Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Spam filters

  • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 2, 2006
      --- Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...> wrote:
      > Thunderbird works for me with 100% accuracy :)

      Can it do it without setting up a single filter and without adding every
      address you know of to your address book?

      Frankly, I'd question the validity of any spam blocker or flitering system that
      claims 100% accuracy, with ABSOLUTELY NO false negatives or positives. (That is
      what 100% accuracy means--ABSOLUTELY NO mistakes.) SpamGuard isn't perfect, but
      it's accurate ENOUGH for my tastes, and it's easy to program. It does NOT
      require that I have dozens of filters set or every possible recipient address
      in my address book.

      Jay Bienvenu | jay@... | www.bienvenu.net
      360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp
    • Sasafrass
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 3, 2006
        Here's how it works.... I have the most common addresses that I recieve
        mail from in my addressbook. Then I create message filters, one of which
        is from-->isn't in addressbook. However, for Y group emails, I obviously
        can't add every member's email address to my addressbook, so I create a
        filter for subject-->doesn't contain-->[Y-Mail] (or whatever the subject
        tag is for a group). Then choose "delete" as the action. Now, as the
        owner of a Y group I can potentially get a lot of spam from non-members,
        so I turn off the email notification for pending messages & create a
        *seperate* filter for to-->contains-->Y-Mail-owner@yahoogroups.com &
        again choose "delete" as the action. Also turn off the spam filter, you
        won't need it with the above settings. And voila! ALL spam will go to
        the trash where it belongs :)

        I concede that this may be a little strict depending on the type of
        emails you receive, but you can always check the trash folder for any
        legit emails.

        http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
        IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)

        S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu wrote:

        > --- Sasafrass <sasafrass452@ yahoo.com
        > <mailto:sasafrass452%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
        > > Thunderbird works for me with 100% accuracy :)
        >
        > Can it do it without setting up a single filter and without adding every
        > address you know of to your address book?
        >
        > Frankly, I'd question the validity of any spam blocker or flitering
        > system that
        > claims 100% accuracy, with ABSOLUTELY NO false negatives or positives.
        > (That is
        > what 100% accuracy means--ABSOLUTELY NO mistakes.) SpamGuard isn't
        > perfect, but
        > it's accurate ENOUGH for my tastes, and it's easy to program. It does NOT
        > require that I have dozens of filters set or every possible recipient
        > address
        > in my address book.
        >
        > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _______
        > Jay Bienvenu | jay@bienvenu. net <mailto:jay%40bienvenu.net> |
        > www.bienvenu. net
        > 360.yahoo.com/ bienvenunet | raichu12.com/ wg.asp

      • Cindy Kee
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 3, 2006
          I'm relatively new to Y! Mail, so when you say "make use of you address book. It's a lot easier to tell the legitmate messages from spam that way", are you referring to the color-coding of messages, or something else? What's the most efficient use of the address book when it comes to spam? Is there a way to set the spam filters to automatically mark as spam anything that is not in your address book?

          Cindy in NV

          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 3, 2006
            One problem I have with this 'training' is that it is invisible to me.
            What is it really doing? Is it adding the source to some black list?
            Is it training some word filter? Can I see what it is doing?

            I wish the spam filtering was more opaque. My solution would have tags
            on the emails (insert request for email tags). When Yahoo's external
            spam filter thought it was spam, it would add and "Y-ProbablySpam"
            tag. Then the SpamBlocker feature is just a default rule to move
            anything with that tag into BulkMail.

            This would also allow incremental additions (like if the sender was in
            your address book, "Y-InAddressBook" would be added) or creation of
            user white lists, ...

            If properly done, experts would have all of these fine grained
            controls to tweek and use while people who didn't want to fool with it
            would just turn on SpamBlocker and it would 'do the right thing'.

            Is there a discussion about Yahoo Mail design? I have some thoughts.

            -- MB

            What I would really like is --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J.
            \"Jay\" Bienvenu" <bienvenunet@...> wrote:

            > --- Richard Picard <rpicard2000@...> wrote:
            > > I'm not sure what is meant by "training" of the spam filter, ...
            >
            > You train the spam filter by using the Spam button to delete your
            spam rather
            > than the delete button. If it's working well for you then either
            it's great for
            > everyone or you trained it without knowing it. :)

          • Hank Anderson
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 3, 2006
              I use the Yahoo Mail web interface exclusively and have very few problems with spam for my Yahoo mail addresses. I also have Yahoo web mail set to check other non-Yahoo pop accounts as well. Unfortunately, the Yahoo spam filter doesn't seem to work with those addresses at all. That is the primary feature that I would like to see added to Yahoo Mail--spam filtering of all email addresses, not just Yahoo! addresses. (Unless, that is already offered and I am missing something!)

              Hank

            • ontokyotime
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 4, 2006
                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Goutam Nath <goutam_nath@...> wrote:

                > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

                Goutam, what are you thinking?

                He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see
                signature)... A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

                O.

              • Goutam Nath
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)

                  Goutam

                  > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

                  Goutam, what are you thinking?

                  He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see
                  signature)... A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

                  O.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • too_much green_tea
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                    C'mon, people ... that's enough ...

                    I think everybody would agree Yahoo's spam filter still need works, but a public filter rarely fulfills the needs of every individuals. It can get rid of the massive spams with identifiable trace, but some WILL sneak through - eventually.

                    A personalized set of filters on top of a public set will almost always give better results, may it be TB, OE, or any other mail programs. The question comes down to how high the risk it would be to have something executed while spams are being scanned, and you'd have to admit TB is one of the better ones out there, available for free, and almost available on all platforms.

                    The bottom line? Maybe TB isn't about to solve all the world's problem, but at least Sasafrass isn't urging the uninitiated to use OE - like a lot of ISPs are still doing these days.

                    P.S. I wish Yahoo would have more filters for free accounts, but then lots of others have said the same for a long time, and we still have only 15 today.

                    Come and visit my 360°

                    http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

                    Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)

                    Goutam

                    > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

                    Goutam, what are you thinking?

                    He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see

                    signature).. . A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

                    O.

                    http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                  • Goutam Nath
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                      Yes I agree, Yahoo needs to work on it's Spam Filter's.

                      Receiving Spams in Inbox is frustrating, but finding legitimate e-mail in the spam folder hidden among the bunch of spams is infuriating and people whose accounts are set up to delete all spam will never see what they missed. The same applies if we fail to find the legitimate mail inside the Spam folder.

                      So, we definitely need more custom filter's.

                      - Goutam

                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                        Well, I do recommend Firefox to people when I see them having a problem
                        with IE *wink*

                        Goutam Nath wrote:

                        > Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting
                        > firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)
                        >
                        > Goutam

                      • Cindy Kee
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                          In order to use TB for spam filtering, do you have to download using POP3? This can't be done if we are using the web interface (beta), correct?

                          Cindy in NV

                        • Jim Wissick
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                            I have to agree. I think it doesn't do anything except make you feel
                            good when you push that button. THe lastest flood of "soandso
                            wrote:" spam and it not correcting messages marked safe in future
                            sends makes me think that.

                            JW.

                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "misterblue" <misterblue@...> wrote:

                            > One problem I have with this 'training' is that it is invisible to
                            me.
                            > What is it really doing? Is it adding the source to some black list?
                            > Is it training some word filter? Can I see what it is doing?
                            >
                            > I wish the spam filtering was more opaque. My solution would have
                            tags
                            > on the emails (insert request for email tags). When Yahoo's external
                            > spam filter thought it was spam, it would add and "Y-ProbablySpam"
                            > tag. Then the SpamBlocker feature is just a default rule to move
                            > anything with that tag into BulkMail.
                            >
                            > This would also allow incremental additions (like if the sender was
                            in
                            > your address book, "Y-InAddressBook" would be added) or creation of
                            > user white lists, ...
                            >
                            > If properly done, experts would have all of these fine grained
                            > controls to tweek and use while people who didn't want to fool with
                            it
                            > would just turn on SpamBlocker and it would 'do the right thing'.
                            >
                            > Is there a discussion about Yahoo Mail design? I have some thoughts.
                            >
                            > -- MB

                          • Nancy J
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                              The spam filter is working great for me since they added the "not spam" feature. I receive hardly any spam in my inbox, and very little legit in the spam folder anymore.

                              I like it now.

                              My pet peeve is the fact that the attachement icon doesn't always show next to an email, making me more vulnerable to mistakenly opening up a nasty. And also the size of the frame when viewing details in a folder -- I canNOT see the right side of the screen with "size" of the email, and I can't change screen res, or I won't be able to read anything. How about that scrow bar, dudes and dudettes! :)!

                              L8!
                              Nancy J
                              Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

                              "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
                              India Arie

                              "Truth is anything I agree with"
                              www.cindyalexander.com

                              http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

                              Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)

                              Goutam

                              > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

                              Goutam, what are you thinking?

                              He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see

                              signature).. . A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

                              O.

                            • Michael Taylor-Judd
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 9, 2006
                                As someone who has multiple aliases pointed here, I would also love to see this feature implemented -- if it's possible.

                                After all, a selling point of Mail Plus is the ability to have multiple "from" addresses (presumably because you're pointing multiple accounts here), so what's the point if your Yahoo inbox just starts filling up from those accounts?

                                Michael 8-)

                                I use the Yahoo Mail web interface exclusively and have very few problems with spam for my Yahoo mail addresses. I also have Yahoo web mail set to check other non-Yahoo pop accounts as well. Unfortunately, the Yahoo spam filter doesn't seem to work with those addresses at all. That is the primary feature that I would like to see added to Yahoo Mail--spam filtering of all email addresses, not just Yahoo! addresses. (Unless, that is already offered and I am missing something!)

                                Hank

                                <!--

                                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                #ygrp-text{