mail notifiction

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2006
      Will yahoo mail ever get the option like Outlook,where you can request
      that you be alerted when the message is received ,if it was read or
      deleted>
      I belive that is impotant information to knnow especially if you need
      to prove something.
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2006
        Return Receipts are generaly useless because they only
        tell you that the message arrived at the server; not
        that it was opened and/or read (there is no way to
        determine that).

        --- Bruce <baddogfisher@...> wrote:

        > Will yahoo mail ever get the option like
        > Outlook,where you can request
        > that you be alerted when the message is received ,if
        > it was read or
        > deleted>
        > I belive that is impotant information to knnow
        > especially if you need
        > to prove something.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        -Paul.
      • Jonathan Paden
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Paul <paulktf@...> wrote:

          > Return Receipts are generaly useless because they only
          > tell you that the message arrived at the server; not
          > that it was opened and/or read (there is no way to
          > determine that).

          Don't know about you, but when I get a message in Outlook with the
          return receipt flag set, Outlook asks me if I want to send the return
          receipt. The mail server does not do it automatically. I can also
          set Outlook to automatically acknowledge or ignore the return receipt
          request... but that's only when the mail client (Outlook) gets it from
          the server, not the mail server (Exchange, POP, whatever).

          I'm assuming that other mail servers and clients function the same
          way, though I'll admit I only have experience with Outlook on POP and
          Exchange.

          I particularly would find a read receipt feature very useful.
          -JP
        • Michael Taylor-Judd
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2006
            I think we talked about this early on in this group...

            I don't believe this is possible to implement with Yahoo. (Someone with more technical knowledge please weigh in.) With Outlook, you have to be on an Exchange server, and communicating with other users on the same server. That is why it can tell you when it was sent, when it was received, and if it was read or deleted -- because it is all happening on the same server.

            Will yahoo mail ever get the option like Outlook,where you can request

            that you be alerted when the message is received ,if it was read or

            deleted>

            I belive that is impotant information to knnow especially if you need

            to prove something.

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{