Re: [YamahaDX] analogue filter? which one would you buy

  • jammie.emma@blueyonder.co.uk
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 1, 2011
      why dont you use a compresser with the gate input

      you would then get rythmic effects from a drum loop of what ever you are using for the rythmic section

      get a nice valve type comp which gives nice warmth
      pick them up from ebay for next to nothing these days

      as for filtering the only effect that maybe cool is resonance

      makeyour own

      goto mutable instruments site he does diy filters and a controller called the side kick which is an analog filter with various controls to build yourself for the cost of about £100
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 1, 2011
        i use the sy99 for my filters nice digital resonance filters
        and when doing 2fm and 2 wave patches together using the wave to modulate the fm carrier wave is great

        and having 1 fm to bandpass and 1 fm to lowpass with resonance no resonance on bandpass or highpass

        you can get some massive sculpters kick fm7 fm8 out the water no comparison and the fx are great sp990

        !

        --

        MT

      • Lee Borrell
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 1, 2011
          I have an old MF10 chip hanging about which I never built into a filter - the idea of it seems similar to what Maplin did when using 4016 digital switches to switch capacitor circuits.

          I understand that digital filters should be more effective than analogue:

          I have the 4016 based board from the Maplin synthesizer (3800/5600) but never finished building it - it has most of the parts in place minus the pots and switches,and possibly the chips - which are generally available. I have no idea what these sound like - but imagine they must have been as effective as the 5600 synth which I have an audio tape of. So MF10/4016 is one way to get filters - and probably not expensive.

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 1, 2011
            --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, Martin Tarenskeen <m.tarenskeen@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, sweetsynthchuck wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Guys im on the search of a analogue filter , any suggestions?
            > >
            > > to process fm and other bits and bobs.
            >
            > Adding a real analog filter an all digital FM synth is an interesting
            > experiment. But: In your other posting you say you love FM but suck at
            > programming it. If you are thinking it is easier to tweak your DX/TX/TQ
            > sounds using an anlogue filter with knobs, than diving in the complicated
            > but adventureous world of algorhythms, operators, and frequency ratios,
            > you are on the wrong track. First learn how to make any (almost) sound you
            > are looking for using the FM synthesis, and only use external filtering
            > and effect processing - if you still need to - at the end of that process
            > !
            >
            > --
            >
            > MT

            Absolutely Martin! Get every last little bit you can out of the Fm programming, then when you've carried it as far as you can run it through filters if you still want more. The SY99 is awesome for doing just that and the SY77 is not far behind it), I had a lot of fun and interesting results when I moved all of my DX7IIFD stuff over to my SY77/99, it always sounded better on the SYs, sometimes radically better.
            Clyde

            DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.
          • jammie.emma@blueyonder.co.uk
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 2, 2011
              like clyde said it seems to shimmer on the sy,s
              like when you add feedback on the dx7 to much produces white noise

              but on the sy it is much less more clear you dont get that on the fm7or fm8

              and the layering on the  sy is great to as an fm synth it can sound very analog with the use of filters

              as you are doing additive which is what fm is adding osc and modulating some of those osc and that new modulated osc is then added to the wave form

              and this gives you the spectra that you desire but with a filter you are all so able to take away the frequencies that you cant with the product of fm so that anoying white noise that is a little to much you are able to cut out and be left with the bits you like

              and adding resonance makes it a little sweeter but to much and it all becomes high pitched syn waves which defeats the object of creating the fm spectra in the first place

              its the same with wavetable scanning synths i make transwaves for ensoniq samplers and and from these 128 scannable single cycle snippets i use them in the sy85 sy99 korgt1/t2ex/t3ex/casio fz1/fz10/rolands330/s70/s770/s760/kurzweilk2000

              i find like the ppg if you start to add resonance to a wavetable that is being scaned you can lose the feal of the wave table due to the spectra being changed to sine waves

              so use resonance sparingly

              as for being able to use bandpass and high pass and modulating the same fm patch twice with different modulation and and different filters and samples is just class

              using nice voice quiers and a fm quier together makes them sound so much better

              like hans zimmer said being able to use real instruments with synthesized instruments together in hiss symphony scapes for films give them a better edge than just using real samples