Re: tx81z change battery (CR3032?)

  • dulcendo
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011
      I just changed mine. Go to Digi-Key and order the battery, P659-ND. Take the top and bottom off the TX81Z, no reason to disconnect the board and remove it. I hooked up a new battery to the PCB using clips so I wouldn't lose my presets, just trace it using a DMM if you do this. Un-solder the old battery and then solder in the new battery. Took me about 5 minutes.

      --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "din5pin" <din5pin@...> wrote:

      > The original battery is a CR2032 with solder tabs. I suggest that you
      > stay with the CR2032 (20mm diameter) and not a CR3032 (30 mm diameter).
      >
      > It's not a difficult job to remove the original battery, if you have
      > decent skills. Make note of where the main board connectors go, or if possible take a picture before you disconnect and remove the board.
      >
      > The terminal pins of most coincell holders won't line up with the
      > spacing of the holes in the board. You might be able to bend them
      > a bit, but I usually add a short length of bare solid wire to one
      > pin to get a fit. If I've lengthened a connection, I also use a dab
      > of hot-melt glue to make sure the holder can't move.
      >

      > --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "midihooker666" <peterhksedin@> wrote:
      > >
      > > i got to change battery for my unit.. im thinking about getting a coin batteryholder and a cr3032 instead of whats allready there.. is this a good choice? hard to do??
      > > peace..
      > > peter

    • Peter Sedin
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011
        or you could get a holder and a plane cr2032.. that way you dont need to solder naxt time it´s time for a battery change..

        --

        Mvh

        Peter H.K Sedin

      • Chet Lamm
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011
          Just send it to Gregg in Vancouver.

          --

          Mvh

          Peter H.K Sedin

        • marcus gaudio
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011
            hey thanks for the informations, i wrote everything!
            cheers

            I just changed mine. Go to Digi-Key and order the battery, P659-ND. Take the top and bottom off the TX81Z, no reason to disconnect the board and remove it. I hooked up a new battery to the PCB using clips so I wouldn't lose my presets, just trace it using a DMM if you do this. Un-solder the old battery and then solder in the new battery. Took me about 5 minutes.

            --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "din5pin" <din5pin@...> wrote:

            > The original battery is a CR2032 with solder tabs. I suggest that you
            > stay with the CR2032 (20mm diameter) and not a CR3032 (30 mm diameter).
            >
            > It's not a difficult job to remove the original battery, if you have
            > decent skills. Make note of where the main board connectors go, or if possible take a picture before you disconnect and remove the board.
            >
            > The terminal pins of most coincell holders won't line up with the
            > spacing of the holes in the board. You might be able to bend them
            > a bit, but I usually add a short length of bare solid wire to one
            > pin to get a fit. If I've lengthened a connection, I also use a dab
            > of hot-melt glue to make sure the holder can't move.
            >

            > --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "midihooker666" <peterhksedin@> wrote:
            > >
            > > i got to change battery for my unit.. im thinking about getting a coin batteryholder and a cr3032 instead of whats allready there.. is this a good choice? hard to do??
            > > peace..
            > > peter

          • roberto bellan
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011
              Hi, i am a new member, i ask if something can tell me the difference of DX7 S with the DX7 II. I have buy one dx7 s but i don't have understend the difference.
              Thanks

              cheers

              Roberto Bellan
              Tel. Cell. 3406537515
              Tel. Ufficio +39 0309748522
              Email: info@...
              Email portatile: mcduff@...

              hey thanks for the informations, i wrote everything!
              cheers

              I just changed mine. Go to Digi-Key and order the battery, P659-ND. Take the top and bottom off the TX81Z, no reason to disconnect the board and remove it. I hooked up a new battery to the PCB using clips so I wouldn't lose my presets, just trace it using a DMM if you do this. Un-solder the old battery and then solder in the new battery. Took me about 5 minutes.

              --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "din5pin" <din5pin@...> wrote:

              > The original battery is a
              CR2032 with solder tabs. I suggest that you
              > stay with the CR2032 (20mm
              diameter) and not a CR3032 (30 mm diameter).

              > It's not a
              difficult job to remove the original battery, if you have
              > decent skills.
              Make note of where the main board connectors go, or if possible take a picture before you disconnect and remove the board.

              > The terminal pins
              of most coincell holders won't line up with the
              > spacing of the holes in
              the board. You might be able to bend them
              > a bit, but I usually add a
              short length of bare solid wire to one
              > pin to get a fit. If I've
              lengthened a connection, I also use a dab
              > of hot-melt glue to make sure
              the holder can't move.

              href="mailto:YamahaDX%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:YamahaDX%40yahoogroups.com">YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "midihooker666" <peterhksedin@> wrote:

              > > i got to
              change battery for my unit.. im thinking about getting a coin batteryholder and a cr3032 instead of whats allready there.. is this a good choice? hard to do??
              > > peace..
              > > peter

              Nessun virus nel messaggio.
              Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
              Versione: 10.0.1411 / Database dei virus: 2092/3988 - Data di rilascio: 31/10/2011

            • dulcendo
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011
                Yes, this is also a good idea.

                --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, Peter Sedin <peterhksedin@...> wrote:

                > or you could get a holder and a plane cr2032.. that way you dont need to
                > solder naxt time it´s time for a battery change..
                >
                > 2011/11/1 dulcendo <dulcendo@...>
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > I just changed mine. Go to Digi-Key and order the battery, P659-ND. Take
                > > the top and bottom off the TX81Z, no reason to disconnect the board and
                > > remove it. I hooked up a new battery to the PCB using clips so I wouldn't
                > > lose my presets, just trace it using a DMM if you do this. Un-solder the
                > > old battery and then solder in the new battery. Took me about 5 minutes.
                > >

                > > --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "din5pin" <din5pin@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > The original battery is a CR2032 with solder tabs. I suggest that you
                > > > stay with the CR2032 (20mm diameter) and not a CR3032 (30 mm diameter).
                > > >
                > > > It's not a difficult job to remove the original battery, if you have
                > > > decent skills. Make note of where the main board connectors go, or if
                > > possible take a picture before you disconnect and remove the board.
                > > >
                > > > The terminal pins of most coincell holders won't line up with the
                > > > spacing of the holes in the board. You might be able to bend them
                > > > a bit, but I usually add a short length of bare solid wire to one
                > > > pin to get a fit. If I've lengthened a connection, I also use a dab
                > > > of hot-melt glue to make sure the holder can't move.

                > > batteryholder and a cr3032 instead of whats allready there.. is this a good
                > > choice? hard to do??
                > > > >

                > --
                >

                > Mvh
                >
                > Peter H.K Sedin

              • Gregg Sheehan
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011

                  Here's a tip..
                  Due to the short life span of the typical coin-style batteries, like the 3.0V CR 3025, etc, the better choice  to replace this, is with a lithium 3.5V backup battery with solder-able leads. In my experience, they just last a lot longer. And, if nothing else, that extra 0.5 V.gives you a longer time during the normal lifetime discharge- Remember the DX memory logic runs at nominal 5.0 VDC when the supply is ON, so a decayed battery of 2.9 v starts getting flakey, being on the borderline. With only a 0.1V difference from full charge.  Why?
                   Logic-LOW threshold can be about 1.2 to 1.7V and Logic-High threshold is about 3V for most common older-style logic/ memory devices. Think about it.
                   The enormous amount of portable audio/ digital stuff ( IPODS, cellphones, etc) on the market brought about new standard ( or nominal) operating logic levels for components (uPCs and memory) of around 3V, but that doesn't count here.This is vintage electronics, in every way..
                  The batteries I speak of look like those cylindrical specialty camera batteries, about .75 in x .5 in.but with attached, rigid leads. Looks like a short AAA cell.  A little drop of silicon to hold it above the PCB and voila! Should be easy to find on Digikey, but cost a bit more.
                  Besides, I just don't like changing batteries- you always lose a killer patch, it seems, in the process.I have had these last 10-15 years.Not bad.

                  Gregg

                  > or you could get a holder and a plane cr2032.. that way you dont need to
                  > solder naxt time it´s time for a battery change..
                  >
                  > 2011/11/1 dulcendo <dulcendo@...>
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > I just changed mine. Go to Digi-Key and order the battery, P659-ND. Take
                  > > the top and bottom off the TX81Z, no reason to disconnect the board and
                  > > remove it. I hooked up a new battery to the PCB using clips so I wouldn't
                  > > lose my presets, just trace it using a DMM if you do this. Un-solder the
                  > > old battery and then solder in the new battery. Took me about 5 minutes.
                  > >

                  > > --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "din5pin" <din5pin@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The original battery is a CR2032 with solder tabs. I suggest that you
                  > > > stay with the CR2032 (20mm diameter) and not a CR3032 (30 mm diameter).
                  > > >
                  > > > It's not a difficult job to remove the original battery, if you have
                  > > > decent skills. Make note of where the main board connectors go, or if
                  > > possible take a picture before you disconnect and remove the board.
                  > > >
                  > > > The terminal pins of most coincell holders won't line up with the
                  > > > spacing of the holes in the board. You might be able to bend them
                  > > > a bit, but I usually add a short length of bare solid wire to one
                  > > > pin to get a fit. If I've lengthened a connection, I also use a dab
                  > > > of hot-melt glue to make sure the holder can't move.

                  > > batteryholder and a cr3032 instead of whats allready there.. is this a good
                  > > choice? hard to do??
                  > > > >

                  > --
                  >

                  > Mvh
                  >
                  > Peter H.K Sedin

                • J.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
                    These videos may help too.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZEQJZy00NY

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR5cgof0slY

                    j.

                    --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, marcus gaudio <sucramgaudio@...> wrote:

                    > hey thanks for the informations, i wrote everything!
                    > cheers
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Greg
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2011
                      Per the manuals, the DX7II can play two voices at once (split/dual) and has stereo outs, whereas the DX7S plays one voice thru its mono out. Apart from that they are virtually identical including the system exclusive, which means performances created for the II might play on the S.

                      --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "roberto bellan" <mcduff@...> wrote:

                      > Hi, i am a new member, i ask if something can tell me the difference of DX7
                      > S with the DX7 II. I have buy one dx7 s but i don't have understend the
                      > difference.
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > cheers
                      >
                      > Roberto Bellan
                      > Tel. Cell. 3406537515
                      > Tel. Ufficio +39 0309748522
                      > http://www.robertobellan.it <http://www.robertobellan.it/>
                      > Email: <mailto:info@...> info@...
                      > Email portatile: <mailto:mcduff@...>
                      > mcduff@...
                    • Michael Diekmann
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 4, 2011
                        yeah i have a DX7s and i can confirm that it's almost the same than DX7II. performances of the dx7II work. you just can't do split/dual, and also there is no stereo panning function. other than that it's all the same and all editors & patches ect work. oh and the dac is 16bit like on the DX7II so it sounds cleaner than the original dx7 (some like this, some don't..).

                        hope that helps!
                        -m