Re: Heads up on my software

  • Ross Clement
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 1, 2011
      --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, charlie 'chop' copp <charles.copp@...> wrote:

      > ross available for the pc too?
      >
      > charles

      It should run on the PC too, but I have never tested it. I'll take my TX7 into work today and give it a go.

      To run my program on any machine, you have to have Java installed and it be set up to run .jar files. If Java is installed normally, you can run .jar files just by double clicking on them. I've put a test file up into http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/YamahaDXfiles/files/DX7Editor/ that you or anyone could use to test if they have java installed and set up. Called "TestJar.jar". If you save this on your desktop and double click, it'll run and bring up a small window saying that you can run .jar files, or it won't. Could you please give that a test?

      I've just tried on my Mac (OS X 10.6.8) and it runs a .jar file fine if double clicked, with just the standard java and java setup that comes with the operating system.

      At present I have no installer. I can send a .jar file by normal email (don't want to upload one in public yet), but I will also have to send the help as a zip file that you'd have to extract. If you want the "speech" part of it, then that's a 15M zip file of audio (which needs to grow once I work out the full list of words and phrases it needs and add the missing ones), which I'd need to distribute .... somehow.

      Cheers,

      Ross
    • Ross Clement
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 2, 2011
        --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Daum <ryan.daum@...> wrote:

        > Does your editor also work with the 4-op TX series, TQ-5, etc?
        >
        > I'm a Java developer also, I'd be willing to help out with both testing and
        > development if you want.
        >
        > I've got a DX200, FS1R, and TQ-5. The DX200 should act like a DX7 for
        > testing, and it would be interesting to try to adapt your code to work with
        > the latter two.
        >
        > Ryan

        At present it doesn't work with four operator synths. However, I own a FB01 (which I bought when it was just released and have never really used). So, when I get the basic 6-op series work, as well as weird and unusual plugins :) I hope to get it working with the FB-01. That would require some adaptation of sysex etc., and once that's done, it should be easy to expand to other 4 and 6 op synths. I don't know how sysex compatible the various 4 op synths and 6 op synths are. At present there is an "Instrument" choice in one menu, but the only options are DX7 or TX7, and nothing is done with that choice yet. Adding a FB01 choice, disabling operators 5 and 6, and then propagating changes throughout the software (different algorithms etc. would prepare it for adding additional instruments.

        At present the code is fairly rough. Occasionally I go through things already written and smooth them out a bit :), but I wasn't thinking of exposing my code to public scrutiny just yet. Ryan, I'll send you the executable .jar file including source, but would like to keep smoothing it out and completing it. Particularly for the "detailed editing" window, there's a lot still undone, but the basic editing seems to work OK.

        The design of the software is that it will be a program to which additional functionality can be added through plugins. So, if you or other java developers wanted to add something to it, plugins would be a good way to do things. I was hoping to head up the route towards the more advanced FM synths, but for something as advanced as the FS1R, with it's additional filters etc., I'm not sure how that would be easy. My next target was actually the DX7II, which I don't yet own. But, when I get to the situation where it's more important for me to have a DX7II, then I'll up my ebay bid amounts from "waiting for a bargain" to "I want one now!".

        Charlie, your computer probably already has java on it, as many web pages require it. You could try running the sample java program I uploaded to DXFiles, and see if it works.

        I'm hoping to do some trial runs on Windows XP today or thereabouts. Testing on Windows 7 was .... inconclusive. The program works, but Windows 7 suddenly lost my USB MIDI interface half way through. It then wouldn't recognise it, even if unplugged and plugged back in again, until I rebooted. The interface also vanished from other MIDI enabled software such as Max/MSP. Searching around suggests that Windows 7 has "issues" with MIDI, so I don't know if this was a problem with my program or a general MIDI/Operating System problem. More experimentation will follow.

        The program is designed to use fairly high resolution screens, in order to get sliders and parameter boxes for all basic parameters on the screen at once. But, the monitors that I tested on were even bigger in pixel terms (and physical size) than my mac, and my interface took up nothing like all of the screen. I think I'd better make the program realise that there is additional screen size, and use it appropriately.

        Cheers,

        Ross