Re: [Y-Mail] Notifier?

  • Rebekah
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2005
      I use the Yahoo Messenger mainly as an email notifier. I don't have any people listed there, and even if I had, I could log in as «invisible» when I wanted to be left alone. It is a good thing, there is this little voice telling me that I have Yahoo Mail.

      rojascremonesi <rojascremonesi@...> wrote:I have been (again) a Yahoo mail user for a little while, after not
      using it for so long. It is indeed a great email platform.
      Now I hear all this buzz about a new email interface based in Oddpost,
      but one of the things I'd really want Yahoo to consider is a mail
      notifier kind of like the one Gmail offers.

      It's a tiny application on your desktop which tells you if you get new
      mail. So far, the ways you know you have new Y! mail is by either
      "refreshing" the toolbar or by having Y! messenger on.

      So it would be great to have some kind of notifier application.. Just
      my 2 cents.

      One god, many faiths...one world to share...

    • rojascremonesi
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2005
        Do you know of any different mirrors for the extension? The one you
        gave me would not work when I tried to do the install

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <guillaume.belfiore@g...>
        wrote:
        > Well if you use Firefox, this might interest you:
        > http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=3475
        >
        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "rojascremonesi" <rojascremonesi@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I have been (again) a Yahoo mail user for a little while, after not
        > > using it for so long. It is indeed a great email platform.
        > > Now I hear all this buzz about a new email interface based in
        > Oddpost,
        > > but one of the things I'd really want Yahoo to consider is a mail
        > > notifier kind of like the one Gmail offers.
        > >
        > > It's a tiny application on your desktop which tells you if you get
        > new
        > > mail. So far, the ways you know you have new Y! mail is by either
        > > "refreshing" the toolbar or by having Y! messenger on.
        > >
        > > So it would be great to have some kind of notifier application.. Just
        > > my 2 cents.
      • Guillaume
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2005
          Well the official extension site also seems to have errors from the
          comments posted. Well you might give it a try:
          https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=470

          I did not install it, as I'm on Y! Messenger as well
          Also a Google Search for free email notifier has tons of result, but
          thiswouls mean third party apps and not built in the browser. I guess
          Y! Mess is the best bet for now. Sth might come out with the new Y!
          Mail who know !!

          wrote:
          > Do you know of any different mirrors for the extension? The one you
          > gave me would not work when I tried to do the install
          >
          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <guillaume.belfiore@g...>
          > wrote:
          > > Well if you use Firefox, this might interest you:
          > > http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=3475
          > >
          > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "rojascremonesi" <rojascremonesi@y...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > I have been (again) a Yahoo mail user for a little while, after not
          > > > using it for so long. It is indeed a great email platform.
          > > > Now I hear all this buzz about a new email interface based in
          > > Oddpost,
          > > > but one of the things I'd really want Yahoo to consider is a mail
          > > > notifier kind of like the one Gmail offers.
          > > >
          > > > It's a tiny application on your desktop which tells you if you get
          > > new
          > > > mail. So far, the ways you know you have new Y! mail is by either
          > > > "refreshing" the toolbar or by having Y! messenger on.
          > > >
          > > > So it would be great to have some kind of notifier application..
          Just
          > > > my 2 cents.
        • rojascremonesi
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2005
            After looking at that page you gave me, I stumped onto this link:

            http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/extfirefox/A's_Yahoo!_mail_notifier_0.6_enh_v3.1.xpi

            This is the one that actually works! It looks good so far.

            Thing is, I love Y! Messenger as much as anyone, but I guess I'm used
            to having a small, not-much-of-a-RAM-hog notifier. Because Y! Mess is
            like a swiss knife, it has many many features but sometimes I just
            don't need them. I have Y!ME so I don't need the Launchcast radio
            built into Messenger anymore, for example.

            wrote:
            > Well the official extension site also seems to have errors from the
            > comments posted. Well you might give it a try:
            > https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=470
            >
            > I did not install it, as I'm on Y! Messenger as well
            > Also a Google Search for free email notifier has tons of result, but
            > thiswouls mean third party apps and not built in the browser. I guess
            > Y! Mess is the best bet for now. Sth might come out with the new Y!
            > Mail who know !!
            >

            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "rojascremonesi" <rojascremonesi@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Do you know of any different mirrors for the extension? The one you
            > > gave me would not work when I tried to do the install
            > >
            > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <guillaume.belfiore@g...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > Well if you use Firefox, this might interest you:
            > > > http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=3475
            > > >
            > > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "rojascremonesi"
            <rojascremonesi@y...>
            > > > Oddpost,

            > > > new

            > Just
          • jbeaul
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
              Yahoo! provides two means of new mail notification:

              1) Yahoo! Toolbar --> http://toolbar.yahoo.com/
              2) Yahoo! Messenger --> http://messenger.yahoo.com/

              There are many third-party Windows applications out there also. One
              that I have used successfully is PopTray --> http://www.poptray.org/.

              Hope this helps.

              Joe