Dot Address Effects Observed - Interesting?

  • _theclash_
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2006
      I noticed today that emails sent to my dot profile with the wrong
      Yahoo! domain are sometimes (depending on the domain) successfully
      delivered to my Yahoo.com account but that emails sent to my base
      userid with the wrong Yahoo! domain are never successfully delivered
      to my Yahoo.com account.

      To clarify ...

      I have the following addresses:

      baseuserid@...
      firstname.lastname@... (an alias for the above address)

      Emails sent to my baseuserid address but with the wrong domain name
      (e.g., baseuserid@..., baseuserid@..., etc.) are
      never successfully delivered to baseuserid@.... This is what
      you'd expect.

      However, emails sent to my firstname.lastname address but with the
      wrong domain (e.g., firstname.lastname@...,
      firstname.lastname@...) are delivered successfully to my
      firstname.lastname@... address. This is a bit surprising.
      And the success is not across the board for all international Yahoo!
      domains. It works for Yahoo.com.ar and Yahoo.com.mx but not for
      Yahoo.co.uk and Yahoo.com.au. I haven't tested any other domains
      yet.

      This is not terribly important and perhaps not all that interesting
      for most members here but I thought some members might find it
      interesting. In effect dot address Yahoo.com users have at least
      two new email addresses available to them. Perhaps not for long
      though. I would expect Yahoo! Argentina and Yahoo! Mexico to fix
      their email address holes eventually.
    • Goutam Nath
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2006
        didn't work with .co.in still it is some interesting discovery.

        Goutam