Re: A Note To All

  • Kenneth
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
      That sort of option for controlling spam has always seemed very
      extreme to me. There are bound to be people that need to contact
      you who either don't IM people or assume that they're in your
      address book already or who don't even know of your decision.

      As a group moderator, I don't know how you're going to handle
      moderator notification messages or emails sent to the owner
      address. There's no way to receive those messages by IM.

      I assume you'll be reading the group's messages at the website.

      Kenneth

      > Just wanted to let everyone know that if you need to contact me
      > personally, please IM me. I've decided to auto-delete messages
      from my
      > trash folder(in Thunderbird), which means I won't see your email
      if you
      > send me one because I'm only accepting messages from people in my
      > address book. Adding hundreds of addresses is a rather daunting
      > task..... If you IM me, be sure to indicate that you're from this
      group
      > so I know who you are.
      >
      > Best wishes for '07!
      > --

    • Sasafrass
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
        First of all, I turned off the moderator notification emails(for my
        account) because people are/were spamming me via the
        Y-Mail-owner@yahoogroups.com address, & allowing messages from that
        address permitted the spam to reach my inbox. I simply visit the website
        to check for pending messages. Also, I have a message filter set up to
        accept group messages by subject(using the group name), so those
        messages reach my inbox as they should. I don't receive personal emails
        from group members very often(almost never), so there isn't much point
        in checking the trash folder when 99.9% of the emails being deleted are
        spam. However, I suppose that anyone contacting me could include
        [Y-Mail] in the subject line. The message would reach me that way. My IM
        is open to all, so I felt that was the best option.

        http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
        IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)

        Kenneth wrote:

        > That sort of option for controlling spam has always seemed very
        > extreme to me. There are bound to be people that need to contact
        > you who either don't IM people or assume that they're in your
        > address book already or who don't even know of your decision.
        >
        > As a group moderator, I don't know how you're going to handle
        > moderator notification messages or emails sent to the owner
        > address. There's no way to receive those messages by IM.
        >
        > I assume you'll be reading the group's messages at the website.
        >
        > Kenneth
        >
        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > Sasafrass <sasafrass452@ ...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Just wanted to let everyone know that if you need to contact me
        > > personally, please IM me. I've decided to auto-delete messages
        > from my
        > > trash folder(in Thunderbird) , which means I won't see your email
        > if you
        > > send me one because I'm only accepting messages from people in my
        > > address book. Adding hundreds of addresses is a rather daunting
        > > task..... If you IM me, be sure to indicate that you're from this
        > group
        > > so I know who you are.
        > >
        > > Best wishes for '07!
        > > --

      • Regunathan Umapathy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
          Hi,
          If you send and receive from Yahoo! mail then Yahoo! domain keys will
          verify that you have received from legitimate Yahoo! user. It's always
          better to go for an open discussion instead of IM as some one can re use
          the discussion instead of reinventing the wheel. You could easily read
          the mail on the web instead of delivering directly to your mail box.
          These days spammers are using more and more picture messages than the
          text messages. If you are using Yahoo! mail when you receive a mail you
          could see the whole header from where you can see which IP address it
          was originated from by going through
          http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

          Common let's look this example there are always road accidents will this
          stopped driving/riding in the road?. There is always be some problem
          but I hope will not stop your endeavor. These days spammers send picture
          messages to get rid to spam filter. But still I feel Yahoo! is doing
          better spam control than my office one where I get 10-20 unwanted
          messages not categorized as spam. But I still feel Yahoo! should improve
          spam control especially the picture messages using an OCR (Optical
          Character Recognition) software to make sure that doen't contain text
          but really a picture.

          There are advantages too in the IM that allows face to face discussion
          that I don't deny. I am one of the Administrators in Tamil Wikipedia the
          free encyclopedia. I hope Yahoo! can make use of Media Wiki software to
          provide wiki solutions where users can provide solutions.

          Regards
          R.Umapathy

          > First of all, I turned off the moderator notification emails(for my
          > account) because people are/were spamming me via the
          > Y-Mail-owner@yahoogroups.com address, & allowing messages from that
          > address permitted the spam to reach my inbox. I simply visit the
          website
          > to check for pending messages. Also, I have a message filter set up to
          > accept group messages by subject(using the group name), so those
          > messages reach my inbox as they should. I don't receive personal
          emails
          > from group members very often(almost never), so there isn't much point
          > in checking the trash folder when 99.9% of the emails being deleted
          are
          > spam. However, I suppose that anyone contacting me could include
          > [Y-Mail] in the subject line. The message would reach me that way. My
          IM
          > is open to all, so I felt that was the best option.
          >

          > http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
          > http://www.geocities.com/sasafrass452/darkangel.html
          > IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)
          >

          > Kenneth wrote:
          > >
          > > That sort of option for controlling spam has always seemed very
          > > extreme to me. There are bound to be people that need to contact
          > > you who either don't IM people or assume that they're in your
          > > address book already or who don't even know of your decision.
          > >
          > > As a group moderator, I don't know how you're going to handle
          > > moderator notification messages or emails sent to the owner
          > > address. There's no way to receive those messages by IM.
          > >
          > > I assume you'll be reading the group's messages at the website.
          > >
          > > Kenneth
          > >
          > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > Sasafrass <sasafrass452@ ...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Just wanted to let everyone know that if you need to contact me
          > > > personally, please IM me. I've decided to auto-delete messages
          > > from my
          > > > trash folder(in Thunderbird) , which means I won't see your email
          > > if you
          > > > send me one because I'm only accepting messages from people in my
          > > > address book. Adding hundreds of addresses is a rather daunting
          > > > task..... If you IM me, be sure to indicate that you're from this
          > > group
          > > > so I know who you are.
          > > >
          > > > Best wishes for '07!
          > > > --

        • Sasafrass
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
            Well, I use Thunderbird so your suggestions don't apply to me. My
            message filters delete 100% of the spam, so I don't have any problems
            with that.