Re: A Note To All

  • Regunathan Umapathy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
      Hi,
      If you send and receive from Yahoo! mail then Yahoo! domain keys will
      verify that you have received from legitimate Yahoo! user. It's always
      better to go for an open discussion instead of IM as some one can re use
      the discussion instead of reinventing the wheel. You could easily read
      the mail on the web instead of delivering directly to your mail box.
      These days spammers are using more and more picture messages than the
      text messages. If you are using Yahoo! mail when you receive a mail you
      could see the whole header from where you can see which IP address it
      was originated from by going through
      http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

      Common let's look this example there are always road accidents will this
      stopped driving/riding in the road?. There is always be some problem
      but I hope will not stop your endeavor. These days spammers send picture
      messages to get rid to spam filter. But still I feel Yahoo! is doing
      better spam control than my office one where I get 10-20 unwanted
      messages not categorized as spam. But I still feel Yahoo! should improve
      spam control especially the picture messages using an OCR (Optical
      Character Recognition) software to make sure that doen't contain text
      but really a picture.

      There are advantages too in the IM that allows face to face discussion
      that I don't deny. I am one of the Administrators in Tamil Wikipedia the
      free encyclopedia. I hope Yahoo! can make use of Media Wiki software to
      provide wiki solutions where users can provide solutions.

      Regards
      R.Umapathy

      > First of all, I turned off the moderator notification emails(for my
      > account) because people are/were spamming me via the
      > Y-Mail-owner@yahoogroups.com address, & allowing messages from that
      > address permitted the spam to reach my inbox. I simply visit the
      website
      > to check for pending messages. Also, I have a message filter set up to
      > accept group messages by subject(using the group name), so those
      > messages reach my inbox as they should. I don't receive personal
      emails
      > from group members very often(almost never), so there isn't much point
      > in checking the trash folder when 99.9% of the emails being deleted
      are
      > spam. However, I suppose that anyone contacting me could include
      > [Y-Mail] in the subject line. The message would reach me that way. My
      IM
      > is open to all, so I felt that was the best option.
      >

      > http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
      > http://www.geocities.com/sasafrass452/darkangel.html
      > IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)
      >

      > Kenneth wrote:
      > >
      > > That sort of option for controlling spam has always seemed very
      > > extreme to me. There are bound to be people that need to contact
      > > you who either don't IM people or assume that they're in your
      > > address book already or who don't even know of your decision.
      > >
      > > As a group moderator, I don't know how you're going to handle
      > > moderator notification messages or emails sent to the owner
      > > address. There's no way to receive those messages by IM.
      > >
      > > I assume you'll be reading the group's messages at the website.
      > >
      > > Kenneth
      > >
      > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > Sasafrass <sasafrass452@ ...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just wanted to let everyone know that if you need to contact me
      > > > personally, please IM me. I've decided to auto-delete messages
      > > from my
      > > > trash folder(in Thunderbird) , which means I won't see your email
      > > if you
      > > > send me one because I'm only accepting messages from people in my
      > > > address book. Adding hundreds of addresses is a rather daunting
      > > > task..... If you IM me, be sure to indicate that you're from this
      > > group
      > > > so I know who you are.
      > > >
      > > > Best wishes for '07!
      > > > --

    • Sasafrass
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
        Well, I use Thunderbird so your suggestions don't apply to me. My
        message filters delete 100% of the spam, so I don't have any problems
        with that.