Re: [Y-Mail] How much longer?

  • Brent
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 3, 2007
      I would think that Yahoo Beta may never be out of beta. Gmail has been beta
      since the start and they just keep making changes.Yahoo will most likely do
      the same thing.

      Brent

      On 3/3/07, David Paul Dean <davidpdean@...> wrote:

      > It seems like Yahoo Mail Beta has been out testing and upgrading for
      > quite a while. When will it become the main Yahoo webmail and/or lose
      > the 'Beta'?

    • James
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2007
        I think Y! mail beta will eventually be out of beta, it will just take
        time. For Y! mail beta to come out of beta, it will need enhanced
        speed and stability. It will need to no longer say "_____ coming
        soon" when using certain features, and full settings controls in the
        options page. It will also likely gain a full calendar and possibly
        notepad that share the new interface and looks. Not to mention any
        more new features Y! tosses in.

        Gmail does seem to remain in perpetual beta, this is likely due to the
        occasional data loss and blocked mail access. Gmail does have
        occasional updates, but not as frequently as Yahoo! mail beta. Gmail
        seems mostly finished by now.

        There really isn't any reason to be anxious for Y! mail beta to come
        out of beta. The longer it stays in the beta process, the more
        polished, feature filled app we'll relieve. They do say Y! mail will
        be constantly upgraded, but after the beta is released I doubt there
        will be updates at anything near the current frequency. Yahoo! mail
        beta is open to the public (although a while back someone reported
        their farm was blocked out of the beta, I hope that was taken care of
        if it was a Y! glitch), so there's no reason to want it hurried out of
        beta.

        A seperate issue is what will happen to the current Y! mail classic
        when/if Y! mail beta comes out of beta. I do not think Y! mail
        classic will be permanently removed, at least not for a very long
        time. There are many issues with making Y! mail beta the only option
        (browser incompatibilities, slow on dialup, doesn't work with text
        readers, etc). Maybe once Y! mail beta comes out of beta, they will
        make a simple HTML version (kinda like Gmail's) to replace Y! mail
        classic.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Brent <flapdoodle@...> wrote:

        > I would think that Yahoo Beta may never be out of beta. Gmail has
        been beta
        > since the start and they just keep making changes.Yahoo will most
        likely do
        > the same thing.
        >
        > Brent
        >

        > On 3/3/07, David Paul Dean <davidpdean@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > It seems like Yahoo Mail Beta has been out testing and upgrading for
        > > quite a while. When will it become the main Yahoo webmail and/or lose
        > > the 'Beta'?

      • Sasafrass
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3, 2007
          I agree, it'll just take a while. Although Gmail is still beta, at least
          it's now open to the public so that anyone can sign up. The Y Mail
          classic interface will remain available, so you don't have to worry
          about that ;) I do wonder how long it'll take for the options page to be
          finished, & for the calendar to be updated for the beta interface, but
          as you said the longer it takes, the more stable it'll become.

          http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
          IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)