Where'd my Beta go?

  • Michelle York
    Message 1 of 20 , May 29 10:42 AM
      I¹ve had the Beta for several months now. Sometimes check it on my work
      computer (Windows XP) and sometimes on my personal computer-Mac Powerbook.
      I¹ve heard about other¹s Beta¹s coming and going, but I¹ve never had it
      disappear. Today when I logged in on my Powerbook, I¹m back to the classic
      version. I logged off and logged back on‹still the classic version.

      I¹ll keep trying, but what would the next step be if it remains in classic
      mode? Can¹t try it out on my work computer (XP) until tomorrow.

    • Chris Price
      Message 2 of 20 , May 29 6:25 PM
        Check your Mail Options - you may find the Beta invite at the top.

        It's possible that you told a failed logon page that you wanted to go back for more than that session, so your account has been put back on the "Classic".

        Chris.

        I¹ve had the Beta for several months now. Sometimes check it on my work
        computer (Windows XP) and sometimes on my personal computer-Mac Powerbook.
        I¹ve heard about other¹s Beta¹s coming and going, but I¹ve never had it
        disappear. Today when I logged in on my Powerbook, I¹m back to the classic
        version. I logged off and logged back onstill the classic version.

        I¹ll keep trying, but what would the next step be if it remains in classic
        mode? Can¹t try it out on my work computer (XP) until tomorrow.

        Expert advice Expert Computer expert Security expert Expert testimony Expert witness testimony
        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

      • Michelle
        Message 3 of 20 , May 30 6:41 AM
          I just checked my mail options (from my Windows XP computer at
          work--which is also back to Classic). I'm not seeing the Beta invite at
          all. Although why would there be if I have already been on it for
          months?!

          I never have a need to go back to the Classic version--the only time
          that I ever needed to do that was when I would occasionally use a
          Windows 98 computer when I first signed up for the Beta--that doesn't
          happen since the beginning of last Fall.

          What's my next step? Do I attempt to contact customer service?

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@...> wrote:

          > Check your Mail Options - you may find the Beta invite at the top.
          >
          > It's possible that you told a failed logon page that you wanted to go
          back for more than that session, so your account has been put back on
          the "Classic".

          > Chris.

        • Kenton Ayers
          Message 4 of 20 , May 30 7:16 AM
            I had the same thing happen to me, but I had only been using it for a few hours. I don't have any invites or links that allow me to go back to it. I've contact customer service twice and have never gotten any answer except that Beta is being rolled out gradually. Let me know if you hear something.

            Michelle <teacher24_70@...> wrote:
            I just checked my mail options (from my Windows XP computer at
            work--which is also back to Classic). I'm not seeing the Beta invite at
            all. Although why would there be if I have already been on it for
            months?!

            I never have a need to go back to the Classic version--the only time
            that I ever needed to do that was when I would occasionally use a
            Windows 98 computer when I first signed up for the Beta--that doesn't
            happen since the beginning of last Fall.

            What's my next step? Do I attempt to contact customer service?

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@...> wrote:

            > Check your Mail Options - you may find the Beta invite at the top.
            >
            > It's possible that you told a failed logon page that you wanted to go
            back for more than that session, so your account has been put back on
            the "Classic".

            > Chris.

            ---------------------------------

            Regards and God Bless,
            Kenton Ayers
            www.fbcchannahon.org

          • Kenton Ayers
            Message 5 of 20 , May 30 1:01 PM
              Beta just came back to me. I don't know what happened, why it went away for 2-3 weeks.....? I'm on f820.

              I had the same thing happen to me, but I had only been using it for a few hours. I don't have any invites or links that allow me to go back to it. I've contact customer service twice and have never gotten any answer except that Beta is being rolled out gradually. Let me know if you hear something.

              Michelle <teacher24_70@...> wrote:
              I just checked my mail options (from my Windows XP computer at
              work--which is also back to Classic). I'm not seeing the Beta invite at
              all. Although why would there be if I have already been on it for
              months?!

              I never have a need to go back to the Classic version--the only time
              that I ever needed to do that was when I would occasionally use a
              Windows 98 computer when I first signed up for the Beta--that doesn't
              happen since the beginning of last Fall.

              What's my next step? Do I attempt to contact customer service?

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chris Price <pricecs@...> wrote:

              > Check your Mail Options - you may find the Beta invite at the top.
              >
              > It's possible that you told a failed logon page that you wanted to go
              back for more than that session, so your account has been put back on
              the "Classic".

              > Chris.

            • James
              Message 6 of 20 , May 30 5:54 PM
                whoa, do u hav at&t?

                I thought i was only 1 on 800's

                f812

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenton Ayers <kena84@...> wrote:

                > Beta just came back to me. I don't know what happened, why it went
                away for 2-3 weeks.....? I'm on f820.

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > Regards and God Bless,
                > Kenton Ayers
                > www.fbcchannahon.org

                > Security expert Expert testimony Expert witness testimony
                >

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

              • Olivier C. Laurent
                Message 7 of 20 , May 31 1:36 AM
                  I just got the latest release: version 0.3.2, build: 253.6, 05/25/2006 04:14pm.

                  The changes:
                  - The "home" page is always available as a tab.
                  - Contact page: the reading pane is vertical instead of horizontal.
                  - When loading the mail client, you get a little bouncing guy.

                  That's all I could notice.

                  Olivier

                • Mad Goldfish
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 31 2:07 AM
                    I've got the upgrade too, and I've noticed, in addition to the below, that the "handy hints" panel is now above the folder list. New contacts list is much better, but I wish I could have that and a folder open at the same time.

                    @<

                    --

                    Find me at http://360.yahoo.com/mad_goldfish

                    I just got the latest release: version 0.3.2, build: 253.6, 05/25/2006 04:14pm.

                    The changes:
                    - The "home" page is always available as a tab.
                    - Contact page: the reading pane is vertical instead of horizontal.
                    - When loading the mail client, you get a little bouncing guy.

                    That's all I could notice.

                    Olivier

                    Expert advice Expert Computer expert Security expert Expert testimony Expert witness testimony
                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

                  • too_much green_tea
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 31 3:19 AM
                      Me: My computer is so slow ...
                      Chorus: How slow is it?
                      Me: My computer is so slow that I'm lucky if I'll ever see that "bouncing guy" bounce even once ...

                      Joking aside, there appears to be some major work done to both the css and the code. The response of the interface has improved somewhat. Calendar implementation is there in css but not yet enabled(?) in javascript. There are also some changes in the rss feeds display as well, but to be honest, it's still not a workable solution - it really shouldn't be refreshing along with every single change, may it be a page down or scrolling only for a few pixels.

                      For rich text composing, there is a bug with button highlights - say if I selected some text then press bold/italic, the text changes state and the button is highlighted. Now deselect the text by clicking elsewhere. The button should not be highlighted but remains so.

                      There're lots of nice touches everywhere. I bet it take at least a couple of weeks to find them all ...

                      Come and visit my 360°
                      http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 31 3:26 AM
                        Another couple of things I've noticed:

                        * Clicking on an attachment now brings up a Norton AntiVirus scan window, followed by the option to download. (Which fixes one of my reasons for having to switch back, so big thanks to Yahoo for that).

                        * Right-click on a folder has the option to mark as read (that might have been there before but I can't remember, and it's very, very useful for me.)

                        @<

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 31 4:49 AM
                          I STILL don't have the new version yet :(

                          IM me! Sasafrass452 (Yahoo)

                        • Sasafrass
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 31 4:52 AM
                            You should probably scan your system for spyware if it's slow.
                            http://www.lavasoftusa.org http://www.safer-networking.org

                            IM me! Sasafrass452 (Yahoo)

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 31 5:11 AM
                              No ... my computer is just slow. As I've said before, it has passed its mid-life crisis in dog's year, but it still has enough RAM to manage resources for at least another year or so. Still, I believe better events management plus careful coding should yield better results.

                              too_much green_tea wrote:
                              > Me: My computer is so slow ...
                              > Chorus: How slow is it?
                              > Me: My computer is so slow that I'm lucky if I'll ever see that
                              > "bouncing guy" bounce even once ...
                              >
                              > Joking aside, there appears to be some major work done to both the css
                              > and the code. The response of the interface has improved somewhat.
                              > Calendar implementation is there in css but not yet enabled(?) in
                              > javascript. There are also some changes in the rss feeds display as
                              > well, but to be honest, it's still not a workable solution - it really
                              > shouldn't be refreshing along with every single change, may it be a
                              > page down or scrolling only for a few pixels.
                              >
                              > For rich text composing, there is a bug with button highlights - say
                              > if I selected some text then press bold/italic, the text changes state
                              > and the button is highlighted. Now deselect the text by clicking
                              > elsewhere. The button should not be highlighted but remains so.
                              >
                              > There're lots of nice touches everywhere. I bet it take at least a
                              > couple of weeks to find them all ...

                              > Come and visit my 360°
                              > http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

                            • Kenton Ayers
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 31 5:36 AM
                                Yes, I'm on AT&T. One of our screen names got Beta several weeks ago. Yesterday all the others that don't have Parental Controls on got it too.

                                > Beta just came back to me. I don't know what happened, why it went
                                away for 2-3 weeks.....? I'm on f820.

                              • Nancy J
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 31 8:03 AM
                                  I agree about the program refreshing with just the smallest use -- like scrolling. That slows things down too much. It shouldn't reload everytime one makes even the simplest change (like scrolling down to lead this message!).

                                  But, as I compose this email, this new build (I'm on server f308) seems to be refreshing less (at least I can scroll within in this email, without having to wait another 10 seconds for the page to reload). That's EXCELLENT for those of us on a slower box.

                                  Thanks for bringing BACK the scan tool for attachments. That was in the classic, and much more needed in this version (due to the bug with the attachment icon not always showing).

                                  The continued gain in interface speed (and lack of constant refreshing) is what I'm happiest about so far (the most important thing to me). This is a step in the right direction.

                                  I didn't have a pressing need for the collapsable folders, but that's there, and that's fine. I see the rich text option (interesting, although I rarely use rich text, but if I do need it one fine day, its there).

                                  How about doing something to change how tabs works (or doesn't work)? As I too have a slow computer (like my friend whose message I'm commenting on), the open tabs slow down the program (and cause me to be constantly closing these tabs). Tabs shouldn't just open -- they should have some options to make them usable for a specific purpose. Since I have a lot of mail, suddenly as I'm clearing my thousands each day (literally), I'll suddenly notice that things are slowing cause I have five tabs open (as they ultimatically open and stay open as I'm opening, reading, and deleting mail). Please do something about this. Tabs is a good option -- WHEN YOU NEED IT! Not when you're clearing a lot of mail from the box.

                                  Otherwise, its faster. Yeah!

                                  SEACH OPTIONS -- Thanks Chris for the info on keyboard shortcuts to make finding a message more versatile. I would have responded to that message directly, but after several days of email, the irony is that I can't easily find it! LOL I'll have to search the site, as I need to save that info to my computer. I get too danged much email.

                                  The search options should not be something that an email enthusiast figures out and post to a web blog. The parameters should be easily chosen options in the interface for anyone to easily use. Yahoo, if are you reading -- PLEASE ADD more search options that I can see and use within the email interface itself (not special keyboard codes that somebody discovered (it could be added to the help section).

                                  L8!
                                  Nancy J
                                  Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

                                  "Most people today think that 'Ho, Ho, Ho' stands for
                                  Nicole Ritchie standing next to the Hilton sisters..."
                                  The Boondocks on Santa Claus

                                  "I only make jokes to distract myself from the truth..."
                                  Sia/Zero 7

                                  http://360.yahoo.com/ordinaryfoolisnj
                                  http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 31 9:02 AM
                                    Yeah me too, but I guess I would be harry to stay away from the new build, since there are a few users complaining about the ads changing fast. I have a Download/Upload limit, and if that is the case I would be loose my limit sooner than before :(

                                    Goutam

                                    Mad Goldfish wrote:
                                    > I've got the upgrade too, and I've noticed, in addition to the below,
                                    > that the "handy hints" panel is now above the folder list. New
                                    > contacts list is much better, but I wish I could have that and a
                                    > folder open at the same time.
                                    >
                                    > @<
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    >
                                    > Find me at http://360.yahoo.com/mad_goldfish

                                  • Ing. Rafael E. Silva
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 31 9:27 AM
                                      Please, when you inform the new version, please add, the farm number.
                                      This is located at the top of the page. In my case it says...

                                      http://us.f527.mail.yahoo.com

                                      where the farm no. is f 527

                                      Thanks,
                                      Rafael E. Silva

                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 31 2:25 PM
                                        There are two other changes on the new build nobody talked about:

                                        - you now see if you have new messages (and how many) in the header
                                        (so you can see it even if the window or tab is minimized). It's very
                                        handy, Gmail already had this feature and finally Yahoo! Mail too,
                                        it's nice.

                                        - The RSS feeds are not listed in the same order as on your My Yahoo!
                                        page(s) anymore, it's now listed alphabetically (I don't think it's a
                                        good idea, but anyway I use My Yahoo! for my RSS feeds, not Yahoo! Mail).

                                        The changes on the new build are good in my opinion, except as other
                                        said the "home" tab which is useless, and the ads which are changing for
                                        every single click.

                                        I'm particularly happy to now have a "select all" option, to be able to
                                        see if I have new messages in the header (as I said before) and to be
                                        able to see the size of the attachments.
                                      • James
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 31 4:13 PM
                                          I'm glad Yahoo's finally giving all paying at&t users the beta, no
                                          sign-up necessary.

                                          Yah i heard that it doesn't work with the parental controls; i guess
                                          for the time being you'll need to either open the door to full access
                                          on those accounts or let them go beta-free

                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 31 4:17 PM
                                            FYI: The [mark all read] item on the folder right-click menu was on
                                            the old one. (I'm still on the old version/build)

                                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Mad Goldfish <mad_goldfish@...> wrote:

                                            > Another couple of things I've noticed:
                                            >
                                            > * Clicking on an attachment now brings up a Norton AntiVirus scan
                                            window, followed by the option to download. (Which fixes one of my
                                            reasons for having to switch back, so big thanks to Yahoo for that).

                                            > * Right-click on a folder has the option to mark as read (that might
                                            have been there before but I can't remember, and it's very, very
                                            useful for me.)

                                            > @<
                                            >
                                            > --
                                            >
                                            > Find me at http://360.yahoo.com/mad_goldfish

                                            between "Mail Options" and "Mail for Mobile."
                                            > - When loading the mail client, you get a little bouncing guy.
                                            >
                                            > That's all I could notice.
                                            >
                                            > Olivier

                                            > Expert advice
                                            Expert