Re: [Y-Mail] Fast firing Ads

  • Matthew Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
      Guess I'm lucky. I don't get the rapid fire ads. In fact, I don't think I've seen it switch while on the page.

      I do get, however, a 'Page cannot be found' momentarily in the ad window when I clear out a folder. Lasts there for about 3 seconds, and then an ad loads.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
        I spent some time trying to recreate the "rapid-firing" I had before but couldn't, and the distinct periodic CPU usage spikes of yesterday are gone today also. I hope both of those were just glitches.

        There are also other changes - dragging the scroll-bar to read message seems to fire less ADs than yesterday (still annoying), but using the keyboard/mouse-wheel continues to result in one AD per event, meaning you get a new AD each time you press the up/down arrows, or each time you scroll with the mouse-wheel.

        The marketing bunch in Yahoo! REALLY don't get it, do they? On traditional media (like TV), ADs need to be interesting and flashy and colorful to attract attention, otherwise the viewers will wander to the kitchen, the bathroom, or simply switch to another channel. On computers, however, the users ARE already doing something else, may it be searching, emailing, or reading to name a few. Fast switching flashy ADs can only serve the purpose of annoyance.

        Text ADs on text pages are way more effective than graphics. The key is to blend in, not to stand out. Being forced to change the frame of mind from reading text to interpreting graphics often generates more negative sentiments than positive, not to mention if those graphics blink ALL THE TIME.

        I mean, does Yahoo's marketing really think those over in Google are just a group of stupid idiots?