Using Blue Frog With Yahoo! Mail Beta

  • sgoodlett1981
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 26, 2006
      I love Yahoo! Mail Beta, but I recently went through a period where I
      was getting horrible amounts of spam (20-30 per day and none of them
      had unsubscribe links). I signed up for bluefrog (I use Firefox) but
      it doesn't seem to work with Yahoo! Beta. I have to use bluefrog
      because the Yahoo! spam button does nothing and sadly 500 email
      addresses is way too few to be able to block.

      I find myself having to save my spam messages, switch over to regular
      Yahoo! Mail and report them using bluefrog that way.

      Is there any better spam protection coming, or any compatability issues
      that I'm missing?
    • Sasafrass
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 26, 2006
        If you need a reason to sign up for a plus account, this is it! I use
        Thunderbird, & I have my filters set so that any emails from someone NOT
        in my addressbook goes to the trash, so there's no spam in my inbox :) I
        don't get much spam(yet), just 1 or 2 here & there. But like you, I once
        got about 30 a day at an old account which I had to cancel, because the
        spam annoyed me so much! So I can understand how you feel.... But those
        unsubscribe links never work anyway, you only get more spam! I would
        suggest getting a plus account if you can, & use Thunderbird to retrieve
        your mail.

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 26, 2006
          Seeing the "unsubscribe" links as a good thing is the first behaviour
          correction needed here. They just confirm to spammers and spam farms
          that your email addy is a "live one" to be hit with even more volume.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sgoodlett1981" <sgoodlett1981@...> wrote:

          > I love Yahoo! Mail Beta, but I recently went through a period where I
          > was getting horrible amounts of spam (20-30 per day and none of them
          > had unsubscribe links). I signed up for bluefrog (I use Firefox) but
          > it doesn't seem to work with Yahoo! Beta. I have to use bluefrog
          > because the Yahoo! spam button does nothing and sadly 500 email
          > addresses is way too few to be able to block.
          >
          > I find myself having to save my spam messages, switch over to regular
          > Yahoo! Mail and report them using bluefrog that way.
          >
          > Is there any better spam protection coming, or any compatability issues
          > that I'm missing?

        • Narayanan Srinivasan
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 27, 2006
            How good is this bluefrog thingie? I would like to try it too. It works with BETA mail too?

            Regards,
            Narayanan

            I love Yahoo! Mail Beta, but I recently went through a period where I
            was getting horrible amounts of spam (20-30 per day and none of them
            had unsubscribe links). I signed up for bluefrog (I use Firefox) but
            it doesn't seem to work with Yahoo! Beta. I have to use bluefrog
            because the Yahoo! spam button does nothing and sadly 500 email
            addresses is way too few to be able to block.

            I find myself having to save my spam messages, switch over to regular
            Yahoo! Mail and report them using bluefrog that way.

            Is there any better spam protection coming, or any compatability issues
            that I'm missing?

            Expert advice Expert Advice
            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

          • sgoodlett1981
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 28, 2006
              I really like Blue Frog. Since I've been using it nearly all my spam
              is gone. The only thing is that it doesn't seem to work with Yahoo!
              Mail Beta!

              -
              -- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Narayanan Srinivasan <narayans80@...>
              wrote:

              > How good is this bluefrog thingie? I would like to try it too. It
              works with BETA mail too?

              > Regards,
              > Narayanan

              advice
              Expert
              Advice

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.
              Service.

            • sgoodlett1981
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 28, 2006
                I already have a plus account, but the problem is that I do a lot of
                blogging so I receive letters from unknown addresses all the time. I
                don't want to block those out. I really only use Yahoo! (I have a
                gmail, but it's just for a few people and I have no troubles with it)
                so I don't really need a Thunderbird at the moment. I just wish they
                would allow more email addresses to be blocked.

                Thanks!

                > If you need a reason to sign up for a plus account, this is it! I
                use
                > Thunderbird, & I have my filters set so that any emails from
                someone NOT
                > in my addressbook goes to the trash, so there's no spam in my
                inbox :) I
                > don't get much spam(yet), just 1 or 2 here & there. But like you, I
                once
                > got about 30 a day at an old account which I had to cancel, because
                the
                > spam annoyed me so much! So I can understand how you feel.... But
                those
                > unsubscribe links never work anyway, you only get more spam! I
                would
                > suggest getting a plus account if you can, & use Thunderbird to
                retrieve
                > your mail.

                > sgoodlett1981 wrote:
                > > I love Yahoo! Mail Beta, but I recently went through a period
                where I
                > > was getting horrible amounts of spam (20-30 per day and none of
                them
                > > had unsubscribe links). I signed up for bluefrog (I use Firefox)
                but
                > > it doesn't seem to work with Yahoo! Beta. I have to use bluefrog
                > > because the Yahoo! spam button does nothing and sadly 500 email
                > > addresses is way too few to be able to block.
                > >
                > > I find myself having to save my spam messages, switch over to
                regular
                > > Yahoo! Mail and report them using bluefrog that way.
                > >
                > > Is there any better spam protection coming, or any compatability
                issues
                > > that I'm missing?

                > > Expert advice
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Expert+advice&w1=Expert+advice&w2=Expert&w3=Advice&c=3&s=43&.si
                g=4lLElCJaz6bcmXbuz7zWWw>
                > > Expert
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Expert&w1=Expert+advice&w2=Expert&w3=Advice&c=3&s=43&.sig=bpn4j
                82VdOQreyk1AqD8sw>
                > > Advice
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Advice&w1=Expert+advice&w2=Expert&w3=Advice&c=3&s=43&.sig=xliPN
                e0bGQRCYgvVpjfH2g>

                subject=Unsubscribe>

              • Goutam Nath
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 28, 2006
                  What is bluefrog ?

                  Goutam

                  I love Yahoo! Mail Beta, but I recently went through a period where I
                  was getting horrible amounts of spam (20-30 per day and none of them
                  had unsubscribe links). I signed up for bluefrog (I use Firefox) but
                  it doesn't seem to work with Yahoo! Beta. I have to use bluefrog
                  because the Yahoo! spam button does nothing and sadly 500 email
                  addresses is way too few to be able to block.

                  I find myself having to save my spam messages, switch over to regular
                  Yahoo! Mail and report them using bluefrog that way.

                  Is there any better spam protection coming, or any compatability issues
                  that I'm missing?

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Sasafrass
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 28, 2006
                    Well, I guess that makes it tougher to block spam. I guess Thunderbird
                    wouldn't be much help then, but it is a very nice email client. Looks
                    like you'll just have to deal with it.

                    sgoodlett1981 wrote:
                    > I already have a plus account, but the problem is that I do a lot of
                    > blogging so I receive letters from unknown addresses all the time. I
                    > don't want to block those out. I really only use Yahoo! (I have a
                    > gmail, but it's just for a few people and I have no troubles with it)
                    > so I don't really need a Thunderbird at the moment. I just wish they
                    > would allow more email addresses to be blocked.
                    >
                    > Thanks!

                  • Liz Yumrutepe
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 28, 2006
                      go to http://www.bluesecurity.com/ and you will know

                      -----
                      Fight back spam! Download the Blue Frog.
                      http://www.bluesecurity.com/register/s?user=cG9saXNoc2lyZW43Mjc1

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 30, 2006
                        Actually what is the use of this blue frog? What it does is report spam messages from my Spam/Bulk Mail folder alone right? On an average I still get about 30 spams per day. Is that number suppose to reduce on bluefrog usage? Well for now am just climbing higher on the spam rankings :D

                        Also bluefrog works only with the Classical interface and does'nt work with the new BETA interface. The same case with Hotmail too, you might need to opt out of Beta to try bluefrog on Hotmail.

                        Regards,
                        Narayanan

                      • Sasafrass
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 1 5:29 AM
                          The best way to keep spam from your inbox is to set your filters so that
                          any email from someone NOT in your address book will go to the trash. I
                          know it can be a pain with Yahoo's filters, since you'd have to add each
                          address from your contacts list. But if you have a plus account, you
                          should use Thunderbird which has excellent filters.

                          IM me! Sasafrass452 (Yahoo)

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 3 9:00 PM
                            I hope this will answer your query :-
                            http://news.com.com/Antispam%20list%20gets%20spammed/2100-7349_3-
                            6068392.html?tag=newsmap

                            Goutam

                            wrote:

                            > Actually what is the use of this blue frog? What it does is report
                            spam messages from my Spam/Bulk Mail folder alone right? On an
                            average I still get about 30 spams per day. Is that number suppose
                            to reduce on bluefrog usage? Well for now am just climbing higher on
                            the spam rankings :D

                            > Also bluefrog works only with the Classical interface and does'nt
                            work with the new BETA interface. The same case with Hotmail too,
                            you might need to opt out of Beta to try bluefrog on Hotmail.

                            > Regards,
                            > Narayanan

                          • Goutam Nath
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 3 11:59 PM
                              Well, it didn't appear properly here, so I will post it again

                              http://news.com.com/Antispam%20list%20gets%20spammed/2100-7349_3-6068392.html?tag=newsmap

                              Cheers,
                              Goutam

                              > Actually what is the use of this blue frog? What it does is report
                              spam messages from my Spam/Bulk Mail folder alone right? On an
                              average I still get about 30 spams per day. Is that number suppose
                              to reduce on bluefrog usage? Well for now am just climbing higher on
                              the spam rankings :D

                              > Also bluefrog works only with the Classical interface and does'nt
                              work with the new BETA interface. The same case with Hotmail too,
                              you might need to opt out of Beta to try bluefrog on Hotmail.

                              > Regards,
                              > Narayanan

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Mad Goldfish
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 4 2:10 AM
                                You might also be interested in this article, suggesting that Blue Security might have some responsibility for the Denial of Service on SixApart, TypePad and LiveJournal, after they redirected their spammed homepage to their blog page.

                                http://q.queso.com/archives/001917

                                @<

                                Find me at http://360.yahoo.com/mad_goldfish

                                > Actually what is the use of this blue frog? What it does is report
                                spam messages from my Spam/Bulk Mail folder alone right? On an
                                average I still get about 30 spams per day. Is that number suppose
                                to reduce on bluefrog usage? Well for now am just climbing higher on
                                the spam rankings :D

                                > Also bluefrog works only with the Classical interface and does'nt
                                work with the new BETA interface. The same case with Hotmail too,
                                you might need to opt out of Beta to try bluefrog on Hotmail.

                                > Regards,
                                > Narayanan

                                Expert advice Expert Advice
                                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

                              • Jay Stephens
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 14 8:57 AM
                                  I love Thunderbird, however, am I the only one who has had problems with Thunderbird not deleting read messages from the inbox file? Several times my Thunderbird inbox grew to well over 1gb ( and yes I had the settings set to delete read messages ). I finally gave up on it.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 14 9:49 AM
                                    After reading an email, don't you use the delete button? Perhaps you
                                    should try that.

                                    IM me! Sasafrass452 (Yahoo)