Re: [Y-Mail] Spam filters

  • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 30, 2006
      My experience is similar to Karl's. I have been using SpamGuard for a few years
      now, and the vast majority of spam gets sent to the Bulk folder. In addition to
      diligently "deleting" all unfiltered spam with the Spam button, also make use
      of your address book. It's a lot easier to tell the legitimate messages from
      the spam that way, and in the classic version you can filter for messages from
      contacts or unknown senders. I use these view frequently and managing my spam
      is a fairly efficient chore.

      --- Karl Westerman <karlwesterman@...> wrote:
      > I really can't tell you how long it takes as I have been using it for quite
      > some time... but after several weeks, you should notice it working pretty
      > well. I rarely get spam in my in-box or other folders and likewise, I almost
      > never get a desired e-mail in my spam... it does seem like it took a number
      > of weeks (6 or more) before it was working reasonably well and several
      > months before it got to the point that it rarely made a mistake... probably
      > after 6 months, there are almost no problems. You should notice it getting
      > better week by week.

      Jay Bienvenu | jay@... | www.bienvenu.net
      360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp
    • James
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 30, 2006
        Wow, spam seems to increase exponentially over time of an Email
        address. At first I got none and soon it went up to 30 a day and
        today, after just emptying it yesterday, it's up to 120 spams.
        Luckily, Yahoo! sent 116 of those to the spam folder (leaving 4 in the
        inbox). I very rarely have found false positives and nowadays I
        understandably don't bother to check for them.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Karl Westerman <karlwesterman@...> wrote:

        > I really can't tell you how long it takes as I have been using it
        for quite some time... but after several weeks, you should notice it
        working pretty well. I rarely get spam in my in-box or other folders
        and likewise, I almost never get a desired e-mail in my spam... it
        does seem like it took a number of weeks (6 or more) before it was
        working reasonably well and several months before it got to the point
        that it rarely made a mistake... probably after 6 months, there are
        almost no problems. You should notice it getting better week by week.

        > Karl

      • Sasafrass
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 1, 2006
          I've always said Yahoo's spam filters aren't good enough. I do hope that
          our recent poll here for requested features will make an impact, & that
          we'll get more filters & more filter criteria. Thunderbird beats 'em all
          by a mile, IMO.

          http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
          IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)

          James wrote:

          > Wow, spam seems to increase exponentially over time of an Email
          > address. At first I got none and soon it went up to 30 a day and
          > today, after just emptying it yesterday, it's up to 120 spams.
          > Luckily, Yahoo! sent 116 of those to the spam folder (leaving 4 in the
          > inbox). I very rarely have found false positives and nowadays I
          > understandably don't bother to check for them.
          >
          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>, Karl
          > Westerman <karlwesterman@ ...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I really can't tell you how long it takes as I have been using it
          > for quite some time... but after several weeks, you should notice it
          > working pretty well. I rarely get spam in my in-box or other folders
          > and likewise, I almost never get a desired e-mail in my spam... it
          > does seem like it took a number of weeks (6 or more) before it was
          > working reasonably well and several months before it got to the point
          > that it rarely made a mistake... probably after 6 months, there are
          > almost no problems. You should notice it getting better week by week.
          > >
          > > Karl

        • Richard Picard
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 1, 2006
            I'm not sure what is meant by "training" of the spam filter, but I have been using mail beta for some time now, and I find virtually no misdirected mail: what is spam goes into the spam file; what is "good" mail goes in the in-box. No problem!

          • york.ville
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 1, 2006
              I have noticed spam in my yahoo account. the new windows live mail
              seems to be doing a great job with spam right now. its weird but that
              app is not flashy at all like yahoo beta is but it gets the job done,
              and I find I am using it quite a bit. it is still in beta too, and its
              fast. something is keeping me from using the new Y! beta as my goto
              mail app. can't put my finger on it. i think the screen is trying to
              do too much, clutter and the characters are small. Also, I bet 90% of
              folks these days do not want to bother with searh shortcuts. a better
              approach is the way google uses advanced search, essentially short
              cuts but implemented the way users want. we don't have to remember
              anything or refer to cheat sheets.

              regards

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 1, 2006
                OMG, today (after just emptying yesterday) 207 in spam folder, 5 in inbox.

                FYI that is 97.6% accuracy. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it if the
                accuracy could be strengthened further. Why not see how close you can
                get to 100?

                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Thunderbird works for me with 100% accuracy :)

                  James wrote:

                  > OMG, today (after just emptying yesterday) 207 in spam folder, 5 in inbox.
                  >
                  > FYI that is 97.6% accuracy. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it if the
                  > accuracy could be strengthened further. Why not see how close you can
                  > get to 100?
                  >
                  > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > Sasafrass <sasafrass452@ ...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I've always said Yahoo's spam filters aren't good enough. I do hope
                  > that
                  > > our recent poll here for requested features will make an impact, & that
                  > > we'll get more filters & more filter criteria. Thunderbird beats 'em
                  > all
                  > > by a mile, IMO.
                  > >

                  > > http://darkangelfan s.proboards43. com
                  > <http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com>
                  > > http://www.geocitie s.com/sasafrass4 52/darkangel. html
                  > <http://www.geocities.com/sasafrass452/darkangel.html>
                  > > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/sassyscorn er
                  > > IM me! Sasafrass452( Yahoo)
                  > >

                  > > James wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Wow, spam seems to increase exponentially over time of an Email
                  > > > address. At first I got none and soon it went up to 30 a day and
                  > > > today, after just emptying it yesterday, it's up to 120 spams.
                  > > > Luckily, Yahoo! sent 116 of those to the spam folder (leaving 4 in the
                  > > > inbox). I very rarely have found false positives and nowadays I
                  > > > understandably don't bother to check for them.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail% 40yahoogroups. com>,
                  > Karl

                  > > > for quite some time... but after several weeks, you should notice it
                  > > > working pretty well. I rarely get spam in my in-box or other folders
                  > > > and likewise, I almost never get a desired e-mail in my spam... it
                  > > > does seem like it took a number of weeks (6 or more) before it was
                  > > > working reasonably well and several months before it got to the point
                  > > > that it rarely made a mistake... probably after 6 months, there are
                  > > > almost no problems. You should notice it getting better week by week.

                • Brent
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 2, 2006
                    Is there any way to filter out someone pushing Thunderbird in a YAHOO
                    WEBMAIL group?

                    On 12/2/06, Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...> wrote:

                    > Thunderbird works for me with 100% accuracy :)
                    >
                    > http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com
                    > http://www.geocities.com/sasafrass452/darkangel.html
                    > IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)
                    >
                    > James wrote:
                    > >
                    > > OMG, today (after just emptying yesterday) 207 in spam folder, 5 in
                    > inbox.
                    > >
                    > > FYI that is 97.6% accuracy. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it if the
                    > > accuracy could be strengthened further. Why not see how close you can
                    > > get to 100?
                    > >
                    > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail% <Y-Mail%25>
                    > 40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > > Sasafrass <sasafrass452@ ...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I've always said Yahoo's spam filters aren't good enough. I do hope
                    > > that
                    > > > our recent poll here for requested features will make an impact, &
                    > that
                    > > > we'll get more filters & more filter criteria. Thunderbird beats 'em
                    > > all
                    > > > by a mile, IMO.
                    > > >

                    > > > http://darkangelfan s.proboards43. com
                    > > <http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com>
                    > > > http://www.geocitie s.com/sasafrass4 52/darkangel. html
                    > > <http://www.geocities.com/sasafrass452/darkangel.html>
                    > > > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/sassyscorn er
                    > > > IM me! Sasafrass452( Yahoo)

                    > the

                    > > Karl

                    > point
                    > week.

                  • Goutam Nath
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 2, 2006
                      You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ? Here, I took the liberty of posting this link for you :-
                      http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/buttons.html

                      Enjoy !

                      - Goutam

                      James wrote:

                      > OMG, today (after just emptying yesterday) 207 in spam folder, 5 in inbox.
                      >
                      > FYI that is 97.6% accuracy. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it if the
                      > accuracy could be strengthened further. Why not see how close you can
                      > get to 100?
                      >
                      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > Sasafrass <sasafrass452@ ...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I've always said Yahoo's spam filters aren't good enough. I do hope
                      > that
                      > > our recent poll here for requested features will make an impact, & that
                      > > we'll get more filters & more filter criteria. Thunderbird beats 'em
                      > all
                      > > by a mile, IMO.
                      > >

                      > > http://darkangelfan s.proboards43. com
                      > <http://darkangelfans.proboards43.com>
                      > > http://www.geocitie s.com/sasafrass4 52/darkangel. html
                      > <http://www.geocities.com/sasafrass452/darkangel.html>
                      > > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/sassyscorn er
                      > > IM me! Sasafrass452( Yahoo)
                      > >

                      > > James wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Wow, spam seems to increase exponentially over time of an Email
                      > > > address. At first I got none and soon it went up to 30 a day and
                      > > > today, after just emptying it yesterday, it's up to 120 spams.
                      > > > Luckily, Yahoo! sent 116 of those to the spam folder (leaving 4 in the
                      > > > inbox). I very rarely have found false positives and nowadays I
                      > > > understandably don't bother to check for them.
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail% 40yahoogroups. com>,
                      > Karl

                      > > > for quite some time... but after several weeks, you should notice it
                      > > > working pretty well. I rarely get spam in my in-box or other folders
                      > > > and likewise, I almost never get a desired e-mail in my spam... it
                      > > > does seem like it took a number of weeks (6 or more) before it was
                      > > > working reasonably well and several months before it got to the point
                      > > > that it rarely made a mistake... probably after 6 months, there are
                      > > > almost no problems. You should notice it getting better week by week.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 2, 2006
                        --- Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...> wrote:
                        > Thunderbird works for me with 100% accuracy :)

                        Can it do it without setting up a single filter and without adding every
                        address you know of to your address book?

                        Frankly, I'd question the validity of any spam blocker or flitering system that
                        claims 100% accuracy, with ABSOLUTELY NO false negatives or positives. (That is
                        what 100% accuracy means--ABSOLUTELY NO mistakes.) SpamGuard isn't perfect, but
                        it's accurate ENOUGH for my tastes, and it's easy to program. It does NOT
                        require that I have dozens of filters set or every possible recipient address
                        in my address book.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 2, 2006
                          --- Richard Picard <rpicard2000@...> wrote:
                          > I'm not sure what is meant by "training" of the spam filter, ...

                          You train the spam filter by using the Spam button to delete your spam rather
                          than the delete button. If it's working well for you then either it's great for
                          everyone or you trained it without knowing it. :)

                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 2, 2006
                            That someone is one of the moderator's of this group ;)

                            Cheers !

                            Goutam

                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 3, 2006
                              Here's how it works.... I have the most common addresses that I recieve
                              mail from in my addressbook. Then I create message filters, one of which
                              is from-->isn't in addressbook. However, for Y group emails, I obviously
                              can't add every member's email address to my addressbook, so I create a
                              filter for subject-->doesn't contain-->[Y-Mail] (or whatever the subject
                              tag is for a group). Then choose "delete" as the action. Now, as the
                              owner of a Y group I can potentially get a lot of spam from non-members,
                              so I turn off the email notification for pending messages & create a
                              *seperate* filter for to-->contains-->Y-Mail-owner@yahoogroups.com &
                              again choose "delete" as the action. Also turn off the spam filter, you
                              won't need it with the above settings. And voila! ALL spam will go to
                              the trash where it belongs :)

                              I concede that this may be a little strict depending on the type of
                              emails you receive, but you can always check the trash folder for any
                              legit emails.

                              S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu wrote:

                              > --- Sasafrass <sasafrass452@ yahoo.com
                              > <mailto:sasafrass452%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                              > > Thunderbird works for me with 100% accuracy :)
                              >
                              > Can it do it without setting up a single filter and without adding every
                              > address you know of to your address book?
                              >
                              > Frankly, I'd question the validity of any spam blocker or flitering
                              > system that
                              > claims 100% accuracy, with ABSOLUTELY NO false negatives or positives.
                              > (That is
                              > what 100% accuracy means--ABSOLUTELY NO mistakes.) SpamGuard isn't
                              > perfect, but
                              > it's accurate ENOUGH for my tastes, and it's easy to program. It does NOT
                              > require that I have dozens of filters set or every possible recipient
                              > address
                              > in my address book.
                              >
                              > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _______
                              > Jay Bienvenu | jay@bienvenu. net <mailto:jay%40bienvenu.net> |
                              > www.bienvenu. net
                              > 360.yahoo.com/ bienvenunet | raichu12.com/ wg.asp

                            • Cindy Kee
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 3, 2006
                                I'm relatively new to Y! Mail, so when you say "make use of you address book. It's a lot easier to tell the legitmate messages from spam that way", are you referring to the color-coding of messages, or something else? What's the most efficient use of the address book when it comes to spam? Is there a way to set the spam filters to automatically mark as spam anything that is not in your address book?

                                Cindy in NV

                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 3, 2006
                                  One problem I have with this 'training' is that it is invisible to me.
                                  What is it really doing? Is it adding the source to some black list?
                                  Is it training some word filter? Can I see what it is doing?

                                  I wish the spam filtering was more opaque. My solution would have tags
                                  on the emails (insert request for email tags). When Yahoo's external
                                  spam filter thought it was spam, it would add and "Y-ProbablySpam"
                                  tag. Then the SpamBlocker feature is just a default rule to move
                                  anything with that tag into BulkMail.

                                  This would also allow incremental additions (like if the sender was in
                                  your address book, "Y-InAddressBook" would be added) or creation of
                                  user white lists, ...

                                  If properly done, experts would have all of these fine grained
                                  controls to tweek and use while people who didn't want to fool with it
                                  would just turn on SpamBlocker and it would 'do the right thing'.

                                  Is there a discussion about Yahoo Mail design? I have some thoughts.

                                  -- MB

                                  What I would really like is --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J.
                                  \"Jay\" Bienvenu" <bienvenunet@...> wrote:

                                  > --- Richard Picard <rpicard2000@...> wrote:
                                  > > I'm not sure what is meant by "training" of the spam filter, ...
                                  >
                                  > You train the spam filter by using the Spam button to delete your
                                  spam rather
                                  > than the delete button. If it's working well for you then either
                                  it's great for
                                  > everyone or you trained it without knowing it. :)

                                • Hank Anderson
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 3, 2006
                                    I use the Yahoo Mail web interface exclusively and have very few problems with spam for my Yahoo mail addresses. I also have Yahoo web mail set to check other non-Yahoo pop accounts as well. Unfortunately, the Yahoo spam filter doesn't seem to work with those addresses at all. That is the primary feature that I would like to see added to Yahoo Mail--spam filtering of all email addresses, not just Yahoo! addresses. (Unless, that is already offered and I am missing something!)

                                    Hank

                                  • ontokyotime
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 4, 2006
                                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Goutam Nath <goutam_nath@...> wrote:

                                      > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

                                      Goutam, what are you thinking?

                                      He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see
                                      signature)... A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

                                      O.

                                    • Goutam Nath
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 4, 2006
                                        Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)

                                        Goutam

                                        > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

                                        Goutam, what are you thinking?

                                        He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see
                                        signature)... A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

                                        O.

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • too_much green_tea
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                                          C'mon, people ... that's enough ...

                                          I think everybody would agree Yahoo's spam filter still need works, but a public filter rarely fulfills the needs of every individuals. It can get rid of the massive spams with identifiable trace, but some WILL sneak through - eventually.

                                          A personalized set of filters on top of a public set will almost always give better results, may it be TB, OE, or any other mail programs. The question comes down to how high the risk it would be to have something executed while spams are being scanned, and you'd have to admit TB is one of the better ones out there, available for free, and almost available on all platforms.

                                          The bottom line? Maybe TB isn't about to solve all the world's problem, but at least Sasafrass isn't urging the uninitiated to use OE - like a lot of ISPs are still doing these days.

                                          P.S. I wish Yahoo would have more filters for free accounts, but then lots of others have said the same for a long time, and we still have only 15 today.

                                          Come and visit my 360°

                                          http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

                                          Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)

                                          Goutam

                                          > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

                                          Goutam, what are you thinking?

                                          He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see

                                          signature).. . A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

                                          O.

                                          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                                        • Goutam Nath
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                                            Yes I agree, Yahoo needs to work on it's Spam Filter's.

                                            Receiving Spams in Inbox is frustrating, but finding legitimate e-mail in the spam folder hidden among the bunch of spams is infuriating and people whose accounts are set up to delete all spam will never see what they missed. The same applies if we fail to find the legitimate mail inside the Spam folder.

                                            So, we definitely need more custom filter's.

                                            - Goutam

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                                              Well, I do recommend Firefox to people when I see them having a problem
                                              with IE *wink*

                                              Goutam Nath wrote:

                                              > Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting
                                              > firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)
                                              >
                                              > Goutam

                                            • Cindy Kee
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                                                In order to use TB for spam filtering, do you have to download using POP3? This can't be done if we are using the web interface (beta), correct?

                                                Cindy in NV

                                              • Jim Wissick
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                                                  I have to agree. I think it doesn't do anything except make you feel
                                                  good when you push that button. THe lastest flood of "soandso
                                                  wrote:" spam and it not correcting messages marked safe in future
                                                  sends makes me think that.

                                                  JW.

                                                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "misterblue" <misterblue@...> wrote:

                                                  > One problem I have with this 'training' is that it is invisible to
                                                  me.
                                                  > What is it really doing? Is it adding the source to some black list?
                                                  > Is it training some word filter? Can I see what it is doing?
                                                  >
                                                  > I wish the spam filtering was more opaque. My solution would have
                                                  tags
                                                  > on the emails (insert request for email tags). When Yahoo's external
                                                  > spam filter thought it was spam, it would add and "Y-ProbablySpam"
                                                  > tag. Then the SpamBlocker feature is just a default rule to move
                                                  > anything with that tag into BulkMail.
                                                  >
                                                  > This would also allow incremental additions (like if the sender was
                                                  in
                                                  > your address book, "Y-InAddressBook" would be added) or creation of
                                                  > user white lists, ...
                                                  >
                                                  > If properly done, experts would have all of these fine grained
                                                  > controls to tweek and use while people who didn't want to fool with
                                                  it
                                                  > would just turn on SpamBlocker and it would 'do the right thing'.
                                                  >
                                                  > Is there a discussion about Yahoo Mail design? I have some thoughts.
                                                  >
                                                  > -- MB

                                                • Nancy J
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 5, 2006
                                                    The spam filter is working great for me since they added the "not spam" feature. I receive hardly any spam in my inbox, and very little legit in the spam folder anymore.

                                                    I like it now.

                                                    My pet peeve is the fact that the attachement icon doesn't always show next to an email, making me more vulnerable to mistakenly opening up a nasty. And also the size of the frame when viewing details in a folder -- I canNOT see the right side of the screen with "size" of the email, and I can't change screen res, or I won't be able to read anything. How about that scrow bar, dudes and dudettes! :)!

                                                    L8!
                                                    Nancy J
                                                    Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

                                                    "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
                                                    India Arie

                                                    "Truth is anything I agree with"
                                                    www.cindyalexander.com

                                                    http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

                                                    Atleast we won't have to encounter extra emails from her promoting firefox, and I always overlook the signatures ;)

                                                    Goutam

                                                    > You are such a great fan of Thunderbird, why don't you promote it ?

                                                    Goutam, what are you thinking?

                                                    He/she is busy promoting his/her sites in every single post (see

                                                    signature).. . A link to Thunderbird would get in the way...

                                                    O.

                                                  • Michael Taylor-Judd
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 9, 2006
                                                      As someone who has multiple aliases pointed here, I would also love to see this feature implemented -- if it's possible.

                                                      After all, a selling point of Mail Plus is the ability to have multiple "from" addresses (presumably because you're pointing multiple accounts here), so what's the point if your Yahoo inbox just starts filling up from those accounts?

                                                      Michael 8-)

                                                      I use the Yahoo Mail web interface exclusively and have very few problems with spam for my Yahoo mail addresses. I also have Yahoo web mail set to check other non-Yahoo pop accounts as well. Unfortunately, the Yahoo spam filter doesn't seem to work with those addresses at all. That is the primary feature that I would like to see added to Yahoo Mail--spam filtering of all email addresses, not just Yahoo! addresses. (Unless, that is already offered and I am missing something!)

                                                      Hank

                                                      <!--

                                                      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                                      #ygrp-text{