Reproducible way to screw up my Y!Mail Beta session

  • evanr76
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2006
      I get about 100 spam per day, in chunks of about 20 messages each.

      The way I like to get rid of them is to select them (by holding down
      the SHIFT-key and selecting a range of them), and then click the
      Spam button.

      Consistently, when I do this, there is a 60-70% chance that the
      following will happen:

      1) The messages will be removed from my Inbox tab (because the UI
      optimistically gets rid of them)
      2) The e-mail session will become hung.
      3) Clicking on unread messages fails to load the message in the
      preview pane. I alternately get one of the following messages:
      a) "Loading message ..." which fails to complete
      b) "You have been waiting for this message for ##.##### seconds
      ..." which fails to complete
      c) "We're sorry, but there appears to be a problem fetching this
      message. Click here to try again" and clicking does nothing.
      4) Reloading Y!Mail is not effective.

      Here is my guess as to what's happening:

      1) The batch operation on the spam messages is exploded into 20 (or
      more) individual "this is SPAM" calls to the back-end which occur in a
      rapid fire fashion.
      2) The back-end calls happen so quickly that they trigger Yahoo!'s
      anti-abuse system which then flags my browser as a potential abuser.
      3) My browser is put in a "time-out" box until Y!Mail is convinced I
      am not malicious.

      When the dust clears and I am able to use Y!Mail again, typically only
      a few of the messages I have flagged as spam, were actually removed
      (they reappear in my inbox) and I have to repeat the whole thing.

      I think I have seen the above happen when I delete messages in rapid
      succession, whether individually or in a batch.

      Y!Mail Beta has made tremendous strides since I began using it but
      this problem is really frustrating. Are there any work-arounds other
      than using the interface more slowly?

      Thanks!
      - E