A Note To All

  • Sasafrass
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
      Just wanted to let everyone know that if you need to contact me
      personally, please IM me. I've decided to auto-delete messages from my
      trash folder(in Thunderbird), which means I won't see your email if you
      send me one because I'm only accepting messages from people in my
      address book. Adding hundreds of addresses is a rather daunting
      task..... If you IM me, be sure to indicate that you're from this group
      so I know who you are.

      Best wishes for '07!
      --

      http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
      IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)

    • Kenneth
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
        That sort of option for controlling spam has always seemed very
        extreme to me. There are bound to be people that need to contact
        you who either don't IM people or assume that they're in your
        address book already or who don't even know of your decision.

        As a group moderator, I don't know how you're going to handle
        moderator notification messages or emails sent to the owner
        address. There's no way to receive those messages by IM.

        I assume you'll be reading the group's messages at the website.

        Kenneth

        > Just wanted to let everyone know that if you need to contact me
        > personally, please IM me. I've decided to auto-delete messages
        from my
        > trash folder(in Thunderbird), which means I won't see your email
        if you
        > send me one because I'm only accepting messages from people in my
        > address book. Adding hundreds of addresses is a rather daunting
        > task..... If you IM me, be sure to indicate that you're from this
        group
        > so I know who you are.
        >
        > Best wishes for '07!
        > --

      • Sasafrass
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
          First of all, I turned off the moderator notification emails(for my
          account) because people are/were spamming me via the
          Y-Mail-owner@yahoogroups.com address, & allowing messages from that
          address permitted the spam to reach my inbox. I simply visit the website
          to check for pending messages. Also, I have a message filter set up to
          accept group messages by subject(using the group name), so those
          messages reach my inbox as they should. I don't receive personal emails
          from group members very often(almost never), so there isn't much point
          in checking the trash folder when 99.9% of the emails being deleted are
          spam. However, I suppose that anyone contacting me could include
          [Y-Mail] in the subject line. The message would reach me that way. My IM
          is open to all, so I felt that was the best option.

          Kenneth wrote:

          > That sort of option for controlling spam has always seemed very
          > extreme to me. There are bound to be people that need to contact
          > you who either don't IM people or assume that they're in your
          > address book already or who don't even know of your decision.
          >
          > As a group moderator, I don't know how you're going to handle
          > moderator notification messages or emails sent to the owner
          > address. There's no way to receive those messages by IM.
          >
          > I assume you'll be reading the group's messages at the website.
          >
          > Kenneth
          >
          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Sasafrass <sasafrass452@ ...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Just wanted to let everyone know that if you need to contact me
          > > personally, please IM me. I've decided to auto-delete messages
          > from my
          > > trash folder(in Thunderbird) , which means I won't see your email
          > if you
          > > send me one because I'm only accepting messages from people in my
          > > address book. Adding hundreds of addresses is a rather daunting
          > > task..... If you IM me, be sure to indicate that you're from this
          > group
          > > so I know who you are.
          > >
          > > Best wishes for '07!
          > > --

        • Regunathan Umapathy
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
            Hi,
            If you send and receive from Yahoo! mail then Yahoo! domain keys will
            verify that you have received from legitimate Yahoo! user. It's always
            better to go for an open discussion instead of IM as some one can re use
            the discussion instead of reinventing the wheel. You could easily read
            the mail on the web instead of delivering directly to your mail box.
            These days spammers are using more and more picture messages than the
            text messages. If you are using Yahoo! mail when you receive a mail you
            could see the whole header from where you can see which IP address it
            was originated from by going through
            http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

            Common let's look this example there are always road accidents will this
            stopped driving/riding in the road?. There is always be some problem
            but I hope will not stop your endeavor. These days spammers send picture
            messages to get rid to spam filter. But still I feel Yahoo! is doing
            better spam control than my office one where I get 10-20 unwanted
            messages not categorized as spam. But I still feel Yahoo! should improve
            spam control especially the picture messages using an OCR (Optical
            Character Recognition) software to make sure that doen't contain text
            but really a picture.

            There are advantages too in the IM that allows face to face discussion
            that I don't deny. I am one of the Administrators in Tamil Wikipedia the
            free encyclopedia. I hope Yahoo! can make use of Media Wiki software to
            provide wiki solutions where users can provide solutions.

            Regards
            R.Umapathy

            > First of all, I turned off the moderator notification emails(for my
            > account) because people are/were spamming me via the
            > Y-Mail-owner@yahoogroups.com address, & allowing messages from that
            > address permitted the spam to reach my inbox. I simply visit the
            website
            > to check for pending messages. Also, I have a message filter set up to
            > accept group messages by subject(using the group name), so those
            > messages reach my inbox as they should. I don't receive personal
            emails
            > from group members very often(almost never), so there isn't much point
            > in checking the trash folder when 99.9% of the emails being deleted
            are
            > spam. However, I suppose that anyone contacting me could include
            > [Y-Mail] in the subject line. The message would reach me that way. My
            IM
            > is open to all, so I felt that was the best option.
            >

            > http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
            > http://www.geocities.com/sasafrass452/darkangel.html
            > IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)
            >

            > Kenneth wrote:
            > >
            > > That sort of option for controlling spam has always seemed very
            > > extreme to me. There are bound to be people that need to contact
            > > you who either don't IM people or assume that they're in your
            > > address book already or who don't even know of your decision.
            > >
            > > As a group moderator, I don't know how you're going to handle
            > > moderator notification messages or emails sent to the owner
            > > address. There's no way to receive those messages by IM.
            > >
            > > I assume you'll be reading the group's messages at the website.
            > >
            > > Kenneth
            > >
            > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > Sasafrass <sasafrass452@ ...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Just wanted to let everyone know that if you need to contact me
            > > > personally, please IM me. I've decided to auto-delete messages
            > > from my
            > > > trash folder(in Thunderbird) , which means I won't see your email
            > > if you
            > > > send me one because I'm only accepting messages from people in my
            > > > address book. Adding hundreds of addresses is a rather daunting
            > > > task..... If you IM me, be sure to indicate that you're from this
            > > group
            > > > so I know who you are.
            > > >
            > > > Best wishes for '07!
            > > > --

          • Sasafrass
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
              Well, I use Thunderbird so your suggestions don't apply to me. My
              message filters delete 100% of the spam, so I don't have any problems
              with that.