Re: [YamahaDX] DX7IIFD Floppy Drive to emulator

  • Martin Tarenskeen
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
      On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, clarski wrote:

      > My floppy drive is broken "cicuit board cracked". I'm thinking of
      > putting in a emulator so I can put all my disks on a usb stick.
      > I know the floppy drive is 720k which is impposible to find.
      > Has anyone ever attempted to do this swap? Or am I dreaming that it
      > will work. LOL

      I don't quite understand what you mean with "putting in an emulator" ?

      Anyway, once you have your files copied to harddisk or usb stick you still
      can't do much with them, except: use my DXconvert to convert them to SysEx
      or MIDI files and then use MIDI for patch transfer. But DXconvert will
      only convert VMEM/AMEM Voice data (64 patches per file), not Performances,
      Microtuning data, Fractional Scaling data etc.

      --

      Martin
    • Gil Sicuro
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
        There is a group of people here in Brazil doing that kind of test. They already found that to be actually possible with a number of keyboards. A friend will tell me about if that is possible on the SY77, I gave him the standard PC <-> SY77 drive pinout table, so he will make some tests. I assume the DX7II uses a similar drive (720k) as of the one found on the SY77 so that information may be useful.

        cheerz

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
          Have you tried to buy a used drive off eBay or Craig's List? These were used in early PCs like 386 processor era and 486 era PCs. Leter the 1.44 MB became the standard but before that, the first drives of this type in PCs were 720k drives. Worth a try...

          Good Luck,
          Rawl

          --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "clarski" <clarski@...> wrote:

          > My floppy drive is broken "cicuit board cracked". I'm thinking of
          > putting in a emulator so I can put all my disks on a usb stick.
          > I know the floppy drive is 720k which is impposible to find.
          > Has anyone ever attempted to do this swap? Or am I dreaming that it
          > will work. LOL

        • narfman96
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
            Hi Clarski,
            Have you researched the USB Floppy Emulators? Here is a promising link:
            http://jimwarholic.com/2009/04/fdd-floppy-disk-drive-emulators.php
            I found quite a few of the 720k emulator drives. The next thing to check is if they are compatible with the WD1772 drive controller. Some were as cheap as $50 US. This would be a much better alternative than the $100+ replacement drives that are out there...
            Fran
            --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "clarski" <clarski@...> wrote:

            > My floppy drive is broken "cicuit board cracked". I'm thinking of
            > putting in a emulator so I can put all my disks on a usb stick.
            > I know the floppy drive is 720k which is impposible to find.
            > Has anyone ever attempted to do this swap? Or am I dreaming that it
            > will work. LOL

          • Gil Sicuro
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
              As far as I know the USB floppy emulator can be internally strapped to act as a 720k floppy. The connection is standard PC, but there is a pinout map so you can build a cable to make it compatible with the SY77. My guess is that the DX7II FD drive is of the same kind.

              cheerz

              Have you researched the USB Floppy Emulators? Here is a promising link:
              http://jimwarholic.com/2009/04/fdd-floppy-disk-drive-emulators.php
              I found quite a few of the 720k emulator drives. The next thing to check is if they are compatible with the WD1772 drive controller. Some were as cheap as $50 US. This would be a much better alternative than the $100+ replacement drives that are out there...
              Fran

              --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, "clarski" <clarski@...> wrote:

              > My floppy drive is broken "cicuit board cracked". I'm thinking of
              > putting in a emulator so I can put all my disks on a usb stick.
              > I know the floppy drive is 720k which is impposible to find.
              > Has anyone ever attempted to do this swap? Or am I dreaming that it
              > will work. LOL

            • clarski
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
                I cant beleive the great response I got concerning this post.
                Thanks for everyones input. I'm starting to think I may be out of luck
                reloading files back into this keyboard. I do have discs I purchased on Ebay, but as you mention no sysex files. Do I understand that
                correctly?
                Thanks again for everyones input.

                --- In YamahaDX@yahoogroups.com, Martin Tarenskeen <m.tarenskeen@...> wrote:

                > On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, clarski wrote:
                >

                > > My floppy drive is broken "cicuit board cracked". I'm thinking of
                > > putting in a emulator so I can put all my disks on a usb stick.
                > > I know the floppy drive is 720k which is impposible to find.
                > > Has anyone ever attempted to do this swap? Or am I dreaming that it
                > > will work. LOL
                >
                > I don't quite understand what you mean with "putting in an emulator" ?
                >
                > Anyway, once you have your files copied to harddisk or usb stick you still
                > can't do much with them, except: use my DXconvert to convert them to SysEx
                > or MIDI files and then use MIDI for patch transfer. But DXconvert will
                > only convert VMEM/AMEM Voice data (64 patches per file), not Performances,
                > Microtuning data, Fractional Scaling data etc.
                >
                > --
                >
                > Martin

              • larry clair
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
                  Thanls Martin,
                  Is the DX editor on the forums site, or do I purchase from you?

                  Larry

                • m.tarenskeen@zonnet.nl
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 8, 2011
                    Citeren larry clair <clarski@...>:

                    > Thanls Martin,
                    > Is the DX editor on the forums site, or do I purchase from you?
                    >
                    > Larry

                    1. DXconvert is NOT an editor. It is a very flexible and intelligent
                    DX7 (DX7II, TX7, etc.) file conversion tool.

                    2. You don't have to purchase it, it is free. (GNU Public License)

                    3. You can find it in the Files section in the Yahoo YamahaDXfiles
                    group, or directly from my own website:
                    http://download.martintarenskeen.nl in the "sysex" directory.

                    Martin