Spam increasing

  • Donna Perry
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
      I have begun using my Gmail account more than my Yahoo Mail account
      more frequently, as I am receiving a LOT more spam in my Yahoo account
      that is not being screened out (over a period of the past 6 months).
      Even when there are words like "penis" in the subject line! Is this
      something that is being actively worked on, or should I stop wasting
      my money on Yahoo Mail Plus, and just switch over to Gmail permanently?
    • Donna
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3, 2007
        You will get these even with a Gmail account. I know for I have four!

        Donna
        Tulsa,OK

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Donna Perry" <perrymom2001@...> wrote:

        > I have begun using my Gmail account more than my Yahoo Mail account
        > more frequently, as I am receiving a LOT more spam in my Yahoo account
        > that is not being screened out (over a period of the past 6 months).
        > Even when there are words like "penis" in the subject line! Is this
        > something that is being actively worked on, or should I stop wasting
        > my money on Yahoo Mail Plus, and just switch over to Gmail
        permanently?

      • Sasafrass
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2007
          Spam is impossible to beat if you receive legit email from unknown
          addresses! Thank goodness that isn't the case for me since I set
          Thunderbird to delete ALL spam, much of which is sent to
          Y-Mail-owner@yahoogroups.com The spammers think they're smart by doing
          that, but their messages will NEVER reach my inbox *evil laugh*

          http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
          IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)

          Donna wrote:
          > You will get these even with a Gmail account. I know for I have four!
          >
          > Donna
          > Tulsa,OK
          >
          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Donna Perry" <perrymom2001@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I have begun using my Gmail account more than my Yahoo Mail account
          >> more frequently, as I am receiving a LOT more spam in my Yahoo account
          >> that is not being screened out (over a period of the past 6 months).
          >> Even when there are words like "penis" in the subject line! Is this
          >> something that is being actively worked on, or should I stop wasting
          >> my money on Yahoo Mail Plus, and just switch over to Gmail
          >>
          > permanently?
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Donna
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
            Spam does not reach my hard drive either they stay on the web based
            servers for me to delete. I do not have my option to delete because
            for some odd reason I still get legit mail sent to my junk
            folder. ???

            I notice that consumers with SBC Global get there email sent to a
            spam folder and if the word SPAM is in the subject line it gets sent
            to my SPAM folder in my ISP email. So I have to look for those.

            I deal with spam but at least I can keep them OFF my hard drive. :))

            Donna

            > Spam is impossible to beat if you receive legit email from unknown
            > addresses! Thank goodness that isn't the case for me since I set
            > Thunderbird to delete ALL spam, much of which is sent to
            > Y-Mail-owner@yahoogroups.com The spammers think they're smart by
            doing
            > that, but their messages will NEVER reach my inbox *evil laugh*
            >
            > http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
            > http://www.geocities.com/sasafrass452/darkangel.html
            > IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)

          • Sasafrass
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
              The best part about Thunderbird is that it can delete anything that's
              not from someone in my addressbook. That's why spam will NEVER reach my
              inbox ;)

              Donna wrote:
              > Spam does not reach my hard drive either they stay on the web based
              > servers for me to delete. I do not have my option to delete because
              > for some odd reason I still get legit mail sent to my junk
              > folder. ???
              >
              > I notice that consumers with SBC Global get there email sent to a
              > spam folder and if the word SPAM is in the subject line it gets sent
              > to my SPAM folder in my ISP email. So I have to look for those.
              >
              > I deal with spam but at least I can keep them OFF my hard drive. :))
              >
              > Donna
              >
              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Spam is impossible to beat if you receive legit email from unknown
              >> addresses! Thank goodness that isn't the case for me since I set
              >> Thunderbird to delete ALL spam, much of which is sent to
              >> Y-Mail-owner@yahoogroups.com The spammers think they're smart by
              >>
              > doing
              >
              >> that, but their messages will NEVER reach my inbox *evil laugh*
              >>
              >> http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
              >> http://www.geocities.com/sasafrass452/darkangel.html
              >> IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)
              >>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • y_mil
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Donna Perry" <perrymom2001@...> wrote:

                > I have begun using my Gmail account more than my Yahoo Mail account
                > more frequently, as I am receiving a LOT more spam in my Yahoo account
                > that is not being screened out (over a period of the past 6 months).
                > Even when there are words like "penis" in the subject line! Is this
                > something that is being actively worked on, or should I stop wasting
                > my money on Yahoo Mail Plus, and just switch over to Gmail
                permanently?

                No1 could spam you unless you exposed your Y!mail address to some
                websites,and,your email address could be easily scratched by some spam
                mail robots:-)
              • Brent
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
                  I set up a hotmail account so I could look at the features. I have not used
                  it for anything. It has spam in it so someone got the address some way. I
                  set up a second gmail account that I have not used but it is full of spam. I
                  do not know how spamers find these accounts but they do.

                  Brent

                  On 2/4/07, y_mil <y_mil@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com <Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>, "Donna Perry"
                  > <perrymom2001@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have begun using my Gmail account more than my Yahoo Mail account
                  > > more frequently, as I am receiving a LOT more spam in my Yahoo account
                  > > that is not being screened out (over a period of the past 6 months).
                  > > Even when there are words like "penis" in the subject line! Is this
                  > > something that is being actively worked on, or should I stop wasting
                  > > my money on Yahoo Mail Plus, and just switch over to Gmail
                  > permanently?
                  > >
                  > No1 could spam you unless you exposed your Y!mail address to some
                  > websites,and,your email address could be easily scratched by some spam
                  > mail robots:-)

                • too_much green_tea
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
                    And I've noticed that after the underwater fiber severed in Asia, spams dropped quite a bit, but now they are back with vengeance.

                    Not that spams are originated in Asia ... I guess lots of spammers must be finding it easier to hide their identities routing through computers in Asia than other places.

                    Come and visit my 360°
                    http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

                    On 2/4/07, y_mil <y_mil@...> wrote:

                    > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com <Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>, "Donna Perry"
                    > <perrymom2001@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have begun using my Gmail account more than my Yahoo Mail account
                    > > more frequently, as I am receiving a LOT more spam in my Yahoo account
                    > > that is not being screened out (over a period of the past 6 months).
                    > > Even when there are words like "penis" in the subject line! Is this
                    > > something that is being actively worked on, or should I stop wasting
                    > > my money on Yahoo Mail Plus, and just switch over to Gmail
                    > permanently?
                    > >
                    > No1 could spam you unless you exposed your Y!mail address to some
                    > websites,and,your email address could be easily scratched by some spam
                    > mail robots:-)

                    Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                  • Gordon Stewart
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
                      On 2/5/07, too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:
                      > And I've noticed that after the underwater fiber severed in Asia, spams dropped quite a bit, but now they are back with vengeance.
                      >
                      > Not that spams are originated in Asia ... I guess lots of spammers must be finding it easier to hide their identities routing through computers in Asia than other places.

                      Is there a Yahoo staff member on here ?
                      A few months ago, I sent a solution to Spam - to another group..

                      Basically, if its implemented by 20 (or more) "big" ISPs around the
                      world - then spam will drop by 95% or more......

                      Although, Im not an I.T, person (in charge of email servers) - so if I
                      implement it, it wont affect much....

                      NZ community groups - community@...
                      Freecycle Auckland :-
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007

                        Don't get me wrong ... domainkeys are great, but they can only solve a very small part of the problem. I'd imagine that it can't do much about botnets without hammering legit users.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
                          On 2/5/07, too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

                          Yep - i posted it there a while ago...(though ive not logged in yet
                          today to check if that message is mine)

                          > Don't get me wrong ... domainkeys are great, but they can only solve a very small part of the problem. I'd imagine that it can't do much about botnets without hammering legit users.

                          Most of the problem, seems to be with spam "pretending" to be from
                          other ISP's / domains.

                          With domainkeys - It blocks out that problem... as any email that
                          appears to be from another domaiun, wont have the correct matching
                          domainkey/codes - & therefore blocked.

                          So the only spam left - will be from those that LOOK to be from the
                          same domain theyre ACTUALLY posted from...(from the non-PC expert
                          perspective)

                          So - once identified - The spammers (or infected computer) can be fixed...
                          - in theory - Spam will drop to 1% or less - than currently..

                          (anyway, I think its a great system - I'll shut up now :) )

                          NZ community groups - community@...
                          Freecycle Auckland :-
                        • ilgaz_public
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 5, 2007
                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@...> wrote:

                            > On 2/5/07, too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:
                            spam/message/2903

                            > Yep - i posted it there a while ago...(though ive not logged in yet
                            > today to check if that message is mine)
                            >
                            > > Don't get me wrong ... domainkeys are great, but they can only solve a very small part
                            of the problem. I'd imagine that it can't do much about botnets without hammering legit
                            users.

                            > Most of the problem, seems to be with spam "pretending" to be from
                            > other ISP's / domains.
                            >
                            > With domainkeys - It blocks out that problem... as any email that
                            > appears to be from another domaiun, wont have the correct matching
                            > domainkey/codes - & therefore blocked.
                            >
                            > So the only spam left - will be from those that LOOK to be from the
                            > same domain theyre ACTUALLY posted from...(from the non-PC expert
                            > perspective)
                            >
                            > So - once identified - The spammers (or infected computer) can be fixed...
                            > - in theory - Spam will drop to 1% or less - than currently..
                            >
                            > (anyway, I think its a great system - I'll shut up now :) )
                            >

                            > --

                            Well right now, it seems to be a very funny error on Yahoo's part.

                            Checking the obvious, non hi-tech (e.g. html gfx) Spamcop.net reports I sent, I have seen
                            an horrible mistake on their part.

                            Here is a Polish IP, checked at Senderbase.org, it is a dynamic IP and listed at NJAbl
                            http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1215056392z4c68627d067714f7c279ab427cbf7830z
                            http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchString=82.160.229.144 --> Check the 3.8
                            magnitude, horrible

                            There is also another mail in my Inbox, its report is at:
                            http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1215054749z3e151bd492978ac49c74f4fe86a9e268z
                            If you check Senderbase.org, it is _again_ a Dynamic IP
                            http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchString=41.244.210.113

                            Notice that these spams are actual Scam operations run by Mafia type people. It is the most
                            serious Spam/Scam you can possibly get. There are even murder stories attached to these
                            famous "Nigerian" operations.

                            There was a "domain keys verified" mail today in my Inbox too, it is the same pattern I
                            mailed a while ago, XXX rated, tells user to remove space before the dot.

                            If Yahoo does allow dynamic IPs, e.g. home machines sending mail to their SMTP server
                            directly, whatever "domainkeys" they run, it won't help.

                            Currently, a Dynamic IP is just a soldier in huge spam armies they run via botnets. There
                            won't be anything good coming from a regular home machine.

                            Ilgaz
                          • Sasafrass
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 5, 2007
                              Yes, there are 3 :) Ryan, Michelle, & Anirban.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 5, 2007
                                I too have a hotmail/MSN email. I think that most hotmail and MSN
                                accounts (I have both.) allow Spam but they do send it to your junk
                                folder if you do not have the address in your address book. I have
                                mine set up that way.

                                MSN believes in free speech and anything is fair game. I saw that
                                some where I do not remember where.

                                Now as far as the account getting out any web based email can be
                                hacked into and that is how your email account gets out. There are
                                some really good (and evil) hackers out there. Sometimes it just
                                happens. There people will start typing anything with the base user
                                name such as okiebelle. If one gets through then they keep that email
                                to share and use it again. I know because I had gotten one with many
                                varity's of okiebelle.

                                I have just learned to deal with it for if you have an email - spam
                                is a part of it.

                                Donna

                                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Brent <flapdoodle@...> wrote:

                                > I set up a hotmail account so I could look at the features. I have
                                not used
                                > it for anything. It has spam in it so someone got the address some
                                way. I
                                > set up a second gmail account that I have not used but it is full
                                of spam. I
                                > do not know how spamers find these accounts but they do.
                                >
                                > Brent

                              • too_much green_tea
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 5, 2007
                                  --- Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...> wrote:

                                  > Yes, there are 3 :) Ryan, Michelle, & Anirban.

                                  ... who (Or "whom"? Hmmm ... a little help?) have made
                                  their presence known :)

                                  http://new.mail.yahoo.com