Getting more out of search

  • Ryan Kennedy
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
      I finally got my search shortcuts post together and it's now up on the updates blog:

      http://updates.mail.yahoo.com/blog/archives/33

      Ryan Kennedy
      Yahoo! Mail
    • too_much green_tea
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2006
        Great post! For those new to the group, the search shortcuts we now know existed include (drum roll):

        from: , to: , cc: , recipient: , subject: , body: , attachment: , attachmentcount: , attachmenttype: , attachmentname: , - (modifier)

        Still wishing for a couple to search for dates (like before/after a specified date) though ... :)

        Come and visit my 360°

        http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

        I finally got my search shortcuts post together and it's now up on the updates blog:

        http://updates.mail.yahoo.com/blog/archives/33

        Ryan Kennedy

        Yahoo! Mail

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
      • Ryan Kennedy
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2006
          Two more updates on the search shortcuts:

          1) Joe Beaulaurier has linked to my post from downloadsquad (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/11/30/yahoo-mail-beta-shortcuts-revealed/). If you're not already subscribed to downloadsquad, I recommend checking it out. Joe and Chris Price (formerly of The Unofficial Yahoo Weblog) often post about Yahoo! products, including Yahoo! Mail.

          2) As Joe pointed out, I've added a search shortcuts page (http://updates.mail.yahoo.com/blog/search-shortcuts/). This is more of a search reference than my blog post is, making it quick and easy for you to look up the shortcuts whenever you find yourself needing them. As Joe mentioned, I'll update that page with new shortcuts anytime we add them. I'll of course let you all know when that happens.

          Ryan Kennedy
          Yahoo! Mail

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2006
            Sounds good, I was thinking we could use a shortcuts key page. Do you
            think you could add a link to it from the Y! mail beta "help"
            drop-down menu

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Kennedy <rckenned@...> wrote:

            > Two more updates on the search shortcuts:
            >
            > 1) Joe Beaulaurier has linked to my post from downloadsquad
            (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/11/30/yahoo-mail-beta-shortcuts-revealed/).
            If you're not already subscribed to downloadsquad, I recommend
            checking it out. Joe and Chris Price (formerly of The Unofficial Yahoo
            Weblog) often post about Yahoo! products, including Yahoo! Mail.

            > 2) As Joe pointed out, I've added a search shortcuts page
            (http://updates.mail.yahoo.com/blog/search-shortcuts/). This is more
            of a search reference than my blog post is, making it quick and easy
            for you to look up the shortcuts whenever you find yourself needing
            them. As Joe mentioned, I'll update that page with new shortcuts
            anytime we add them. I'll of course let you all know when that happens.

            > Ryan Kennedy
            > Yahoo! Mail

          • humanoperand
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
              How about being able to search for messages that are "flagged" too?
            • Liz Yumrutepe
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
                If you click on the little flag on the tool bar it will sort all messages with flags

                http://www.kaplan.edu
                " Knowledge is the key to life "

                How about being able to search for messages that are "flagged" too?

              • Cindy Kee
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
                  That only works in a single folder - there isn't a way to find all flagged messages across all folders, which a search capability would provide.

                  Cindy in NV
                  Robby and Mike (8 years old)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
                    Until then, there's a nasty little trick ... you can do a search with only "to:", which list almost all messages in the account. You can then sort the flag column to find all flagged messages.

                    I had to use "almost" because for some reasons, 41 of my messages weren't accounted for with this method, and so far I haven't thought of a way to track down which 41 were missing.

                    Come and visit my 360°

                    http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

                    That only works in a single folder - there isn't a way to find all flagged messages across all folders, which a search capability would provide.

                    Cindy in NV

                    Robby and Mike (8 years old)

                    If you click on the little flag on the tool bar it will sort all messages with flags.

                    Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                    Access over 1 million songs.
                    http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
                  • too_much green_tea
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
                      Never mind ... I figured out what the problem was. It turns out the search "to:" wasn't listing all emails with "To:", it was listing all emails with "to" in the message. And since "to" is probably one of the most used word in the English-speaking part of the world, plus my user name is "toomuch ... well, you get the idea. (^_^')

                      Nonetheless, you can still search for messages that have certain common character (like containing the letter "a"), then sort the flag column for all the flagged messages.

                      Come and visit my 360°

                      http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

                      That only works in a single folder - there isn't a way to find all flagged messages across all folders, which a search capability would provide.

                      Cindy in NV

                      Robby and Mike (8 years old)

                      If you click on the little flag on the tool bar it will sort all messages with flags.

                      Cheap talk?
                      http://voice.yahoo.com
                    • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
                        Note to Ryan: You could have a "flag:yes" for finding just flagged messages and
                        "flag:no" for finding just unflagged messages.

                        For that matter, a tag such as "unread:" or "status:read/unread" would be good too.

                        Jay Bienvenu | jay@... | www.bienvenu.net
                        360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp