Deleting Big Chunks of Mail

  • Lisa Harrigan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2006
      As you can tell from the e-mail addy, I have an account just for Yahoo
      Groups. Novel idea, but it keeps the riff raff out of my regular mail.
      And I belong to 30+ groups, so that's a LOT of mail.
      I technically POP3 the mail and read it off of Thunderbird. But the POP3
      doesn't always delete the older mail (it's supposed to delete anything
      older than 30 days, but life isn't perfect).
      So, Periodically I go into the account and delete a bunch of old stuff I
      already know I've downloaded into Thunderbird, just to clean out the system.
      We're talking 1000s of messages here. I sort by date, click on the first
      message, push down to the last message of the date I want to get rid of
      (usually about 2-3 weeks ago), and shift-click. They all get marked, and
      then I push the Delete button. And get the error message to the effect,
      Messages are loading, scroll through the mess and wait until they are
      all loaded. We're talking 2-3000 messages here. This takes forever.
      Could you make it quicker? In other words, do I gotta load all those
      messages just to delete them?
      Yeah, it takes even longer in original Yahoo Mail, which is why I don't
      even try it there.

      Thanks
      Lisa