Re: [YamahaDX] [Reset DX7 II FD with E!]

  • Maia
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
      Hi

      Although informative, the battery and NEW, THISPROBLEM IS TYPICAL OF A PROBLEM OFBATTERY.

      When you can send the libraries to DX by MIDI over USB, it corrects all these defects of detunedsounds etc..

      ####

      My DXII no has  EmaterCard but should work the same way.

      1 In a DX you should put the protected internal memory OFF
      2 In DX you should tell the banks that will receive the patch: 1-32 or 33-64.

      3 In the computer program sends you a bank of sounds by MIDI (the message sent)

      4 On LED DX appears the messageb data receipt.

      The DX automatically replaces the corrupted database sounds and names.

      good luck.

      I use linux  and Simple Sysexxer to send banks by MIDI.
      then mac and windows informations Ican not help. (I used google translator sorry)

      Ricardo

      De: Henry Jones <untiltheen38133@...>
      Para: YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com
      Enviadas: Sábado, 28 de Maio de 2011 15:35
      Assunto: [YamahaDX] [Reset DX7 II FD with E!]

      Hello,

      We've got a great DX7 II FD with the E! Grey Matter expansion card.

      I have to do a good bit of tinkering to get sounds to come out when I turn the synth on. Every time it seems as if the synth is reset and I have to go through a big rigamarole to get sound out again.

      Additionally, the sounds are usually all fairly detuned.

      Plus, there are crazy characters in the display window for a lot of sounds.

      The battery in it is brand new. But I'd really like to be able to re-set the whole thing from scratch, with factory settings. We've got two carts that came with it but aren't sure what's on each cart, if anything. I've tried using a library loading program with a MIDI-to-USB cable, with no luck.

      Does anyone on here have thorough instructions for a reset of the E! card and/or the II FD? I'm at a complete loss. I want to learn how to use it better (program it, etc), but for the moment I want to be able to use factory presets and then tweak from there.

      Thanks in advance!

    • jjflash_ca
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
        > I have to do a good bit of tinkering to get sounds to come out when I turn the synth on. Every time it seems as if the synth is reset and I have to go through a big rigamarole to get sound out again.

        Still sounds like you have a bad battery.
        I know you say it's new, but if the new battery was really "soldered" into place, I might not be good now.

        What you describe is exactly what I went through with my dead battery.

        My keyboard is identical to yours.
        I removed the old battery and installed a battery holder on a piece of plastic. I soldered wires to the holder and then soldered to the underside of the circuit board where the old battery was soldered to.
        I mounted the piece of plastic (with attached battery holder) off one of the screw terminals for the circuit board.

        I would check your battery voltage, ON THE CIRCUIT BOARD, then I would check that all E! wiring is firmly attached.
      • Gil Sicuro
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
          One good move would be leaving the circuit board without battery for a couple od hours to make sure any erratic data is erased from RAM, then re-loading the sysex into the RAM.

          cheerz

          > I have to do a good bit of tinkering to get sounds to come out when I turn the synth on. Every time it seems as if the synth is reset and I have to go through a big rigamarole to get sound out again.

          Still sounds like you have a bad battery.
          I know you say it's new, but if the new battery was really "soldered" into place, I might not be good now.

          What you describe is exactly what I went through with my dead battery.

          My keyboard is identical to yours.
          I removed the old battery and installed a battery holder on a piece of plastic. I soldered wires to the holder and then soldered to the underside of the circuit board where the old battery was soldered to.
          I mounted the piece of plastic (with attached battery holder) off one of the screw terminals for the circuit board.

          I would check your battery voltage, ON THE CIRCUIT BOARD, then I would check that all E! wiring is firmly attached.

        • rawl47
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2011
            I have a DX mark I with E! board and when I replaced the original soldered in battery, in the de-soldering process, I "fried" the isolation diode resulting in excessive voltage to the memory circuits whenever the power supply was turned on. This gave me erratic issues similar to what you described. So, you might want to check the battery isolation diode to make sure it didn't get fried by the heat of removing the soldered-in battery. I know it took a lot of heat to get the old battery loose from my circuit board.

            Rawl