XP editor

  • me_grimmy
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
      Hi all

      I had a dx27 for many years. Unfortunately a slightly hyped up Labrador knocked it from the stand and killed it. I just acquired a DX7 and look forward to using it.

      I would think that this question has been ask a thousand times a thousand times. Please forgive me for the repeat.

      I have acquired many "syx" files and would like to be able to; open, edit and transmit them to the synth. Any links I have found has been dead..

      Is there any programs that you would recommend. Links would be great.

      Thanks ahead
    • jeff bornhoeft

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
        • Alan Probandt
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
            I use MIDI Ox.exe on Windows to send syx files to synths. Generally .syx files begin with the byte value 0xf0 (240) and end with 0xf7 (247). They are exact storages of the MIDI blocks that have been output from the synth, with no custom headers or formatting.

            To make syx files with MIDI Ox, set the number of input buffers to be two and the size of each buffer to be about 2000. Set the SysEx options to save received data into a file. Then type the MIDI request string hex numbers into the top half of the SysEx box. Select Send/Receive MIDI from the pulldown menu. Ox will open a File:Save box and send the MIDI bytes out. After a second or two, MIDI bytes come into the Ox program and the counter increments. After the counter stops incrementing for a few seconds, click on the Exit button.

            When the DX7 was selling, there were lots of editor programs that saved voice set downloads. But most of them did things like add header blocks or stripped out the header from the SysEx stream that came from the DX7. Which was really stupid because none of these editors had their custom formats documented. So there are lots of collections of Dx7 voices made with these programs floating around on the web that are unusable because no one knows now what their format was. SYX files are often the only files that still work for uploading 20 year old collections of DX7 voices back into the machine.

            MIDI ox can be a real pain to use. But go slow, take a lot of deep breaths, relax and it usually does eventually work.
            > I had a dx27 for many years. Unfortunately a slightly hyped
            > up Labrador knocked it from the stand and killed it. I just
            > acquired a DX7 and look forward to using it.
            >
            > I would think that this question has been ask a thousand
            > times a thousand times. Please forgive me for the repeat.
            >
            > I have acquired many "syx" files and would like to be able
            > to; open, edit and transmit them to the synth. Any links I
            > have found has been dead..
            >
            > Is there any programs that you would recommend. Links would
            > be great.
            >
            > Thanks ahead

            >     YamahaDX-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • charlie midi gfa
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
              i use an old (pre pc) computer emulator on my xp.
              this device is called steem

              the atari ste emulator

              tims atari midi world has plenty of atari apps that can be used within
              steem on the pc for your dx.

              have fun
              charles

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
                hey find me this so called unusable dx7 file format
                i have written a converter for many dx formats and i'm certain i'd be able
                to manipulate /reformat and thenreproduce the original sys ex from such file

                i'd like to know man , please

                getting busy with my old digital stuff
                charles

                I use MIDI Ox.exe on Windows to send syx files to synths. Generally .syx
                files begin with the byte value 0xf0 (240) and end with 0xf7 (247). They
                are exact storages of the MIDI blocks that have been output from the synth,
                with no custom headers or formatting.

                To make syx files with MIDI Ox, set the number of input buffers to be two
                and the size of each buffer to be about 2000. Set the SysEx options to save
                received data into a file. Then type the MIDI request string hex numbers
                into the top half of the SysEx box. Select Send/Receive MIDI from the
                pulldown menu. Ox will open a File:Save box and send the MIDI bytes out.
                After a second or two, MIDI bytes come into the Ox program and the counter
                increments. After the counter stops incrementing for a few seconds, click
                on the Exit button.

                When the DX7 was selling, there were lots of editor programs that saved
                voice set downloads. But most of them did things like add header blocks or
                stripped out the header from the SysEx stream that came from the DX7. Which
                was really stupid because none of these editors had their custom formats
                documented. So there are lots of collections of Dx7 voices made with these
                programs floating around on the web that are unusable because no one knows
                now what their format was. SYX files are often the only files that still
                work for uploading 20 year old collections of DX7 voices back into the
                machine.

                MIDI ox can be a real pain to use. But go slow, take a lot of deep
                breaths, relax and it usually does eventually work.
                > I had a dx27 for many years. Unfortunately a slightly hyped
                > up Labrador knocked it from the stand and killed it. I just
                > acquired a DX7 and look forward to using it.
                >
                > I would think that this question has been ask a thousand
                > times a thousand times. Please forgive me for the repeat.
                >
                > I have acquired many "syx" files and would like to be able
                > to; open, edit and transmit them to the synth. Any links I
                > have found has been dead..
                >
                > Is there any programs that you would recommend. Links would
                > be great.
                >
                > Thanks ahead

                > YamahaDX-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              • jdeckard1
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 4, 2010
                  If anyone is looking for an editor for the DX7, DX11, DX21, DX27, DX100 first generation and TX81Z, I suggest you try the one at

                  http://www.fm-alive.com/

                  I have version 2 and it works well for me.
                • Vince
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 4, 2010
                    I use the fm alive Dx-manager version 3,But if you are looking for a good freeware program to load sysex files Bomes midi-ox works great Very easy to use ,and I have not found a sysex file I could not load.It works on just about every synth.
                    http://www.midiox.com/