Re:Spam filters

  • misterblue
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 3, 2006
      One problem I have with this 'training' is that it is invisible to me.
      What is it really doing? Is it adding the source to some black list?
      Is it training some word filter? Can I see what it is doing?

      I wish the spam filtering was more opaque. My solution would have tags
      on the emails (insert request for email tags). When Yahoo's external
      spam filter thought it was spam, it would add and "Y-ProbablySpam"
      tag. Then the SpamBlocker feature is just a default rule to move
      anything with that tag into BulkMail.

      This would also allow incremental additions (like if the sender was in
      your address book, "Y-InAddressBook" would be added) or creation of
      user white lists, ...

      If properly done, experts would have all of these fine grained
      controls to tweek and use while people who didn't want to fool with it
      would just turn on SpamBlocker and it would 'do the right thing'.

      Is there a discussion about Yahoo Mail design? I have some thoughts.

      -- MB

      What I would really like is --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J.
      \"Jay\" Bienvenu" <bienvenunet@...> wrote:

      > --- Richard Picard <rpicard2000@...> wrote:
      > > I'm not sure what is meant by "training" of the spam filter, ...
      >
      > You train the spam filter by using the Spam button to delete your
      spam rather
      > than the delete button. If it's working well for you then either
      it's great for
      > everyone or you trained it without knowing it. :)

    • Hank Anderson
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 3, 2006
        I use the Yahoo Mail web interface exclusively and have very few problems with spam for my Yahoo mail addresses. I also have Yahoo web mail set to check other non-Yahoo pop accounts as well. Unfortunately, the Yahoo spam filter doesn't seem to work with those addresses at all. That is the primary feature that I would like to see added to Yahoo Mail--spam filtering of all email addresses, not just Yahoo! addresses. (Unless, that is already offered and I am missing something!)

        Hank

      • ontokyotime
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 4, 2006
          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Goutam Nath <goutam_nath@...> wrote:

          > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

          Goutam, what are you thinking?

          He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see
          signature)... A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

          O.

        • Goutam Nath
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 4, 2006
            Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)

            Goutam

            > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

            Goutam, what are you thinking?

            He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see
            signature)... A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

            O.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • too_much green_tea
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
              C'mon, people ... that's enough ...

              I think everybody would agree Yahoo's spam filter still need works, but a public filter rarely fulfills the needs of every individuals. It can get rid of the massive spams with identifiable trace, but some WILL sneak through - eventually.

              A personalized set of filters on top of a public set will almost always give better results, may it be TB, OE, or any other mail programs. The question comes down to how high the risk it would be to have something executed while spams are being scanned, and you'd have to admit TB is one of the better ones out there, available for free, and almost available on all platforms.

              The bottom line? Maybe TB isn't about to solve all the world's problem, but at least Sasafrass isn't urging the uninitiated to use OE - like a lot of ISPs are still doing these days.

              P.S. I wish Yahoo would have more filters for free accounts, but then lots of others have said the same for a long time, and we still have only 15 today.

              Come and visit my 360°

              http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

              Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)

              Goutam

              > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

              Goutam, what are you thinking?

              He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see

              signature).. . A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

              O.

              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
            • Goutam Nath
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                Yes I agree, Yahoo needs to work on it's Spam Filter's.

                Receiving Spams in Inbox is frustrating, but finding legitimate e-mail in the spam folder hidden among the bunch of spams is infuriating and people whose accounts are set up to delete all spam will never see what they missed. The same applies if we fail to find the legitimate mail inside the Spam folder.

                So, we definitely need more custom filter's.

                - Goutam

                Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)

                Goutam

                > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

                Goutam, what are you thinking?

                He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see

                signature).. . A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

                O.

              • Sasafrass
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Well, I do recommend Firefox to people when I see them having a problem
                  with IE *wink*

                  Goutam Nath wrote:

                  > Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting
                  > firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)
                  >
                  > Goutam

                • Cindy Kee
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                    In order to use TB for spam filtering, do you have to download using POP3? This can't be done if we are using the web interface (beta), correct?

                    Cindy in NV

                  • Jim Wissick
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                      I have to agree. I think it doesn't do anything except make you feel
                      good when you push that button. THe lastest flood of "soandso
                      wrote:" spam and it not correcting messages marked safe in future
                      sends makes me think that.

                      JW.

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "misterblue" <misterblue@...> wrote:

                      > One problem I have with this 'training' is that it is invisible to
                      me.
                      > What is it really doing? Is it adding the source to some black list?
                      > Is it training some word filter? Can I see what it is doing?
                      >
                      > I wish the spam filtering was more opaque. My solution would have
                      tags
                      > on the emails (insert request for email tags). When Yahoo's external
                      > spam filter thought it was spam, it would add and "Y-ProbablySpam"
                      > tag. Then the SpamBlocker feature is just a default rule to move
                      > anything with that tag into BulkMail.
                      >
                      > This would also allow incremental additions (like if the sender was
                      in
                      > your address book, "Y-InAddressBook" would be added) or creation of
                      > user white lists, ...
                      >
                      > If properly done, experts would have all of these fine grained
                      > controls to tweek and use while people who didn't want to fool with
                      it
                      > would just turn on SpamBlocker and it would 'do the right thing'.
                      >
                      > Is there a discussion about Yahoo Mail design? I have some thoughts.
                      >
                      > -- MB

                    • Nancy J
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                        The spam filter is working great for me since they added the "not spam" feature. I receive hardly any spam in my inbox, and very little legit in the spam folder anymore.

                        I like it now.

                        My pet peeve is the fact that the attachement icon doesn't always show next to an email, making me more vulnerable to mistakenly opening up a nasty. And also the size of the frame when viewing details in a folder -- I canNOT see the right side of the screen with "size" of the email, and I can't change screen res, or I won't be able to read anything. How about that scrow bar, dudes and dudettes! :)!

                        L8!
                        Nancy J
                        Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

                        "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
                        India Arie

                        "Truth is anything I agree with"
                        www.cindyalexander.com

                        http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

                        Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)

                        Goutam

                        > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

                        Goutam, what are you thinking?

                        He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see

                        signature).. . A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

                        O.

                      • Michael Taylor-Judd
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 9, 2006
                          As someone who has multiple aliases pointed here, I would also love to see this feature implemented -- if it's possible.

                          After all, a selling point of Mail Plus is the ability to have multiple "from" addresses (presumably because you're pointing multiple accounts here), so what's the point if your Yahoo inbox just starts filling up from those accounts?

                          Michael 8-)

                          I use the Yahoo Mail web interface exclusively and have very few problems with spam for my Yahoo mail addresses. I also have Yahoo web mail set to check other non-Yahoo pop accounts as well. Unfortunately, the Yahoo spam filter doesn't seem to work with those addresses at all. That is the primary feature that I would like to see added to Yahoo Mail--spam filtering of all email addresses, not just Yahoo! addresses. (Unless, that is already offered and I am missing something!)

                          Hank

                          <!--

                          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                          #ygrp-text{