own website. I am having trouble getting write access to
      my own webspace on tele2.nl once in a while :-(

      --

      MT
    • sweetsynthchuck
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 2, 2012
        Thank you Martin will take it for a spin and report back my findings,

        thank you for the hard work and dedication.

        --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, Martin Tarenskeen <m.tarenskeen@...> wrote:

        > On Sun, 1 Jul 2012, jammie wrote:
        >
        > > its a great program and you keep making it better every time
        >
        > >> Please try version 2.0.1
        > >> I have just uploaded it to
        > >> http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/YamahaDXfiles/files/
        >
        > The latest version is available in the Yahoo YamahaDXfiles/files section,
        > but not yet on my own website. I am having trouble getting write access to
        > my own webspace on tele2.nl once in a while :-(
        >
        > --
        >
        > MT

      • db00451
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 5, 2013
          @sweetsynthchuck:

          --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "sweetsynthchuck" wrote:
          > i can brosw and select say a group of .opm and want to convert to my tq5, i select a output directory, but the files generated, is there no way to have the same file name as the converted file?
          >
          > am i over looking anything?

          I worked around this by just running a FOR command in Windows:

          FOR %a IN (*.opm) DO dxconvert-py %a %.syx --dx72 --nosplit --nodupes2

          You could then tidy up the extensions by using this:

          REN *.opm.syx *.syx

          Â…although I haven't bothered yet because (A) it doesn't bother me and (B) it might be a useful way to trace converted files.

          Change the additional options according to preference, of course.
        • Martin Tarenskeen
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 6, 2013
            On Sat, 5 Jan 2013, db00451 wrote:

            > --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "sweetsynthchuck" wrote:
            > > i can brosw and select say a group of .opm and want to convert to my tq5, i select a output directory, but the files
            > generated, is there no way to have the same file name as the converted file?
            > >
            > > am i over looking anything?
            >
            > I worked around this by just running a FOR command in Windows:
            >
            > FOR %a IN (*.opm) DO dxconvert-py %a %.syx --dx72 --nosplit --nodupes2
            >
            > You could then tidy up the extensions by using this:
            >
            > REN *.opm.syx *.syx

            Yes, there are a lot of nice tricks people can do if they return to that
            good old DOS command line interface. I am afraid a whole generation of
            computer users doesn't even know there IS a commandline interface also in
            Windows. And it will be even worse with the current "touchscreen
            generation". (Windows 8 ...)

            Fortunately I am a Linux user and know how to use the commandline
            effectively. For example in my bash shell I can do:

            ls *.opm | while read i; do dxconvert.py ${i} ${i%.opm}.syx --dx72 --nosplit --nodupes2; done

            to accomplish what you describe in one run :-)

            Warning: in your example the *.opm file should not contain more than 64
            different patches each. A DX7II syx file should only contain up to 64
            patches. The are a few (not many) *.opm banks around that have more
            patches inside. You can prevent this problem by **not** using the
            --nosplit option.

            --

            MT
          • db00451
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 6, 2013
              Hi Martin, thanks for the tip regarding the size limit, and of course, thanks for your great programs and supporting the great Yamaha synths!

              Actually, I'm hoping to use these on an SY77 (which, as I'm sure you know, is like a super-DX7 II) that I plan to buy soon, via converting the DX-formatted files using sy.librarian or one of the other utilities. So, I thought I should enable DX7 ii features in case I would otherwise miss out on anything that the original DX7 was lacking compared to its successors; is that right/likely to be useful at all?

              This will mean the instruments have gone from ROM>VGM>OPM>DX>SY - quite a journey, haha! And as for the SY77, my real dream machine is the SY99, but I'm too impatient to wait for one of those to appear on sale.

              Re-reading my message after your reply also made me realise that I made a typo; the first/main command line should have an 'a' after the second %:

              FOR %a IN (*.opm) DO dxconvert-py %a %a.syx --nodupes2 [any other options]
            • Martin Tarenskeen
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 6, 2013
                On Sun, 6 Jan 2013, db00451 wrote:

                > Hi Martin, thanks for the tip regarding the size limit, and of course, thanks for your great programs and supporting the
                > great Yamaha synths!
                >
                > Actually, I'm hoping to use these on an SY77 (which, as I'm sure you know, is like a super-DX7 II) that I plan to buy
                > soon, via converting the DX-formatted files using sy.librarian or one of the other utilities. So, I thought I should
                > enable DX7 ii features in case I would otherwise miss out on anything that the original DX7 was lacking compared to its
                > successors; is that right/likely to be useful at all?

                I don't know how accurate the DX7(II)->SY77 conversion in sy.librarian is.
                The most important parameter diffs between DX7 and DX7II in the syx files
                have to do with controllers (aftertouch, footcontrol, breathcontrol).

                > Re-reading my message after your reply also made me realise that I made a typo; the first/main command line should have
                > an 'a' after the second %:
                >
                > FOR %a IN (*.opm) DO dxconvert-py %a %a.syx --nodupes2 [any other options]

                and I guess you mean dxconvert.py instead of dxconvert-py

                --

                MT