Re: [Y-Mail] An introduction and my thoughts on the beta

  • Perwira Osman
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
      Dear Jay Bienvenu,
      I agree with you.

      Perwira Osman

    • _TheClash_
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
        There's a lot that I don't like about the Beta also, however, quickly
        selecting all emails on the screen is not that difficult. While there is no
        single-click "select all" button, you can still easily select and deselect
        mutiple emails in just the same way that you would select and deselect
        multiple files in Windows, using the ctrl or shift key and the mouse or
        arrow buttons.

        On 4/3/06, Jay Bienvenu <jay@...> wrote:

        > Hello, everyone. I've been reading this group for a few days now but
        > decided to
        > make my first post.
        >
        > I am not using the beta. I tried it when I first got the invitation, and I
        > HATED it. It made checking my email much more difficult.
        >
        > There were many things missing that I rely on to check my email rapidly.
        > There
        > was no "View Messages from Unknown Senders" feature. No Address Book icon.
        > No
        > ability to select all messages. I receive so much spam in my inbox
        > (despite
        > using SpamGuard) that I must be able to quickly identify the spam and
        > delete it
        > all at once. I could not do that in Beta.
        >
        > I have other concerns. I need to be able to see the size of the message
        > and the
        > message date. I also found the Beta to be very slow. I need something that
        > loads quickly. I don't need an interface that resembles Outlook. If I did,
        > would use Outlook.
        >
        > Someone mentioned the need to filter out unread messages. Just keep the
        > whole
        > "View" menu as it is.
        >
        > I'd like to see hierarchical folders as well. I use Yahoo Mail exclusively
        > for
        > my email. I receive email from friends and family, from business contacts,
        > and
        > from mailing lists, and I use folders and filters to sort them out. Right
        > now I
        > have to simulate hierarchical folders with naming conventions. It would be
        > nice
        > to have truly hierarchical folders a la Outlook.
        >
        > I'd like to close on a positive note, with complements to the entire Yahoo
        > team. I use whatever is built into my Yahoo account before I consider
        > using
        > another service or site. I've even defended Yahoo against the naysayers
        > who
        > think that Yahoo is falling behind in the Internet industry. To me,
        > "google" is
        > just an extremely large number. :) I am a Mail Plus subscriber. I'm a
        > "power
        > user," and I cannot think of any other website that offers as many
        > features on
        > one account as Yahoo does. I'm looking forward to the innovations that
        > will
        > make my Yahoo account even more useful and more valuable.

      • Jay Bienvenu
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
          Control- or shift-clicking the spam in my inbox is not an acceptable option.

          I can tolerate that on my Outlook account at work where I get only a few
          messages at a time. I cannot tolerate that in Yahoo Mail when I get dozens of
          spam messages in my inbox *every day*. Control- or shift-selecting every single
          message is simply too much of a drag to be an acceptable option here. It is
          definitely not a "rapid fire" selction when most of the messages in your inbox
          are spam and you cannot select all of them with one click or keystroke.

          ---

          Nelson Pacheco <redsox_2004champs@...> wrote:
          > I get lots of spam when I pop my comcast account, easiest way for me to mark
          them as spam is to hold down CTRL then selct the messages I want.

          jbeaul wrote:
          > Holding down the Ctrl-Key while clicking messages enables rapid-fire
          selecting of spam within a list of valid messages.

          Jay Bienvenu | jay@... | www.bienvenu.net
        • Liz Yumrutepe
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
            when replying to a message in a group setting keep original text!!!!

            http://www.kaplan.edu
            " Knowledge is the key to life "

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
              you can use the shortcut by clicking ctrl+a that selects all

              http://www.kaplan.edu
              " Knowledge is the key to life "

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
                Liz Yumrutepe <polishsiren@...> wrote:
                > you can use the shortcut by clicking ctrl+a that selects all

                The last time I used Beta, that command did a Reply All (a command I almost
                never use) rather than a Select All. Did that change?

                Jay Bienvenu | jay@... | www.bienvenu.net
              • Chris Price
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 4, 2006
                  Shift-A is the 'Reply all' key, Ctrl-A is the 'Select All'

                  http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/ymail/usingit/usingit-01.html

                  Chris.

                  > you can use the shortcut by clicking ctrl+a that selects all

                  The last time I used Beta, that command did a Reply All (a command I almost
                  never use) rather than a Select All. Did that change?

                  Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

                • Elizabeth
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
                    I belong to, well let's just say "Many" yahoo groups, and have for
                    quite awhile. One of the problems encountered is that a lot of
                    people get their emails via the daily digest. When people "reply"
                    and include the entire message text, the digest quickly becomes a
                    Pain. One of the ways to combat this is to give a brief
                    summary, like
                    "Liz Yumrutepe said: when replying to a message in a group setting
                    keep original text!!!!"
                    and then reply to it.

                    If the thread heads into a different topic, you can start a new
                    email with a unique subject and a quick reference to something in
                    the former email, so people who skim their email will know that it's
                    not just another person adding their comments to an existing topic.

                    Or another way, if you have a problem
                    following the thread because the complete text of the previous
                    (responded to) email is gone, is to go the group site, read the
                    messages from there and there is a link called "Up thread" that will
                    show you the (responded to) message.
                    Also, if the thread gets long and you find it difficult to follow,
                    the group site will show a threaded view when reading the original
                    email. For example, on Jay's original email (at the bottom), the
                    replies are threaded. It's difficult to show right now, but it
                    shows that message 3229 was a response to 3214 which was a response
                    to 3208, which was a response to the original email (3202). My view
                    is set on summary which may give more or less of a description of
                    the email than others'. I cut and pasted this example below, but
                    just to illustrate it.

                    Thanks, Elizabeth

                    Replies Author Date
                    3203 Re: An introduction and my thoughts on the beta
                    There's nothing wrong with not liking the current state of the Beta -
                    we are still only at v0.3.0 and so missing features is to be
                    expected. You feedback is... Chris Price
                    pricecs
                    Apr 3, 2006
                    10:54 am
                    3204 Re: An introduction and my thoughts on the beta
                    I agree! This IS beta still so expect problems. Definitely send out
                    a feedback of what problems you are encountering. This helps you and
                    others mold Yahoo... John M Catral
                    johncatral
                    Apr 3, 2006
                    12:35 pm
                    3205 Re: An introduction and my thoughts on the beta
                    Your address book is now a Contacts folder on the left. I get lots
                    of spam when I pop my comcast account, easiest way for me to mark
                    them as spam is to hold... Nelson Pacheco
                    redsox_2004c...
                    Apr 3, 2006
                    12:35 pm
                    3221 Re: An introduction and my thoughts on the beta
                    Control- or shift-clicking the spam in my inbox is not an acceptable
                    option. I can tolerate that on my Outlook account at work where I
                    get only a few messages... Jay Bienvenu
                    bienvenunet
                    Apr 3, 2006
                    8:54 pm
                    3206 Re: An introduction and my thoughts on the beta
                    Dear Jay Bienvenu, I agree with you. Perwira Osman [Non-text
                    portions of this message have been removed]... Perwira Osman
                    perwira.osman
                    Apr 3, 2006
                    12:35 pm
                    3213 Re: An introduction and my thoughts on the beta
                    when replying to a message in a group setting keep original
                    text!!!! "Success is a journey, not a destination'"
                    ========================================== ... Liz Yumrutepe
                    polishsiren
                    Apr 3, 2006
                    6:12 pm
                    3208 Re: An introduction and my thoughts on the beta
                    There's a lot that I don't like about the Beta also, however,
                    quickly selecting all emails on the screen is not that difficult.
                    While there is no single-click... _theclash_
                    Apr 3, 2006
                    12:36 pm
                    3214 Re: An introduction and my thoughts on the beta
                    you can use the shortcut by clicking ctrl+a that selects
                    all "Success is a journey, not a destination'"
                    ========================================== ... Liz Yumrutepe
                    polishsiren
                    Apr 3, 2006
                    6:15 pm
                    3229 Re: An introduction and my thoughts on the beta
                    ... The last time I used Beta, that command did a Reply All (a
                    command I almost never use) rather than a Select All. Did that
                    change? ...
                  • Jay Stephens
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 15, 2006
                      As I read the shortcut link you supplied, "a" is reply, "Shift a" is reply all and "Ctrl a" is Select all.

                      Shift-A is the 'Reply all' key, Ctrl-A is the 'Select All'

                      http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/ymail/usingit/usingit-01.html

                      Chris.

                      > you can use the shortcut by clicking ctrl+a that selects all

                      The last time I used Beta, that command did a Reply All (a command I almost
                      never use) rather than a Select All. Did that change?

                      Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Suzi:
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 15, 2006
                        I use just "a" to reply to all
                        and "r" to reply to sender.
                        Ctrl A to select all.
                        I use these in the Yahoo Mail Beta.

                        Have a great day!

                        Suzi

                        As I read the shortcut link you supplied, "a" is reply, "Shift a" is reply
                        all and "Ctrl a" is Select all.

                        Shift-A is the 'Reply all' key, Ctrl-A is the 'Select All'

                        http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/ymail/usingit/usingit-01.html

                        Chris.

                        > you can use the shortcut by clicking ctrl+a that selects all

                        The last time I used Beta, that command did a Reply All (a command I almost
                        never use) rather than a Select All. Did that change?

                        Jay Bienvenu | jay@... | www.bienvenu.net

                        Expert advice
                        Expert
                        Advice