Re: [Y-Mail] Long time since version 0.5.0

  • Ryan Kennedy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2007
      Sorry it took me a while to respond to this. I actually started a response shortly after I received it, but I wanted to make sure I took my time responding to it. I think there are some good questions/points here.

      > It's been a long time since version 0.5.0 was introduced to some farms.

      Maybe your farm...however, we've been rolling it out to the hundreds of other farms for a little while now. That's easily evidenced by the email sent by James today indicating that he had just been upgraded to 0.5.0.

      It's only been about a month and a half since we rolled 0.5.0 to our first farms (including farm 308). We let it "bake" on those farms for a little while before giving the all clear to start pushing it to the rest of the system. During that time we've been working on the next release. So it's not like we're sitting on our hands, doing nothing.

      > As I keep saying, the development of Yahoo Mail is really slow.

      What are you comparing us to when you say we're slow? I've actually been pretty happy with the frequency of releases on our end.

      > The options menu and the move and the view buttons are almost
      > forgotten...

      They're not forgotten. We're like elephants, we never forget. ;)

      > And the error messages ?? And the speed improvements ??

      Speed improvements are being worked on. We released some in the 0.5.0 build. We have a lot more coming. That's actually be one thing I've been heavily focused on since the last release. We've been having weekly meetings involving the frontend team and the backend team where we discuss our findings and start tackling things. So far, I think it's been very successful. This current release that we're working on has definitely had more time spent focusing on the speed than any other release.

      As for error messages, what are you looking for? Less of them? More descriptive error messages?

      > Not to mention the innumerous different builds running in the farms !

      We have thousands of machines running Yahoo! Mail. There's little we can do about this. We roll the software out over time to make sure everything appears to be functioning well before moving onto the next set of machines. If you think the software running on the farms varies, you should see the hardware (imagine a system built over a span of 10 years, the hardware is going to vary considerably). There's other business reasons why some farms run different versions of the software as well, mostly having to do with the account types hosted on those farms.

      > Well, the point is: the new Yahoo Mail is really far from being
      > concluded. Don't you agree ?

      Well...it's a web application. I don't believe web applications are ever concluded. That's the beauty of the web, constant updates. If you buy a box of software, you might get updates from the manufacturer. If you use a web application, as long as the company doesn't go out of business, you're almost assured constant updates. And guess what, on the web you (usually) don't even have to pay for the next version. ;)

      If you meant that we have some incomplete features, I also agree. Mail options clearly isn't done yet (you can't configure things like filters or external accounts without going back to Classic). Those things are all being worked on, even if it isn't readily aparent yet.

      Ryan Kennedy
      Yahoo! Mail
    • marciobenisti
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
        Ryan, you message was really interesting. Now it's easier to
        understand the development of the new yahoo mail.

        Actually, I think the beta is pretty cool and I use it all the time.
        I'm a paid costumer on farm 308. But as everybody, I can't wait to
        see the product ready, with all the basic features working quite
        well...

        Att,
        Marcio