Should we have another FREE webmail accts discussion?

  • too_much green_tea
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2006
      It has been a while since the last one took place, and over the past few months there were changes made by all four major providers (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, AIM/Netscape), in terms of both the interface and functions available.

      Do you have accounts on all four services? What suits you best? What do you dislike the most? What do you want with Y-Mail that isn't there?

      To get things started, I REALLY hate the filters limitation on Y-Mail, which no other providers imposed BTW. And I still haven't gotten rid of my AIM/Netscape accounts because of its free IMAP service. In fact, for semi-important communications that I'd want to be able to store offline, AIM/Netscape is still my de facto choice.

      I recently logged onto Hotmail/Live Mail to see how they are doing. It seems their interface has really come along nicely. I had no desire to use it before ('cause the time it took to load in Firefox was unbearable), but now I may give it second look.

      As for GMail, the exclusivity in the beginning really get people excited early in the game, but can you name the reasons why you're still using it at this point? Was it because you're stuck due to contacts, or were there something special that you rely on and ain't available anywhere else?

      BTW, you don't have to be a Yahoo fan boy/girl to pitch in. :) And there's only one ground rule - shout, yell, argue all you want, but to keep things civil, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS ALLOWED. ;)

      -----

      Come and visit my 360°
      http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea
    • too_much green_tea
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2006
        I'm adding unreliable service to my list of dismay. (>_<)

        -----

[...]

        <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family:Georgia; } #ygrp-text p{ margin:0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-tpmsgs{ font-family:Arial; clear:both; } #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top:10px; font-family:Verdana; font-size:77%; margin:0; } #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding:0 1px; } #ygrp-actbar{ clear:both; margin:25px 0; white-space:nowrap; color:#666; text-align:right; } #ygrp-actbar .left{ float:left; white-space:nowrap; } .bld{font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft{ font-family:Verdana; font-size:77%; padding:15px 0; } #ygrp-ft{ font-family:verdana; font-size:77%; border-top:1px solid #666; padding:5px 0; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom:10px; } #ygrp-vital{ background-color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom:20px; padding:2px 0 8px 8px; } #ygrp-vital #vithd{ font-size:77%; font-family:Verdana; font-weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform:uppercase; } #ygrp-vital ul{ padding:0; margin:2px 0; } #ygrp-vital ul li{ list-style-type:none; clear:both; border:1px solid #e0ecee; } #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{ font-weight:bold; color:#ff7900; float:right; width:2em; text-align:right; padding-right:.5em; } #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{ font-weight:bold; } #ygrp-vital a { text-decoration:none; } #ygrp-vital a:hover{ text-decoration:underline; } #ygrp-sponsor #hd{ color:#999; font-size:77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov{ padding:6px 13px; background-color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom:20px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{ padding:0 0 0 8px; margin:0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-type:square; padding:6px 0; font-size:77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{ text-decoration:none; font-size:130%; } #ygrp-sponsor #nc { background-color:#eee; margin-bottom:20px; padding:0 8px; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding:8px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-family:Arial; font-weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size:100%; line-height:122%; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration:none; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration:underline; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin:0; } o {font-size:0;} .MsoNormal { margin:0 0 0 0; } #ygrp-text tt{ font-size:120%; } blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;} .replbq {margin:4;} -->
      • fiveandahalfminutehallway
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2006
          With the latest additions to Yahoo Mail Beta, I think they have again
          pulled out in front of the pack.

          While Microsoft is taking steps to make Windows Live Mail look nicer,
          the service still leaves much to be desired. Especially in non-IE
          browsers. It may load faster now, but that is about it. (Unless I've
          missed something, you still can't even size the reading pane outside
          of IE.) And integration with the other "Live" services seems to be
          coming along slowly. They may be a contender in the future, but for
          now they still rank last among the four with me.

          AIM Mail and Gmail probably tie for the next spot up the chain, each
          for different reasons. Gmail certainly has the slicker interface, but
          AIM seems to have more of the standard functions closer at hand. If I
          used Gmail enough to see more of the conversations feature, that may
          have made a difference, but I can't speak to that just yet. And AIM
          loses points with me every time I wait for a new window to load up
          with an email message. I have gotten used to the ides of preview
          panes or, in the case of Yahoo alone as far as I can tell, opening
          messages in tabs.

          That isn't to say there are not still problems with Yahoo. The
          calendar has yet to be fully integrated despite the addition of the
          bar at the bottom of the mail window. And I hope they are not done
          tweaking the Contact Lists. I use them all the time and have noticed
          that I either have to always choose the primary email when adding a
          contact, or deal with a "phantom contact" being created for the
          Alternate email address.
          I do understand, though, that is is a work in progress. And I have
          not yet had more than momentary problems with the speed of loading or
          availability of service. That may all depend on the luck of the farm.

          I will continue to keep an eye on all four of these webmail providers.
          And to keep my fingers crossed that the AOL/Yahoo thing I heard last
          week is just a rumor. :)

          <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

          > It has been a while since the last one took place, and over the past
          few months there were changes made by all four major providers
          (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, AIM/Netscape), in terms of both the
          interface and functions available.

          > Do you have accounts on all four services? What suits you best? What
          do you dislike the most? What do you want with Y-Mail that isn't there?

          > To get things started, I REALLY hate the filters limitation on
          Y-Mail, which no other providers imposed BTW. And I still haven't
          gotten rid of my AIM/Netscape accounts because of its free IMAP
          service. In fact, for semi-important communications that I'd want to
          be able to store offline, AIM/Netscape is still my de facto choice.

          > I recently logged onto Hotmail/Live Mail to see how they are doing.
          It seems their interface has really come along nicely. I had no desire
          to use it before ('cause the time it took to load in Firefox was
          unbearable), but now I may give it second look.

          > As for GMail, the exclusivity in the beginning really get people
          excited early in the game, but can you name the reasons why you're
          still using it at this point? Was it because you're stuck due to
          contacts, or were there something special that you rely on and ain't
          available anywhere else?

          > BTW, you don't have to be a Yahoo fan boy/girl to pitch in. :) And
          there's only one ground rule - shout, yell, argue all you want, but to
          keep things civil, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS ALLOWED. ;)
        • gboja
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2006
            I also use all 4 webmails (AOL, Gmail, Yahoo Beta, Yahoo Classic, MS LiveMail).
            I have to say I like Yahoo webmail the best (UI is better, etc).
            Yahoo Mail Beta is easy to use although I wish it would have more of the features that
            I like/use and of course there are still problems.

            I like Gmail's search features and the fact that I dont get graphic ads.

            I use AOL's webmail for sentimental reasons (i used to work for Netscape before it
            got bought my AOL). Overall, it's OK although loading of messages is slow and sometimes
            I get errors when trying to send messages. The integration of IM to the webmail interface is
            OK, i guess (i havent used it).

            MS LiveMail has gotten better but somehow I just have not warmed up to it (gotten faster, etc)
            but so far nothing stands out that makes me want to use it more.

            I use Yahoo/AOL the most.

            glenda

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, too_much green_tea

            <toomuchgreentea@ ...> wrote:

            > It has been a while since the last one took place, and over the past

            few months there were changes made by all four major providers

            (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, AIM/Netscape) , in terms of both the

            interface and functions available.

            > Do you have accounts on all four services? What suits you best? What

            do you dislike the most? What do you want with Y-Mail that isn't there?

            > To get things started, I REALLY hate the filters limitation on

            Y-Mail, which no other providers imposed BTW. And I still haven't

            gotten rid of my AIM/Netscape accounts because of its free IMAP

            service. In fact, for semi-important communications that I'd want to

            be able to store offline, AIM/Netscape is still my de facto choice.

            > I recently logged onto Hotmail/Live Mail to see how they are doing.

            It seems their interface has really come along nicely. I had no desire

            to use it before ('cause the time it took to load in Firefox was

            unbearable), but now I may give it second look.

            > As for GMail, the exclusivity in the beginning really get people

            excited early in the game, but can you name the reasons why you're

            still using it at this point? Was it because you're stuck due to

            contacts, or were there something special that you rely on and ain't

            available anywhere else?

            > BTW, you don't have to be a Yahoo fan boy/girl to pitch in. :) And

            there's only one ground rule - shout, yell, argue all you want, but to

            keep things civil, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS ALLOWED. ;)

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;