Re: Y! mail beta requests

  • James
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 4, 2007
      There are a couple more improvements I just thought of...

      *Why must Yahoo! mail beta take you to the inbox when you press [check
      mail]. When I check for mail, I only want to go to my Inbox if I do
      have new mail. If I already wanted to go to my inbox, I'd press
      [inbox] (and it checks for new Emails for me that way as well).
      Often-times I hit [check mail] to update my feeds, and thus I want to
      stay in the feed tab. Yahoo! mail beta would give the feel of a more
      powerful, desktop-like app if it could check for mail in the
      background and not disrupt what you're doing.

      *Before Yahoo! mail beta gained chat, Yahoo! users kept messenger
      running in the background which provided IM access as well as sound
      alerts for new mail, contact sign on/sign off, and sent/recieved IM's.
      Now that Y! mail beta supports chat, Yahoo! messenger is no longer
      necessary. Yahoo! mail beta with chat provides the sound for IM's but
      not for the other events. Yahoo! mail beta needs to fill in where Y!
      messenger before provided sound -for new mail and for contact sign
      on/sign off. Because Y! mail beta is now a big info source, users
      will start to keep it running in the background. It is important that
      Y! mail beta alerts users when new mail is found, and sound does
      exactly this. These sounds can be copied directly from Y! messenger.

      *Y! mail beta with chat shows the number of contacts online, but
      provides no notification as to when or who this number increases or
      decreases. Y! mail beta should find some way to alert users of
      contact sign on/off. A temporary integrated pop-up in the bottom
      right could tell the name of the contact that signs on/off (as well as
      sound), just like Y! messenger did. This would be especially helpful
      if you're trying to contact a certain person (and you're not in the
      middle of an Email).

      Yahoo! mail beta is an excellent service that has improved constantly
      over time. These are (a ton of) suggestions I think could help keep
      the product moving in the right direction.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, James <netster007@...> wrote:

      > Since quality is all about attention to detail, here are a few minor
      annoyances:

      > *I was going to say to remove the redundant "this is spam" link from
      the more actions menu in folders, but it's already gone! Maybe
      someone heard me mention this before. Good job Y!

      > *In Y! mail beta chat, all contacts with Y! addresses who are online
      are show, rather than only those on the messenger list (this is an
      excellent setup). Because this is how it works, the checkbox in the
      quick add contact dialog to "add to messenger list" is unnecessary and
      should be removed.

      > *This is a little hard to explain, but if you use rich text in Y!
      mail beta, you probably notice it. When composing, clicking on B,I,
      or U enables the formatting and highlights the B,I, or U. This is
      good to have your formatting shown. The problem is if I'm typing in
      bold and click on text that is not in bold, the B remains highlighted.
      Now if I click the B it will turn bold on but the B will not be
      highlighted. Once this glitch is fixed keyboard shortcuts
      (ctrl+B,I,U) should activate the correct highlighting as well. When
      completed this formatting should work like that of Gmial or Word.

      > *In Y! mail beta, the integrated pop-ups look nice, but when dragged
      flicker all over the place (at least in Fx). This may be hard to do
      but this should be fixed

      > A couple not so minor requests:
      >
      > *Y! mail beta could use a good easy way to view ALL messages, like
      in Gmail. This could be done without taking up any valuable screen
      space by making "my folders" show all messages when clicked on. With
      this in place, it would also be easy to view all flagged messages,
      just view all messages and sort by flag.

      > *Right now, I'm writing a fairly long message so I'm saving a draft.
      Yahoo! mail beta does very easily, as I can at any time save and I am
      not taken to a different page, but left to write my message. The one
      problem is, once I send this I will no longer want the draft as I will
      have an up to date copy in my "sent" folder. After I send I must go
      to the drafts folder and delete the draft whenever I save drafts.
      What would easily simplify the process would be if Y! mail beta gave a
      link on the "Message Sent" tab to delete message draft if you have
      save sent mail turned on. It could also be set to automatically
      delete drafts on message send. I would save drafts far more if there
      wasn't the hassle of finding them and getting rid of them.

      > *Y! mail beta integrated chat is awesome, but there's one big thing
      it's missing. Chat archive. I know there is the convert to Email
      send to yourself workaround for now, but this is a very helpful tool
      that should be added to the product. This feature has been
      implemented by other online services, like Gmail and meebo. One
      question here is where to put the chat archive. One option that
      wouldn't take up screen space would be to add a link to it next to
      "add contact" in the online contacts drop-down menu. This could open
      a tab for chat archive, which could be organized like contacts -
      vertical pane to select contact and message on the right. Also, with
      a chat archive in place, the extremely helpful "show recent messages"
      link shown in Y! desktop messenger IM windows could be added.

    • James
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 10, 2007
        I think it does the inbox always in free accounts and the current
        message folder in plus/AT&T accounts, so by my hypothesis you have a
        plus (or AT&T) account. Either way it's annoying and it would be nice
        if it just left you be (in RSS, compose tab, home tab, message tab,
        etc) as it checked mail in the background.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Michael Taylor-Judd <mickymse.geo@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm in IE at the moment, and it doesn't switch to my Inbox, but it
        DOES pull me out of the tab I'm reading and switch over to the message
        list (in my cae, it's a folder for all Y-Mail messages).

        > That is rather annoying...
        >
        > Peace, Love, and Mickey,
        >
        > Michael 8-)
        >
        > "My advice to you is simple. If you are dismayed by current
        policies, work to change them. Write letters, appear before
        governmental bodies, contact legislators. If you are unhappy with
        incumbent officeholders, work and vote to turn them out. Run for office."