Re: GMail - has the killer feature that I need

  • Guillaume
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 24, 2005
      LOL provocation here?

      Yeh this Gmail feature is new and was implemented three days ago.
      The worst thing with Gmail is that it's gonna add anyone in you
      contact list I hate that...Not mentionning the poor customization of
      this list by the way, nor the lack of Calendar or Notepad.

      Isn't it funny how provocation always work (at least with me!)

      The Yahoo Mail beta Plateform, if we all guessed correcly should be
      out in 8 days, for Labor Day, along with the "real" VOIP service.
      So...yeh switch...and see you back next week ;)
    • jbeaul
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 24, 2005
        Not "Plateform," it's "platform." Now write it sixty times as your
        punishment.

        I'm not holding my breath for the forecasted Labor Day event. A lot
        will have happened since he made that comment.

        Joe

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <guillaume.belfiore@g...>

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 24, 2005
          Oh Man! I keep doing that mistake !! I think I should be using more
          the spell checker of Yahoo Mail composer (ok that one was just to stay
          on-topic!)

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:
          > Not "Plateform," it's "platform." Now write it sixty times as your
          > punishment.
          >
          > I'm not holding my breath for the forecasted Labor Day event. A lot
          > will have happened since he made that comment.
          >
          > Joe
          >

          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <guillaume.belfiore@g...>
          > wrote:
          > > LOL provocation here?
          > >
          > > Yeh this Gmail feature is new and was implemented three days ago.
          > > The worst thing with Gmail is that it's gonna add anyone in you
          > > contact list I hate that...Not mentionning the poor customization of
          > > this list by the way, nor the lack of Calendar or Notepad.
          > >
          > > Isn't it funny how provocation always work (at least with me!)
          > >
          > > The Yahoo Mail beta Plateform, if we all guessed correcly should be
          > > out in 8 days, for Labor Day, along with the "real" VOIP service.
          > > So...yeh switch...and see you back next week ;)
        • Joshua Logan
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 25, 2005
            None of those complaints deterred me from switching.

            Who cares if it puts anyone you mail to in your contacts list? It's
            not like you're constantly looking at the list, and you can remove it
            if it's that much of a bother.

            I would like to make contact lists, but I'm sure they're working on it
            (I made a request). And for some reason, I've yet to need it.

            It would be nice to have a calendar, but I'm sure they're working on
            that. In the meantime, I'll just use Yahoo's...it's just a click away.

            I already have a notepad in gmail. I call it "Drafts" :)
            I make drafts to myself for whatever I need. That makes it easily
            accessible and search-able.

            Gmail is fast, clean and simple! And it's here now!

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 25, 2005
              Well I actually care not to be able to actually manage my Address
              Book in Gmail the way I can manage any other address Book. Yeh
              they'r eprobly working on many stuff, but their like of experience
              in the webmail development does not speed the evolution of Gmail as
              a whole. As for me I bet on a compnay that actually has "experience"
              and proved it numerous time.
              And no, Gmail is not "here" yet, or well, if it is... its cleaness
              and simplicty can only be attirbuted to its lack of features.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Logan" <emailjaylogan@y...>

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 25, 2005
                I bet on no company. I just use and enjoy products that give me what I
                need, which Gmail has done for me in spades. Maybe the new yahoo mail
                will be enjoyable for me too, whenever it comes out...we'll just have
                to see.

                > And no, Gmail is not "here" yet, or well, if it is... its cleaness
                > and simplicty can only be attirbuted to its lack of features.

                Well here we'll agree to disagree. It is here, and I am using it. And
                the cleanness and simplicity is built in, as it is with pretty much
                everything they do...it has very little to do with "lack of features".

              • flurrylake@googlemail.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 25, 2005
                  I venture to reply to this message from our fearless leader. (c:
                  From what I've read here on the message board, I believe you have a paid
                  Yahoo account (and otherwise you couldn't do that
                  send-from-another-email-addy).
                  Should you in fact decide to move, you can always forward your Yahoo Mail to
                  your Gmail, as long as you're paying, and thus have it all integrated.
                  That, of course you're already aware of...so that was just my 2¢
                  worth...excuse me...
                  Flurry L.
                  

                  On 8/24/05, jbeaul <joe@...> wrote:

                  > I have always loved a feature in Y! Mail which enables me to send and
                  > receive mail to/from my work address. As far as I knew, this ability
                  > wasn't offered by any other web mail service. I just noticed that
                  > GMail is offering this now. Given the speed of GMail, I am going to
                  > seriously consider moving. I am so tired of waiting 30 to 60 seconds
                  > two or three times a day while Y! Mail resets from whatever so I can
                  > access my mail.
                  >
                  > I'm a big Y! fan but business is business!
                  >
                  > Joe

                • jbeaul
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 26, 2005
                    Okay. I didn't do it and have recommitted to staying with Y! Mail.
                    What made the difference for me was a comment by Srijith to Jeremy
                    Zawodny's post about changing from Yahoo! Mail to GMail (
                    http://tinyurl.com/dulkm ). Srijith mentions (
                    http://tinyurl.com/7syrb ) how Gmail locked down his email account for
                    24 hours for no apparent (to him) reason.

                    That's scary. I'll stay where my access has been safe for years and
                    years.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 26, 2005
                      Weird indeed ! glad to have you back :)
                    • Joshua Logan
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 26, 2005
                        Good. You should definitely stay where you're happy.

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:
                        > Okay. I didn't do it and have recommitted to staying with Y! Mail.
                        > What made the difference for me was a comment by Srijith to Jeremy
                        > Zawodny's post about changing from Yahoo! Mail to GMail (
                        > http://tinyurl.com/dulkm ). Srijith mentions (
                        > http://tinyurl.com/7syrb ) how Gmail locked down his email account for
                        > 24 hours for no apparent (to him) reason.
                        >
                        > That's scary. I'll stay where my access has been safe for years and
                        > years.
                        >
                        > Joe
                        >

                        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <guillaume.belfiore@g...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > LOL provocation here?
                        > >
                        > > Yeh this Gmail feature is new and was implemented three days ago.
                        > > The worst thing with Gmail is that it's gonna add anyone in you
                        > > contact list I hate that...Not mentionning the poor customization of
                        > > this list by the way, nor the lack of Calendar or Notepad.
                        > >
                        > > Isn't it funny how provocation always work (at least with me!)
                        > >
                        > > The Yahoo Mail beta Plateform, if we all guessed correcly should be
                        > > out in 8 days, for Labor Day, along with the "real" VOIP service.
                        > > So...yeh switch...and see you back next week ;)
                      • Olivier C. Laurent
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                          Hello all,

                          For the past two or three days, my Yahoo! Mail has been slower than usual, wherever I would connect to read my mails. Today, every once in a while, when I click on the Yahoo! Mail logo, I'm redirected to the old version of Yahoo! Mail, the really old version with the frames and all! Is that normal? Or something is happening to Yahoo! Mail?

                          Olivier

                        • Paul.Getty
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Olivier C. Laurent"
                            <olivierclaurent@y...> wrote:
                            > Hello all,
                            >
                            > For the past two or three days, my Yahoo! Mail has been slower than
                            usual, wherever I would connect to read my mails. Today, every once in
                            a while, when I click on the Yahoo! Mail logo, I'm redirected to the
                            old version of Yahoo! Mail, the really old version with the frames and
                            all! Is that normal? Or something is happening to Yahoo! Mail?

                            > Olivier

                            me too!
                          • michael6p
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                              You are not the only one, I also have had this problem today (a very old
                              version of Yahoo! Mail which appear sometimes when I check my mail).

                              <olivierclaurent@y...> wrote:
                              > Hello all,
                              >
                              > For the past two or three days, my Yahoo! Mail has been slower than
                              usual, wherever I would connect to read my mails. Today, every once in
                              a while, when I click on the Yahoo! Mail logo, I'm redirected to the
                              old version of Yahoo! Mail, the really old version with the frames and
                              all! Is that normal? Or something is happening to Yahoo! Mail?

                              > Olivier

                            • Razvan Antonescu
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                                Hey guys. What browser are you using when you have
                                that old page. Just wanted to try smthg in IE and got
                                the old page. The problem i see is that i use IE7
                                beta.

                                wrote:

                                > Hello all,
                                >
                                > For the past two or three days, my Yahoo! Mail has
                                > been slower than usual, wherever I would connect to
                                > read my mails. Today, every once in a while, when I
                                > click on the Yahoo! Mail logo, I'm redirected to the
                                > old version of Yahoo! Mail, the really old version
                                > with the frames and all! Is that normal? Or
                                > something is happening to Yahoo! Mail?
                                >
                                > Olivier

                                > removed]

                              • Aaron Conrad
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                                  All-

                                  I have been a fly on the all in this group for a few weeks now. I have
                                  enjoyed the comments and also highly anticipate the launch of the new
                                  Yahoo! I agree with you about something happening. Yahoo has been
                                  undergoing some small changes over the past 2 weeks that I have seen.
                                  I don't know if you have checked your account (if you have mail plus.
                                  or Music Unlimited) but that whole page has changed a but. Much
                                  cleaner and neater to read. I have had the same problem with logging
                                  in and getting that weird look. A refresh takes care of it, but I
                                  think they might be doing something in the background. It was really
                                  bad last weekend. Keep up the great comments.
                                • michael6p
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                                    I'm using Firefox 1.0.6

                                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Razvan Antonescu <antonescurazvan@y...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > Hey guys. What browser are you using when you have
                                    > that old page. Just wanted to try smthg in IE and got
                                    > the old page. The problem i see is that i use IE7
                                    > beta.
                                    >
                                    > --- "Olivier C. Laurent" <olivierclaurent@y...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Hello all,
                                    > >
                                    > > For the past two or three days, my Yahoo! Mail has
                                    > > been slower than usual, wherever I would connect to
                                    > > read my mails. Today, every once in a while, when I
                                    > > click on the Yahoo! Mail logo, I'm redirected to the
                                    > > old version of Yahoo! Mail, the really old version
                                    > > with the frames and all! Is that normal? Or
                                    > > something is happening to Yahoo! Mail?
                                    > >
                                    > > Olivier

                                    > > removed]

                                  • jbeaul
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                                      I have posted (maybe for future reference) the strange mail page which
                                      is loading periodically. It's at http://tinyurl.com/7m57h and does
                                      look strangley like the previous version of Y! Mail.

                                      Joe

                                    • flurrylake@googlemail.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                                        I made a screen shot of mine *http://tinyurl.com/btcjj
                                        *Flurry L.*
                                        *

                                        --
                                        one G-d, many faiths...one world to share