GMail - has the killer feature that I need

  • jbeaul
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 24, 2005
      I have always loved a feature in Y! Mail which enables me to send and
      receive mail to/from my work address. As far as I knew, this ability
      wasn't offered by any other web mail service. I just noticed that
      GMail is offering this now. Given the speed of GMail, I am going to
      seriously consider moving. I am so tired of waiting 30 to 60 seconds
      two or three times a day while Y! Mail resets from whatever so I can
      access my mail.

      I'm a big Y! fan but business is business!

      Joe
    • Guillaume
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 24, 2005
        LOL provocation here?

        Yeh this Gmail feature is new and was implemented three days ago.
        The worst thing with Gmail is that it's gonna add anyone in you
        contact list I hate that...Not mentionning the poor customization of
        this list by the way, nor the lack of Calendar or Notepad.

        Isn't it funny how provocation always work (at least with me!)

        The Yahoo Mail beta Plateform, if we all guessed correcly should be
        out in 8 days, for Labor Day, along with the "real" VOIP service.
        So...yeh switch...and see you back next week ;)
      • jbeaul
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 24, 2005
          Not "Plateform," it's "platform." Now write it sixty times as your
          punishment.

          I'm not holding my breath for the forecasted Labor Day event. A lot
          will have happened since he made that comment.

          Joe

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <guillaume.belfiore@g...>

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 24, 2005
            Oh Man! I keep doing that mistake !! I think I should be using more
            the spell checker of Yahoo Mail composer (ok that one was just to stay
            on-topic!)

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:
            > Not "Plateform," it's "platform." Now write it sixty times as your
            > punishment.
            >
            > I'm not holding my breath for the forecasted Labor Day event. A lot
            > will have happened since he made that comment.
            >
            > Joe
            >

            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <guillaume.belfiore@g...>
            > wrote:
            > > LOL provocation here?
            > >
            > > Yeh this Gmail feature is new and was implemented three days ago.
            > > The worst thing with Gmail is that it's gonna add anyone in you
            > > contact list I hate that...Not mentionning the poor customization of
            > > this list by the way, nor the lack of Calendar or Notepad.
            > >
            > > Isn't it funny how provocation always work (at least with me!)
            > >
            > > The Yahoo Mail beta Plateform, if we all guessed correcly should be
            > > out in 8 days, for Labor Day, along with the "real" VOIP service.
            > > So...yeh switch...and see you back next week ;)
          • Joshua Logan
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 25, 2005
              None of those complaints deterred me from switching.

              Who cares if it puts anyone you mail to in your contacts list? It's
              not like you're constantly looking at the list, and you can remove it
              if it's that much of a bother.

              I would like to make contact lists, but I'm sure they're working on it
              (I made a request). And for some reason, I've yet to need it.

              It would be nice to have a calendar, but I'm sure they're working on
              that. In the meantime, I'll just use Yahoo's...it's just a click away.

              I already have a notepad in gmail. I call it "Drafts" :)
              I make drafts to myself for whatever I need. That makes it easily
              accessible and search-able.

              Gmail is fast, clean and simple! And it's here now!

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 25, 2005
                Well I actually care not to be able to actually manage my Address
                Book in Gmail the way I can manage any other address Book. Yeh
                they'r eprobly working on many stuff, but their like of experience
                in the webmail development does not speed the evolution of Gmail as
                a whole. As for me I bet on a compnay that actually has "experience"
                and proved it numerous time.
                And no, Gmail is not "here" yet, or well, if it is... its cleaness
                and simplicty can only be attirbuted to its lack of features.

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Logan" <emailjaylogan@y...>

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 25, 2005
                  I bet on no company. I just use and enjoy products that give me what I
                  need, which Gmail has done for me in spades. Maybe the new yahoo mail
                  will be enjoyable for me too, whenever it comes out...we'll just have
                  to see.

                  > And no, Gmail is not "here" yet, or well, if it is... its cleaness
                  > and simplicty can only be attirbuted to its lack of features.

                  Well here we'll agree to disagree. It is here, and I am using it. And
                  the cleanness and simplicity is built in, as it is with pretty much
                  everything they do...it has very little to do with "lack of features".

                • flurrylake@googlemail.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 25, 2005
                    I venture to reply to this message from our fearless leader. (c:
                    From what I've read here on the message board, I believe you have a paid
                    Yahoo account (and otherwise you couldn't do that
                    send-from-another-email-addy).
                    Should you in fact decide to move, you can always forward your Yahoo Mail to
                    your Gmail, as long as you're paying, and thus have it all integrated.
                    That, of course you're already aware of...so that was just my 2¢
                    worth...excuse me...
                    Flurry L.
                    

                    On 8/24/05, jbeaul <joe@...> wrote:

                    > I have always loved a feature in Y! Mail which enables me to send and
                    > receive mail to/from my work address. As far as I knew, this ability
                    > wasn't offered by any other web mail service. I just noticed that
                    > GMail is offering this now. Given the speed of GMail, I am going to
                    > seriously consider moving. I am so tired of waiting 30 to 60 seconds
                    > two or three times a day while Y! Mail resets from whatever so I can
                    > access my mail.
                    >
                    > I'm a big Y! fan but business is business!
                    >
                    > Joe

                  • jbeaul
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 26, 2005
                      Okay. I didn't do it and have recommitted to staying with Y! Mail.
                      What made the difference for me was a comment by Srijith to Jeremy
                      Zawodny's post about changing from Yahoo! Mail to GMail (
                      http://tinyurl.com/dulkm ). Srijith mentions (
                      http://tinyurl.com/7syrb ) how Gmail locked down his email account for
                      24 hours for no apparent (to him) reason.

                      That's scary. I'll stay where my access has been safe for years and
                      years.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 26, 2005
                        Weird indeed ! glad to have you back :)
                      • Joshua Logan
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 26, 2005
                          Good. You should definitely stay where you're happy.

                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:
                          > Okay. I didn't do it and have recommitted to staying with Y! Mail.
                          > What made the difference for me was a comment by Srijith to Jeremy
                          > Zawodny's post about changing from Yahoo! Mail to GMail (
                          > http://tinyurl.com/dulkm ). Srijith mentions (
                          > http://tinyurl.com/7syrb ) how Gmail locked down his email account for
                          > 24 hours for no apparent (to him) reason.
                          >
                          > That's scary. I'll stay where my access has been safe for years and
                          > years.
                          >
                          > Joe
                          >

                          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <guillaume.belfiore@g...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > LOL provocation here?
                          > >
                          > > Yeh this Gmail feature is new and was implemented three days ago.
                          > > The worst thing with Gmail is that it's gonna add anyone in you
                          > > contact list I hate that...Not mentionning the poor customization of
                          > > this list by the way, nor the lack of Calendar or Notepad.
                          > >
                          > > Isn't it funny how provocation always work (at least with me!)
                          > >
                          > > The Yahoo Mail beta Plateform, if we all guessed correcly should be
                          > > out in 8 days, for Labor Day, along with the "real" VOIP service.
                          > > So...yeh switch...and see you back next week ;)
                        • Olivier C. Laurent
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                            Hello all,

                            For the past two or three days, my Yahoo! Mail has been slower than usual, wherever I would connect to read my mails. Today, every once in a while, when I click on the Yahoo! Mail logo, I'm redirected to the old version of Yahoo! Mail, the really old version with the frames and all! Is that normal? Or something is happening to Yahoo! Mail?

                            Olivier

                          • Paul.Getty
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Olivier C. Laurent"
                              <olivierclaurent@y...> wrote:
                              > Hello all,
                              >
                              > For the past two or three days, my Yahoo! Mail has been slower than
                              usual, wherever I would connect to read my mails. Today, every once in
                              a while, when I click on the Yahoo! Mail logo, I'm redirected to the
                              old version of Yahoo! Mail, the really old version with the frames and
                              all! Is that normal? Or something is happening to Yahoo! Mail?

                              > Olivier

                              me too!
                            • michael6p
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                                You are not the only one, I also have had this problem today (a very old
                                version of Yahoo! Mail which appear sometimes when I check my mail).

                                <olivierclaurent@y...> wrote:
                                > Hello all,
                                >
                                > For the past two or three days, my Yahoo! Mail has been slower than
                                usual, wherever I would connect to read my mails. Today, every once in
                                a while, when I click on the Yahoo! Mail logo, I'm redirected to the
                                old version of Yahoo! Mail, the really old version with the frames and
                                all! Is that normal? Or something is happening to Yahoo! Mail?

                                > Olivier

                              • Razvan Antonescu
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                                  Hey guys. What browser are you using when you have
                                  that old page. Just wanted to try smthg in IE and got
                                  the old page. The problem i see is that i use IE7
                                  beta.

                                  wrote:

                                  > Hello all,
                                  >
                                  > For the past two or three days, my Yahoo! Mail has
                                  > been slower than usual, wherever I would connect to
                                  > read my mails. Today, every once in a while, when I
                                  > click on the Yahoo! Mail logo, I'm redirected to the
                                  > old version of Yahoo! Mail, the really old version
                                  > with the frames and all! Is that normal? Or
                                  > something is happening to Yahoo! Mail?
                                  >
                                  > Olivier

                                  > removed]

                                • Aaron Conrad
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                                    All-

                                    I have been a fly on the all in this group for a few weeks now. I have
                                    enjoyed the comments and also highly anticipate the launch of the new
                                    Yahoo! I agree with you about something happening. Yahoo has been
                                    undergoing some small changes over the past 2 weeks that I have seen.
                                    I don't know if you have checked your account (if you have mail plus.
                                    or Music Unlimited) but that whole page has changed a but. Much
                                    cleaner and neater to read. I have had the same problem with logging
                                    in and getting that weird look. A refresh takes care of it, but I
                                    think they might be doing something in the background. It was really
                                    bad last weekend. Keep up the great comments.
                                  • michael6p
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                                      I'm using Firefox 1.0.6

                                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Razvan Antonescu <antonescurazvan@y...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > Hey guys. What browser are you using when you have
                                      > that old page. Just wanted to try smthg in IE and got
                                      > the old page. The problem i see is that i use IE7
                                      > beta.
                                      >
                                      > --- "Olivier C. Laurent" <olivierclaurent@y...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Hello all,
                                      > >
                                      > > For the past two or three days, my Yahoo! Mail has
                                      > > been slower than usual, wherever I would connect to
                                      > > read my mails. Today, every once in a while, when I
                                      > > click on the Yahoo! Mail logo, I'm redirected to the
                                      > > old version of Yahoo! Mail, the really old version
                                      > > with the frames and all! Is that normal? Or
                                      > > something is happening to Yahoo! Mail?
                                      > >
                                      > > Olivier

                                      > > removed]

                                    • jbeaul
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                                        I have posted (maybe for future reference) the strange mail page which
                                        is loading periodically. It's at http://tinyurl.com/7m57h and does
                                        look strangley like the previous version of Y! Mail.

                                        Joe

                                      • flurrylake@googlemail.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 27, 2005
                                          I made a screen shot of mine *http://tinyurl.com/btcjj
                                          *Flurry L.*
                                          *

                                          --
                                          one G-d, many faiths...one world to share